Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

17 hours ago, CapSizer said:

Marine Drive in Tableview this afternoon, press the beg button at a pedestrian crossing, wait for the green man, one idiot in low rider zeffed up car races across the red, and his buddy behind overtakes at the same time. Two wide over a pedestrian crossing against the red. Not the first time that I've seen this. Traffic cops conspicuous by their absence. I think a two year gaol sentence for attempted murder might be appropriate. 

Not sure where but I have seen pedestrian crossings that has poles coming out of the ground when the light is red. 👌🏻

But in this country it would most likely get stolen for scrap, be an issue during loadshedding or come up at the wrong time with are special work force. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

Not sure where but I have seen pedestrian crossings that has poles coming out of the ground when the light is red. 👌🏻

But in this country it would most likely get stolen for scrap, be an issue during loadshedding or come up at the wrong time with are special work force. 

They would get a truck and come remove it after hours, like many fencing and bollards around the country

Then you get guys like this plonker, comes up behind me at a circle, I indicate, with my right hand outstretched to turn right, as I turn, he shouts profanities at me, I return them in kind but at this point he is already 15 m the other way. We both go our separate ways, he then turns around at some point, drives past me again and throws a coin at me which hits me in the chest. Stops and flips me off, only when a car comes up behind him does he move again. This video is the interaction when I caught up to him again, I got his number plate in case he escalated again, which he did, I didn't even look at him at the robot until he started his tirade. Threatening to run me over and break my legs

Edited by Newbie321

4 minutes ago, Newbie321 said:

Then you get guys like this plonker, comes up behind me at a circle, I indicate, with my right hand outstretched to turn right, as I turn, he shouts profanities at me, I return them in kind but at this point he is already 15 m the other way. We both go our separate ways, he then turns around at some point, drives past me again and throws a coin at me which hits me in the chest. Stops and flips me off, only when a car comes up behind him does he move again. This video is the interaction when I caught up to him again, I got his number plate in case he escalated again, which he did, I didn't even look at him at the robot until he started his tirade. Threating to run me over and break my legs

Durbanville road rager - YouTube

image.png.1979f6634873b7d310f50a6001b75e42.png

So here's an unpleasant experience. Riding back from my evening intervals session in bishops court headed down campground road in Newlands where the road narrows just after the robot when a chop in an beat up Toyota close passes me. Very close call. I shout "hey @sshole" which elicits a finger out the window.

He stops, looks like an uber driver letting out a passenger and pull up next to him and say "what the f$ck". He tells me to "f@ck off" and then I made a bad mistake. I hit his mirror pushing it closed and said "with pleasure" and rode off. 

Next thing he's roaring after me swearing and brake checking me. I dodge him and head through the traffic lights against the light. He chases after me, pulls up alongside and headed down  Camp ground road leans out of the window and starts whipping me with a sjambok. We're going about 35km an hour. Cars around hooting. I thought about pulling out my pepper spray but thought better of it cos ... Well he was barely in control of the car. Hit me 3 or 4 times.

I slammed on anchors to get away from him. He roared off, shooting the light. I chased him but couldn't keep up.

I went to the cop shop and told them what happened. Was pointed out to me that my hitting the mirror constituted grounds for him to open a case of malicious damage to property. I told them I'd think about whether I want to open a case. 

As it stands, he doesn't know who I am and has zero way of identifying me. Opening a case identifies me and opens me to a counter claim.

I have a partial number plate and the address where he dropped his passenger so making an ID is probably quite easy. 

The injuries are minor, I had more painful jacks at school. The situation was very dangerous though 

School fees, never smack someone's mirror.

Interested to hear Hubber thoughts.

8 minutes ago, Mamil said:

So here's an unpleasant experience. Riding back from my evening intervals session in bishops court headed down campground road in Newlands where the road narrows just after the robot when a chop in an beat up Toyota close passes me. Very close call. I shout "hey @sshole" which elicits a finger out the window.

He stops, looks like an uber driver letting out a passenger and pull up next to him and say "what the f$ck". He tells me to "f@ck off" and then I made a bad mistake. I hit his mirror pushing it closed and said "with pleasure" and rode off. 

Next thing he's roaring after me swearing and brake checking me. I dodge him and head through the traffic lights against the light. He chases after me, pulls up alongside and headed down  Camp ground road leans out of the window and starts whipping me with a sjambok. We're going about 35km an hour. Cars around hooting. I thought about pulling out my pepper spray but thought better of it cos ... Well he was barely in control of the car. Hit me 3 or 4 times.

I slammed on anchors to get away from him. He roared off, shooting the light. I chased him but couldn't keep up.

I went to the cop shop and told them what happened. Was pointed out to me that my hitting the mirror constituted grounds for him to open a case of malicious damage to property. I told them I'd think about whether I want to open a case. 

