Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

The comments on social media are sickening. I’d rather not read them. 

As a cyclist I'm also frustrated at times by things us cyclists do and I hope that comments are based on those things and not this particular incident.

Surely nobody is insinuating that this cyclist was at fault.? 

2 hours ago, Thomo said:

As a cyclist I'm also frustrated at times by things us cyclists do and I hope that comments are based on those things and not this particular incident.

Surely nobody is insinuating that this cyclist was at fault.? 

For my own sanity I only read a few comments. 
but it was the usual cyclists don’t belong on the road, to why was he so far away from the left and even one suggesting he did this deliberately to claim from RAF. 

Can only just shake your head. 

Take any 100 people and you're bound to find one degenerate in there.

Facebook is crawling with people so boring they comment on everything to get some attention in their pathetic lives. And unfortunately in south africa the ratio is way above 1/100

Just scroll past 

I think to remember that there's a thing called "moth effect" which describes that drunk drivers are drawn towards bright flashing lights.
I wonder if that played a part in that incident.

1 hour ago, BaGearA said:

Take any 100 people and you're bound to find one degenerate in there.

Facebook is crawling with people so boring they comment on everything to get some attention in their pathetic lives. And unfortunately in south africa the ratio is way above 1/100

Just scroll past 

IMG_0182.gif

On 12/21/2023 at 7:46 PM, Prince Albert Cycles said:

There is cctv video doing the rounds of a cyclist that was mowed down between Simons Town and Glencairn . Driver was caught in Simons Town where he passed out behind the wheel.

Am too old to know how to post the video here

Not sure why News24 feels the need to circulate a video of a cyclist getting hit by a car. 
hope the rider makes it

10 hours ago, Sampaj said:

Not sure why News24 feels the need to circulate a video of a cyclist getting hit by a car. 
hope the rider makes it

Platforms like News24 feed off shock value for clicks like any other. Typical social media BS, just hidden under the guise of news. They are the EFF of the media world anyway. 

Yes, I agree its a terrible video, i could hardly watch it with a straight face, nevermind twice, and it has me paranoid about road riding all over again….but maybe people seeing it puts the reality of it out there.

Society has become so desensitised to violence, SA probably more so than other places, that we tend to laugh stuff like this off. Maybe seeing it,  realising its real and a real person (your husband, son, father, brother) makes it hit home a bit harder. Thats all thats left really. 

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Maybe seeing it,  realising its real and a real person (your husband, son, father, brother) makes it hit home a bit harder.

Agreed. "Rammed down" was the first description circulated via Stay Wider of the Rider incident alerts, and neither that nor any description since hits home as hard as the video does.

How often would you say you have an experience of being close passed where you get a fright or feel endangered?

People don't give a damn about others. This is why I opt for cycling in the trails rather than tar. Even now I'm heading out to the west coast cycle path to Melkbosstrand. That's the only tar I'm willing to cycle and even that is risky. I got knocked down on that stretch before by a idiot exiting his estate and choosing not to stop at a big painted STOP.

4 hours ago, Mamil said:

How often would you say you have an experience of being close passed where you get a fright or feel endangered?

Had a baddish one on my last Ride....big truck passed me and with deep dish wheels it was a nervy second ...

4 hours ago, Mamil said:

This morning, MyCity came past me to the stop about 50m ahead of me. The bus was maybe less than 50cm from me as it passed while steering in to the stop. It also then didn't stop, it just kept going because there was no-one waiting at the stop. Again I was reminded why I dislike road riding so much.

This morning we went out for a ride up and over Du Toitskloof pass. On our way back coming down the pass (direction Paarl) a navy blue Hummer (GP registration plates) came flying past us and almost took us out - super super close call. (Around 09:50)

The guy then cut the next corner almost taking out 2 riders coming up the pass. 

He then pulled off on the right side of the road and picked up a rock and as we came down he started running across the road to be in our lane. 

Luckily we had some time and made a u-turn to avoid any confrontation. Luckily he then left - went down a road where he pulled off. Picture uploaded where he went in. 

Screenshot_20231224_121810_Maps.jpg