Riding facing traffic - a valid question

lechatnoir

Universally ? Never heard of that in France and never really noticed runners going against traffic anywhere else than in SA but I might be wrong, I wasn't cycling or running much before I moved here...

But if it's the law, that explains why !

In SA you ride with the traffic flow, and run against it.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost all runners I meet gives me space and goes far outside, sometimes running on the ground. Have never had any issues with runners.

Agreed, except for chappies/suikerbossie where some of the turns offer no visibility and it can be quite dangerous, cohabitation is usually better than with some other cyclists  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Universally ? Never heard of that in France and never really noticed runners going against traffic anywhere else than in SA but I might be wrong, I wasn't cycling or running much before I moved here...

But if it's the law, that explains why !

UK

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/rules-pedestrians-1-35

Germany

https://www.germanroadsafety.de/compact-guide/en/k2.html#:~:text=In%20the%20direction%20of%20travel,cars%2C%20motorcycles%20and%20bicycles%20better.

I am too lazy to find more examples

Probably because the lane is faster moving?

Another thing motorists never see on Chappies is the 40km/h speed limit signs. Even more invisible than a cyclist. (Besides a cyclist skipping a red light, those are the most visible.

Well, if they don't see the 40kmh ones, they seriously won't see the 20kmh ones...

I recently moved to the west coast, and have noticed that other riders (casual commuters and serious trainers) out on the roads riding facing oncoming traffic

My intuition tells me riding facing traffic is wrong. It feels really really wrong and unsafe. Yes, facing traffic will give me that split second to take the lest-worst option and ride into a culvert to avoid an oncoming car, but that rule was made for pedestrians, which I'm not.

So serious question needing genuine help - if my safety depends on doing something other than what I'm currently doing, then I need some direction.

Had an unpleasant experience a few weeks back.

I am in the yellow zone, riding away from the trails.  And then I see another cyclist coming way ... IN "my lane" ....  Now he had a few options :

- stop and let me pass safely

- get onto the pavement

- get into the road and take his chances with oncoming cars ....

Nope, he keeps going, and swears at me for not making way ....

As much as I appreciate the concept of riding against the traffic, when you do so please make way for those with right of way 

Was just thinking a few days back how it has been ages since we had a cycling against the direction of traffic debate.

Back in the day it used to be hot topic here on hubland...

Existential question:

Do I still apply the "into oncoming traffic" when I run with my Vantly Running Pram, which is wide enough to seat two kids below 5 years old...?

I almost see myself as a vehicle, being that wide, thus thinking that I need start to behave like a bicycle?

Only running in neighbourhoods, so not serious amounts of traffic. But feels weird being that wide and running into traffic without the option of bailing out over the curb onto the grass like I would if I was running alone.

Existential question:

Do I still apply the "into oncoming traffic" when I run with my Vantly Running Pram, which is wide enough to seat two kids below 5 years old...?

I almost see myself as a vehicle, being that wide, thus thinking that I need start to behave like a bicycle?

Only running in neighbourhoods, so not serious amounts of traffic. But feels weird being that wide and running into traffic without the option of bailing out over the curb onto the grass like I would if I was running alone.

When running with children you apply the "mom rule" which means that NO MATTER WHAT you have the moral high ground and right of way. The situation matters not.

In SA you ride with the traffic flow, and run against it.

Okay but why? Is there any logic to it?

I was taught cars can kill you so stay the hell out of their way and look properly when entering or crossing none of this the right side is the side side when bla bla bla bla

I was taught cars can kill you so stay the hell out of their way and look properly when entering or crossing none of this the right side is the side side when bla bla bla bla

its so you can look into the eyes of the idiot behind the wheel before he hits you

I would say because bicycles want to be treated like serious road users, so they must follow the same rules as cars and act as one. 

It makes them more predictable in their actions. 

Semi-comic-sans begins: Because if bicycles don't have to follow a set set of rules, then these broken-ass delivery scooters (which are sometimes slower than runners even) can also ride where they like. Then normal scooters will do the same. Then motorbikes will feel hard done by. Small cars, big cars, busses... Then we're all dead.

have you ever tried riding against the traffic ?

There is a small section of road near my place, sometimes its safer to head against the traffic instead of crossing 4 busy lanes twice to get home. I've done it a handful of times but its scary AF seeing a car heading for you. 

Next time I'm in London I'm going to hug the left hand side of the escalators at rush hour and see how that goes down.

Ha ha, I did that by accident   as was very deep  in thought going down to a  tube station.  Lasted about 5 seconds before I was 'told'.

Edited by Red Robin