As it stands, he doesn't know who I am and has zero way of identifying me. Opening a case identifies me and opens me to a counter claim.

I have a partial number plate and the address where he dropped his passenger so making an ID is probably quite easy. 

The injuries are minor, I had more painful jacks at school. The situation was very dangerous though 

My thoughts are the musings of a troubled mind.

1. You should have realised it wasn't going to end well after he replied to your initial anger with reciprocated anger

2. You definitely shouldn't touch his car and ride off.....

BUT........ It is quite satisfying to get a little bit frisky with a knob head when you're in the mood. 

The law/case thing about malicious intent to harm his car is rubbish. The cop just doesn't want another case OR, which I think is more the case, he knows exactly who it is and doesn't want to tangle with him because he is probably a known mad man with violent tendencies and zero regard for consequence and relative retaliation.

I was at school with a guy who had very obvious mental issues and he used to snap sometimes. As kids, arguments and argy bargy were commonplace. He had zero idea of the scale of retaliation, so if the tennis ball was called out, he thought it was in, no, it was out, NO, IN! he would then attack you with a metal pole and hit you until 17 people pulled him off

He wouldn't remember doing it or why he did it.

Anyway, just be glad he didn't shoot you and remember that next time the urge to get frisky strikes, don't do it. A car will always win against a bicycle. A car is made of metal and hard bits and you are made of feelings and soft bits

21 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Knee jerk thought - IF he is an UBER driver, tracing him and reporting his behaviour to UBER may be an option ....  (pretty sure there are enough Hubbers that can assist via DM to trace him ...)

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

My thoughts are the musings of a troubled mind.

1. You should have realised it wasn't going to end well after he replied to your initial anger with reciprocated anger

2. You definitely shouldn't touch his car and ride off.....

BUT........ It is quite satisfying to get a little bit frisky with a knob head when you're in the mood. 

The law/case thing about malicious intent to harm his car is rubbish. The cop just doesn't want another case OR, which I think is more the case, he knows exactly who it is and doesn't want to tangle with him because he is probably a known mad man with violent tendencies and zero regard for consequence and relative retaliation.

I was at school with a guy who had very obvious mental issues and he used to snap sometimes. As kids, arguments and argy bargy were commonplace. He had zero idea of the scale of retaliation, so if the tennis ball was called out, he thought it was in, no, it was out, NO, IN! he would then attack you with a metal pole and hit you until 17 people pulled him off

He wouldn't remember doing it or why he did it.

Anyway, just be glad he didn't shoot you and remember that next time the urge to get frisky strikes, don't do it. A car will always win against a bicycle. A car is made of metal and hard bits and you are made of feelings and soft bits

Ja. That's sage advice as troubled as you say the mind is. The adrenaline of the close pass clouds the judgement I think. 

I'm not sure about that being rubbish though, might ask my legal mates. Made me hesitate in laying a charge though cos he would give the Muppet in question the same advice which would result in an imbroglio of note. Much as I would love to see him squirm on the sharp edge of the law I am not completely without stain in this situation and as it stands both Muppets walk away with minimal consequence.

On second thought .... it is getting late and the mind is wondering, so possibly way off .....

Speak to your legal buddies, or even directly to "RAF Buddies".  IF, those sambok lashes requires a medical checkup .... surely that can get the ambulance chasers up and running ....

QUESTION - Would such an approach cause any exposure and trouble for the driver ??  (which is realistically the only aim...)

"folding the mirror" surely was a trigger in this situation, one of many, but that does not constitute damage to property, so he cant claim against you.

Any lashes that requires medical attention, now that is assault ....

realistically though .... not as if our cops could be bothered with this.  Unless you have access to an energetic lawyer (for free), this aint going no where.

Close the book.

Learn the lesson...

Move on .....

9 hours ago, Mamil said:

Here's ubers response after Instagram was the only way to get in touch with them.

Screenshot_20231206_211332_Instagram.jpg.5fe7df3632c3d8403574e04cc597314a.jpg

Dooood Uber are soo bad when it comes to things like this.! 😡

I had an altercation with an Uber driver who’s driving was soo bad.. he missed an off ramp then drove off on the next one, missed another turn off from that off ramp, stopped the car, reversed while other cars had to dodge him, turned off and then stopped in some suburb and told me that was the destination, when I said it wasn’t he told me I must have made a mistake, I’m stupid and to get out.. I told him what I thought of him and got out.. 

no doubt one stars were given from us both.. 

I reported it but later received an email from Uber about the verbal altercation and the drivers safety being of utmost importance, my account will be suspended blah blah.. I responded with the events that lead up to the altercation and how it was actually my safety, their customers safety, that they should be concerned about.. they were having none of it and the response was generic and still all about their drivers safety.. 

I don’t use Uber anymore