Tokyo Olympics 2020 - Cycling

Shebeen

12 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

@Jewbacca

This is interesting. Coincidently we did similar back in our teens to bmx's.

Olympic BMX prototype 2-speed derailleur gears Meybo bike, BMX World Champion Twan van Gendt, drivetrain detail

https://bikerumor.com/2021/07/22/olympic-bmx-hopeful-twan-van-gendts-bike-adds-derailleur-to-shift-gears-to-gold/

I'd easily be able to go under 4 hours at CTCT with that!

I was always partial to the Single Speed, but now I think gears are the answer to life

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I was always partial to the Single Speed, but now I think gears are the answer to life

Not always, but some gearing is handy

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Yes but will the wind blow? Will it rain? Will it be cancelled?

4 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

What I'm saying is that the WT riders all ride Sworks frames and not Specialized frames (there is a slight difference in the 2 with weight as the seatpost and fork on the Sworks model is lighter) so it was surprising to see the riders on Specialized frames and not Sworks frames.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/shop/speed-of-light-collection/c/speedoflightcollection

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tokyo-olympics-heat-chamber-helps-tom-pidcock-to-best-possible-shape/

The interesting bit about this is his quote that he didn't realise how much energy it took for his bones to heal properly. Well hit me a barn door any doctor worth their salt could have told him that.

and then this:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simon-geschke-out-of-tokyo-olympics-after-positive-covid-19-test/

Just heard that Cycling SA was again able to stuff up whatever they are suppose to organize.

Our Olympic cycling team only received their cycling kit today. During practice over the past few days they all had to ride in their pro team kit, some even had to borrow kit from other competitors. When the kit arrived today there was apparantly major sizing issues as well as not enough kit for our riders. When will these guys stop embarrasing our national team.

I see on Richard Murrays video on his Insta page he said "I finally received my kit", Had to have a proper laugh at that.

Regarding the sizing issues, 1 can see that the sizes of the guys kits are definitely not what they're used to, I've never seen Nic or Ryan with such loose tops around the shoulder area.

15 minutes ago, Block said:

Just heard that Cycling SA was again able to stuff up whatever they are suppose to organize.

Our Olympic cycling team only received their cycling kit today. During practice over the past few days they all had to ride in their pro team kit, some even had to borrow kit from other competitors. When the kit arrived today there was apparantly major sizing issues as well as not enough kit for our riders. When will these guys stop embarrasing our national team.

Well look it could have been far far worse.

they could have arrived and discovered that they're not registered for the Olympic Events they're supposed to participate in  - Polish Swimming

they could have discovered that their federation should not have even brought them to the games as they didn't meet the qualification criteria - Mexico Cycling

They could have been forced to do the walk of shame in European tourists pyjamas in front of billions and billions of tv onlookers

The cycling kit at the very least looks very good. So raise our glasses and applaud small mercies as we are not rock bottom and have not started digging

I don't have the details of what could have /might/have gone wrong or whether theres a storm in a tea cup but I'm betting that many federations had kit made through a few well established suppliers (Belgian, Dutch, and other European federations also use Bioracer) so there could very well have been supply constraints with many riders receiving very later call up. Lets not get the tar bucket out yet

PS: The kit is made by Bioracer which is a size bigger than the Assos kit Nic usually wears. I can't remember who makes Astana's kit but I suspect it Bioracer so they would have his measurements on record. 

Edited by DieselnDust

Also perhaps why today was the first time that any pics were posted by any of the cyclists on their Insta pages(besides Ashleigh who had her kit from Tactic in Girona) when they've been there for a few days already.

12 minutes ago, Block said:

16 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

PS: The kit is made by Bioracer which is a size bigger than the Assos kit Nic usually wears. I can't remember who makes Astana's kit but I suspect it Bioracer so they would have his measurements on record. 

Yes I'm aware the kit is made by Bioracer, they've made the SA kit for a while, they made the kit for Worlds aswell which is why it's weird that the sizing is out because Nic went to worlds and had a speedsuit made by Bioracer(I have it at home) and Bioracer also made the kit for Di Data when Oakley was the kit sponsor. 

Giordanna is the kit sponsor of Astana and their sizing differs to Bioracer I agree, But Stefans kit fits well from the looks of it.

But we must agree, it all could've been alot worse for the riders amd other athletes aswell.

10 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Yes I'm aware the kit is made by Bioracer, they've made the SA kit for a while, they made the kit for Worlds aswell which is why it's weird that the sizing is out because Nic went to worlds and had a speedsuit made by Bioracer(I have it at home) and Bioracer also made the kit for Di Data when Oakley was the kit sponsor. 

Giordanna is the kit sponsor of Astana and their sizing differs to Bioracer I agree, But Stefans kit fits well from the looks of it.

But we must agree, it all could've been alot worse for the riders amd other athletes aswell.

Just what kind of a sicko are you keeping other guys skins suits in your private collection ......... bloody footballers are really dodgy!

27 minutes ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

Just what kind of a sicko are you keeping other guys skins suits in your private collection ......... bloody footballers are really dodgy!

You okes are so alike. You sniff saddles and he sniffs chamois????

And road race is under way, commentator referred to rider in the shot (Nic) as Stefan de Bod from SA - no effort at all. Good luck boys!!

1 hour ago, Charles71 said:

And road race is under way, commentator referred to rider in the shot (Nic) as Stefan de Bod from SA - no effort at all. Good luck boys!!

Never is any effort from Olympic commentary. Like when Chad le Clos beat Michael Phelps. They focused more on second place than the actual winner. 

20 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

I know I'm going to get slated for this but I reckon Surfing at the Olympics should be a wavepool event. Those pools are popping up everywhere and making it a pool event means taking it inland.

The Olympics isn't exactly in the "spirit" of surfing anyway so may as well go full hog and have it in a pool. You could even have a best of 3 format. Day 1 tubes. Day 2 Shredding (no airs) Day 3 Airshow.

While I think that wave pool surfing has become predictable I’d have to agree with you - surfing relies too much on external factors like luck and it’s seldom an even playing field, especially in Japan.  Not very Olympic in spirit 

whilst Japan has had waves pools longer than most, none are world class to my knowledge