Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks as if that taxi had an altercation with something bigger and uglier before it met with the poor little grey car

@Dale just reading this now. Sorry this has happened and hoping your recovery is as smooth as possible. 

Just seen a video, Cyclist knocked down on Vanguard Drive, Taxi on it's side on the island, another car which looks to be almost in half also on the other side of the island. Happened in peak hour, 1 of the vehicles involved must've been going REALLY fast for that kind of impact to cause so much damage to both vehicles, and driving pretty recklessly considering it was in peak hour. I'm not a betting man but if I was, My money is on the taxi being guilty.

Also hope the cyclist is ok, Seemed to be laying on his back, backpack under his head, assuming to keep him comfortable, but wasn't moving in the video(Not assuming anything bad, he just didn't move in the video), another cyclist was also on scene helping out. passengers still stuck in the taxi aswell.

Not a nice start to a Monday morning, or any morning for that matter.

Edited by FootballingCyclist
spelling

1 hour ago, Zebra said:

this - in the last few days, shows the 'Taxi Rush' i mentioned in an earlier post...

Taxi overtaking and accident.jpg

Seen this numerous times riding up Llandudno, Taxi's overtaking cars on the descent toward Town on the solid double lines, even as close as Bakoven on the blind corner just before the Bootlegger, Heard screeching tyres once from someone slamming on the brakes and 10 seconds later a taxi passed us.

On 3/3/2024 at 8:25 AM, 'Dale said:

Me.

I was warming up to meet my training group this morning and was inside the yellow shoulder on the way to Cape Town stadium. Then the TV channel switched and I was flung somewhere and, getting up, I couldn’t see the car. The rear view mirror and fender guard left behind on the scene was off a Renault Kwid, not many of them around.

I am privileged to have an excellent health care network around me and hope to fully recover - very eina right leg, fractured ribs and scrapes and bruises, fortunately my spine and brain intact.

I am a lucky man. Please send healing vibes, Peoples.💛

IMG_5955.jpeg

just use some duct tape and she will be good to go, if that doesn't work, you're not using enough duct tape LOL

Jokes aside, Heal up champ and strongs with the physical rehab, Mentally I don't think there are many who are as strong as you, especially in the sporting world with it being your profession and with your success you have achieved in that department, So mentally I believe you will beat this, So heal up physically champ and pretty sure we will be seeing those sick sunrise pics again very soon. All the best.

21 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Just seen a video, Cyclist knocked down on Vanguard Drive, Taxi on it's side on the island, another car which looks to be almost in half also on the other side of the island. Happened in peak hour, 1 of the vehicles involved must've been going REALLY fast for that kind of impact to cause so much damage to both vehicles, and driving pretty recklessly considering it was in peak hour. I'm not a betting man but if I was, My money is on the taxi being guilty.

Also hope the cyclist is ok, Seemed to be laying on his back, backpack under his head, assuming to keep him comfortable, but wasn't moving in the video(Not assuming anything bad, he just didn't move in the video), another cyclist was also on scene helping out. passengers still stuck in the taxi aswell.

saw it as well, does not look good.

14 hours ago, duringd said:

Hi there, 

I've lived in Paarl for a good 15 years and I am a cyclist. You also being part of this town will know there are sections with no shoulders, no yellow lines, real narrow sections, especially driving out south. Bikes being ridden 2 and 3 abreast at 11h30 in the morning just ain't really cool. That was what I was trying to get across.

The value of the bikes make no difference in the issue being right or wrong. I referred to the bikes and tried to point out by "valueing" them that these chaps are seasoned riders, know the rules and know the issues we as cyclists have to deal with. Not the chap who has just pulled his 20 year old Raleigh for the next week's casual ride. 

I mean no disrespect to the said riders, I merely ask, knowing the risks involved and the animosity caused, why seasoned guys must still do it, block the road for their benefit.

I am sorry if I have offended anyone here, never the idea.

Cheers

I hear you but why not be the change and demonstrate patience and good driving etiquette, thus potentially influencing other drivers positively. 
You were doing so well till you brought up rights. I have strong views on this. The passing vehicle has duty of care. Demonstrate it and the world will change

34 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

must have been the cyclists fault. He probably was not wearing a hi viz jacket, was not riding in the dirt on the side of the road and his bike did not have a number plate.

3 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I dunno, neither you nor I were there so let's not be the judge.

What we do have is a cyclist driving in his car getting irritated by cyclists' behaviour. I see enough people cycling badly that I won't defend all cyclists "just because". I know it's peak argus week, but in my recent anecdotal experience I can count a how bunch of random conversations where people have moaned about cyclists "owning the roads".

I totally get the point of @duringd's post, I don't think you do.

Was out on a windy but low traffic Sunday yesterday. Mostly pretty good behaviour but there is always that one guy @Hairy. Encountered him on Chappies ascent from  NH.  He was at the front of a small group I caught on the climb. The guys behind him and his buddy were unrelated I think, and in single file. He insisted on riding two abreast despite the fact that car traffic was patiently backing up behind us. I let him know but he either didn't hear me or chose to ignore it. Eventually i held back and waved the cars past and he was then obliged to line up on the left. 

Later on the way down to HB there he was again, dawdling along two abreast on the descent, forcing me to overtake close to the center line.

Third strike - same guy at the top of Suikerbossie - pulled over chatting but he and his bike taking up most often the yellow lane people were riding in. 

Not a youngster either, Just a fast asleep oblivious danger to those around him. 

21 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

must have been the cyclists fault. He probably was not wearing a hi viz jacket, was not riding in the dirt on the side of the road and his bike did not have a number plate.

I know this is sarcasm and a did giggle and appreciate this as I was going to add at the bottom "Probably the cyclists fault", The irony is though that he is wearing the lumo yellow PPA top in the video.

23 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Was out on a windy but low traffic Sunday yesterday. Mostly pretty good behaviour but there is always that one guy @Hairy. Encountered him on Chappies ascent from  NH.  He was at the front of a small group I caught on the climb. The guys behind him and his buddy were unrelated I think, and in single file. He insisted on riding two abreast despite the fact that car traffic was patiently backing up behind us. I let him know but he either didn't hear me or chose to ignore it. Eventually i held back and waved the cars past and he was then obliged to line up on the left. 

Later on the way down to HB there he was again, dawdling along two abreast on the descent, forcing me to overtake close to the center line.

Third strike - same guy at the top of Suikerbossie - pulled over chatting but he and his bike taking up most often the yellow lane people were riding in. 

Not a youngster either, Just a fast asleep oblivious danger to those around him. 

Once when going up Suikerbossie, found a guy standing broadside IN THE DRIVING LANE at the top where cyclist normally stop to catch their breath, or wait for their slower riding partners. When I politely asked him to move into the yellow lane, where it is safer, I got sworn at and told to f-off and mind my own business. I just smiled at him and said sure, obviously your wish is to become roadkill. He then flew into a rage, but I just cycled on. Worse of all, he was no youngster, he'd done a few decades of living already.

Now just imagine what would have happened if a motorist / motor biker came flying over that fairly blind curve and took him out, who would have been blamed?

So yes, there is some Darwin Award candidates out there that stuffs it up for the majority of law-abiding cyclists with a sense of responsibility and self-preservation. 

Edited by Wannabe
Spelling

2 hours ago, splat said:

It looks as if that taxi had an altercation with something bigger and uglier before it met with the poor little grey car

Yes, yo can see THIS picture, in the background; the silver vehicle was the SECOND vehicle the taxi struck...

24th Feb Coastal Road near Llundudno.jpg