Merida announce all-new NINETY-SIX XC racer including a trail spec

News bot

I do like the bikes.

Value for money the bikes loose out on the Titan Racing Cypher range.

Both Merida and Titan has same distributor.

Merida1s for some reason unknown to me never sell high volumes in SA.

Buying a new bike with these prices is not an option for me.

However holding out to see if their is specials late in 2021.

To be honest, this bike is now my number 1 shortly followed by the Cypher.

Same here, it's crazy to think one would need to fork out R70k on their entry level carbon bike. New bike prices aren't affordable any more

Same here, it's crazy to think one would need to fork out R70k on their entry level carbon bike. New bike prices aren't affordable any more

i think what they're banking on is the expected high demand of components and bikes from the bigger brands that rely of outsourced manufacturing whilst supply is constrained by lack factory capacity.

The bike industry is pricing itself into financed territory which is going to be just another bubble

It's weird how that R115k they want for the GX bike can actually put you on a boutique brand if you shop around carefully. 

I spent less than that on my latest build. Yes I run SLX on the derailleur side but it is purely because a wrecked high end derailleur is an expensive replacement. 

Well 140k could have bought you Wanyemol's spec'd to the max sub 10kg 'dale, with AXS, Trickstuff, custom built wheels, and a bunch of other stuff. The difference between AXS (be it XX1 or XO1) and GX components is worth 25k alone.

I'm not sure about the total cost of the 'dale, but if you buy carefully you can definitely do a better build than what this Merida is.

Seems the best way to get a new bike now is collect parts and transfer parts and buy the frame you want - 115k builds you a better bike than this GX Merida with a bit of shopping around

That’s how I built my Evil. Careful shopping and collecting of parts.

Spent a fair bit less than R115k.

So it's not that nowadays you get a discount by buying the whole bike complete (since the manufacturer gets all sorts of OEM bulk pricing.

Seems to be that you now pay a premium for the privilege having a manufacturer put it all together for you.

Reminds me of that article about that S-works Epic Evo custom build, where it came out lighter, more aggressive and cheaper than the full-fat S-works on retail for R199k.

Component prices will likely catch up to the new bike prices as soon as the old stock flushes out and the new stuff starts arriving.

Always deals in the classifieds though  :thumbup:

great  looking bikes .

R115K for a GX bike!!!!! 

Interestingly, they have fitted an XX1 cassette and chain to the "8000" build, so its a bit better than a "GX build". Along with the Sid Ultimate fork, Sidluxe Ultimate shock and those Reynolds wheels, maybe makes a little bit more sense. Saying that, be prepared for some price shock as MY2021 bike ranges are launched from other brands. 

It doesn't look sexy on the spec chart but I think its a smart move up speccing the cassette and down speccing the derailleur.  I owned an XX1 cassette on my previous 2 bikes (same cassette) and though I did replace the alu granny ring twice, the CroMo machined body of the cassette just refused to die. I think its still out there somewhere, powering some farmers tractor. 

Are there stock in SA of these bikes?

On an Australian website, limited supply to them in December and the 8000 only in April.

Looks like they copied a lot from my SC Blur... especially the first few photos and the colour...

Would still rather ride my Blur but these are OK  :thumbup:

huh? did you forget comic sans perhaps?

Are there stock in SA of these bikes?

On an Australian website, limited supply to them in December and the 8000 only in April.

From the article: "The estimated availability is currently in January or February 2021."

No word on whether there is a delay on any specific models though.

I think it's a better looking bike than the Epic EVO.

It's also betting looking than my Cypher but that was R44.5k for a XT 1x12 Carbon bike.

I'm prepared to be attacked for my comment but by going with the geometries and the if it looks like a duck theory the ride of the Merida, Epic Evo and the Cypher will be very similar.

From the article: "The estimated availability is currently in January or February 2021."

No word on whether there is a delay on any specific models though.

Thanks Nick.

Soos my ..... gelees.

I should read the article again.

Seen three international sites that states a CF 5 frame for top of the range bike and CF 3 frame for rest. Other site shows CF 4 main frame with CF 5 rear stays.