947 Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

18 minutes ago, Avo said:

Thanks for the info. Helps a lot. I hope those that have been seeded into these racing categories through no choice of their own know they cant join racing groups behind.

You can start in the alphabet groups, do drop to them.  No fun if you're in V* and don't want to be there/can't hang with them.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, wattnow said:

Agreed, they should have more information regarding the racing groups in the race pack and or in their endless emails. They should not simply add non racing riders into the racing groups (Only holders of CSA racing licenses should be allowed in racing groups). It becomes dangerous for everyone in that bunch.

Clause 3 of the rules https://ridejoburg.co.za/rules-and-regulations/

Agree it is dangerous to promote non racing riders into the Vets.

5 hours ago, Avo said:

Howzit Hubbers

Some advice please.

In the last 94.7 in 2019 I was seeded A in the Open seeded. Decided to start in A but was dropped on the first climb - pace was intense. I then waited for B and rode with B to the end.

This year I have been seeded VA ???? I don't recall entering the racing class? Do you need a racing CSA license? A few years ago I by mistake entered the VA racing class for an Amashova event (I didnt select Open seeded). On the day I started with VA and also got dropped early on. I just thought I would wait for the next batch VB/VC to catch me. I tried to join the next batch but then the race commissaire vehicle following the batch said I could not ride with the later racing batches. It ended up being a long day out for me on my own.

I wonder if the same will apply to 94.7 if starting in VA batch and not being able to join other batches starting behind after being dropped?

Thinking of rather dropping back and starting with B.

Thanks.

No, you don’t need a racing licence for the 947. I’ve been seeded in VB, VC and VD for almost every event since the late-2000s, and haven’t had a racing licence at least half that time.

But it depends on the officials on the day.

32 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Rode at Suikerbosrand this morning, seriously questioning whether entering 947 was a good idea after the ride ????????

Considering it's the same elevation in half the distance, you shouldn't feel too bad 

10 hours ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Rode at Suikerbosrand this morning, seriously questioning whether entering 947 was a good idea after the ride ????????

Going there for some prep tomorrow and then next week Tshwane..

Well I am disappointed on two counts.
1. I just can't travel to SA at this point in time so will have to miss the race this year.
2. I got a start time of 8:50am. I don't think I ever started this late, even at my first race. But since I will not be participating, I don't know if it is worth fighting for it. I wrote them a mail, but if I get the same seeding next year, I think I'd rather save my money. I might give in of course as I might get a huge dose of FOMO otherwise....

On 10/29/2021 at 12:42 PM, shaper said:

Clause 3 of the rules https://ridejoburg.co.za/rules-and-regulations/

Agree it is dangerous to promote non racing riders into the Vets.

I am one of those. Non-licensed riders in the VA bunch. I know my limits, I will not fool myself into thinking I stand any chance. I will start from the back of the group try and keep up with the the rear. I have a time I want to do in mind, and that's the goal. No silly hijinks for no gain. 

On 10/29/2021 at 12:37 PM, Roul said:

You can start in the alphabet groups, do drop to them.  No fun if you're in V* and don't want to be there/can't hang with them.

Don't be fooled. In my experience, A is pretty savage. 

2 hours ago, Gr3mlin131 said:

Anyone have any info on the MTB number collection or seeding? The race is in two weeks and I have not heard a peep from them, 

yep

no details as yet

13 hours ago, Gr3mlin131 said:

Anyone have any info on the MTB number collection or seeding? The race is in two weeks and I have not heard a peep from them, 

I used the whatsapp nr and asked about seeding & times. Response was that info will be mailed week before the race

Good morning All, anyone starting L and wanting to start a group to help each other,  otherwise its going to be a 97km TT all the way, Please PM me.