Cape Epic without spectators - Not Epic

Pamie

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they refund 2020 entrants?  Genuine question - I don't know?  If they didn't then surely they are in no different position than normal?  

On the other hand, if all 2020 entries got deferred to 2021 at no cost or they refunded, then your point is valid.

I don't think you understand the business model.

It will certainly be interesting to see how they plan the race villages. Unlike the Tdf, Giro etc. where Teams are all split up and sleep & eat in seperate digs, the Epic has the huge feeding tents and shared shower & bathroom facilities. The risks of spreading the virus at the Epic is far greater, as can be seen almost every year with the gippo guts that spreads like wildfire. IMHO, spectators are the least of their worries, there will still be TV coverage.

It will certainly be interesting to see how they plan the race villages. Unlike the Tdf, Giro etc. where Teams are all split up and sleep & eat in seperate digs, the Epic has the huge feeding tents and shared shower & bathroom facilities. The risks of spreading the virus at the Epic is far greater, as can be seen almost every year with the gippo guts that spreads like wildfire. IMHO, spectators are the least of their worries, there will still be TV coverage.

Maybe they will have a "collect your food" or whatever

I am sure they will adhere to rules, but more importantly I think it is everyones right to decide if they want to do it.

OP like it was said here, if you dnt want to risk it then dont sell your entry to someone who wants to take the risk. Like taking the drop off or the chicken run.....everyone should make their own choice.

Burn them! 

Epic is lame anyway. Seriously, how cool would it be if they had an 8 day race, But day 1 was a prologue, day 2 was an XCM, day 3 was an XCO, day 4 was an Enduro, day 5 an XCM, day 6 an XCM with some 'super segments' both down and up that get timed and then added to your overall day time, day 7 was another short, fast technical xcm and the race finished with the last XCM with a rad timed Downhill to the finish. (Or another enduro or whatever)

You have to use the same bike for everything.

8 days of same same... pffft

Dinosaurs will die

If you can't enjoy a ride without someone watching it or knowing about it- You may as well walk away from the sport now because you not doing it for the right reasons.

Be glad there is an event and a chance to ride some epic trails as hard as you can and escape the real world for a week to spend some quality bum on saddle time...

If you can't enjoy a ride without someone watching it or knowing about it- You may as well walk away from the sport now because you not doing it for the right reasons.

Be glad there is an event and a chance to ride some epic trails as hard as you can and escape the real world for a week to spend some quality bum on saddle time...

Thank heavens we're all different.

is it essential to have a race village?

What if they test everyone before they go in, doesn't this system effectively make is easier to control a "race bubble"?

is it essential to have a race village?

nope, and I'm sure many will prefer there not to be but how will entry fee be affected by the removal of the race village (accom and meals)?

probably wont change ay'

If it doesn't go ahead in 2021 there may never be another Epic. They have still been paying people to main trails, they have admin costs (yes, people have been planning, weighing up options, looking at scenarios, asking what ifs, etc). These costs have not disappeared, and the financial impact of not hosting it in 2021 will be detrimental.

I think everyone will be happy if they can ride the Epic, with or without spectators

They do not pay people to maintain trails. If your trail is on their route the privilege of maintaining said trail is for your bill.

They have now taken out sufficient event insurance to cover another cancellation so if 2021 gets cancelled then they will have the capital to organise 2022. Beyond that is anyone's guess but I suspect interest will have waned. The Cape Epic is a strong brand and maintains a strong global following so there will always be enough people interested to make up 600 teams.

There are things that may have to change like the entry fee structures. 50K per rider is now firmly in the realm of business owners and senior management employees

Burn them! 

Epic is lame anyway. Seriously, how cool would it be if they had an 8 day race, But day 1 was a prologue, day 2 was an XCM, day 3 was an XCO, day 4 was an Enduro, day 5 an XCM, day 6 an XCM with some 'super segments' both down and up that get timed and then added to your overall day time, day 7 was another short, fast technical xcm and the race finished with the last XCM with a rad timed Downhill to the finish. (Or another enduro or whatever)

You have to use the same bike for everything.

8 days of same same... pffft

Dinosaurs will die

I like this idea a lot. 

Re the OP's post - perhaps if you've splurged nearly half a bar on kit, bikes and an entry for your team, you start to feel a little short changed when there's no heaving mass of ululating spectators on the prologue. Bwahahahahaha.

What if they test everyone before they go in, doesn't this system effectively make is easier to control a "race bubble"?

You still need the quarantine period. people will arrive from all corners of the earth and country.

Didn't work for Bling mathews and Special K with a much more controlled environment, so no. this event will take place with a high chance of people having the virus.

so you just make it a social distanceable event.

no hooha hype. just all go back to your bnb each day. won't work with the current corporate sponsor/engagement/private client schmoozing thing, but if you make a decent bubble for your team in luxury places it could be quite lekker.

I think everyone will be happy if the event is cancelled and we focus on 2022. The uncertainty and risks is just to high and take all fun out off the event. a Cape Epic without spectators is a big NO and then there is the strong possibility no international riders, thus is not a epic event. Why taking the risk with the uncertainty and putting up stage towns and spending money and the risk is still there that the event will be cancelled. We do not want to end up in the same situation like 2020. The families and spectators also bring the money to the regions. Be safe and make most people happy and cancel. No uncertainty and all is happy. Then 2022 will be kick ass event with all the Olympian medalists as well. I am very unhappy if we are forced to proceed under these crap regulations. This will not be a Epic, virtual cannot replace the experience sorry

No they wont

They do not pay people to maintain trails. If your trail is on their route the privilege of maintaining said trail is for your bill.

They have now taken out sufficient event insurance to cover another cancellation so if 2021 gets cancelled then they will have the capital to organise 2022. Beyond that is anyone's guess but I suspect interest will have waned. The Cape Epic is a strong brand and maintains a strong global following so there will always be enough people interested to make up 600 teams.

There are things that may have to change like the entry fee structures. 50K per rider is now firmly in the realm of business owners and senior management employees

To your point of 50k per rider. For households like ours where both of us are very keen competitive cyclists, the possibility of my husband and I being able to ever race the epic together is slim. Having the stars align to get a lottery entry, or have cash at hand to drop on the day the entries open plus all of the cumulative expenses of training, servicing equipment, nutrition etc for two people all out of the same household becomes something of a pipe dream unless you are ultra successful.