Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

21 minutes ago, tcr-rider said:

This is my first CTCC and starting in 2C. What is the congestion likely to be here, especially on the hills? I've seen a lot of talk of people weaving and stopping on the hills in the later groups. I would assume this isn't the case in the 1's and 2's, but am I correct?

This should still be OK. It will slow down and you wont really be able to go around all the riders easily. Try stick to the right and you should find a gap here and there if people are being considerate. Generally by here the groups are less pronounced and there's more of a constant stream of riders.

By offering this advise I, in no way, shape or form, admit to having started in group 2C or below. This includes the "Open" groups from long long ago.

Enjoy the ride!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I went out for an interval session 3hrs after my jab. Set a new higher FTP…

My friend carried on with her triathlon training, even did the Baviaans the week after her second jab.  NO flutter on her Strava data.

Me ..... Even a mild walk around the block 4 days after the jab had my heart rate 20 30 bpm higher than normal for walking.  10 days later no issues.

Many Dr's advise to monitor heart rate for 10 days after a jab.  A very small percentage of people develop some degree of miocarditus, but still worth monitoring.

Frankly, anybody that wants to fly down and ride the CTCT .... just have the jab the week after.  Just not worth the risk, however small the percentages.

Then again, I know a bit more about engineering than biology .... :whistling:

54 minutes ago, tcr-rider said:

This is my first CTCC and starting in 2C. What is the congestion likely to be here, especially on the hills? I've seen a lot of talk of people weaving and stopping on the hills in the later groups. I would assume this isn't the case in the 1's and 2's, but am I correct?

Congestion hasn’t started by then yet, you should be fine. 

11 hours ago, mrdaynes said:

Howsit! Anyone in group 1C going for a sub 3hrs? 

Negative boss, just gonna try and hang on for as long as I can and do my best. Gonna be a slow one for me unfortunately as the 'vid has sidelined me for the past few weeks.

14 hours ago, ChrisF said:

My friend carried on with her triathlon training, even did the Baviaans the week after her second jab.  NO flutter on her Strava data.

Me ..... Even a mild walk around the block 4 days after the jab had my heart rate 20 30 bpm higher than normal for walking.  10 days later no issues.

Many Dr's advise to monitor heart rate for 10 days after a jab.  A very small percentage of people develop some degree of miocarditus, but still worth monitoring.

Frankly, anybody that wants to fly down and ride the CTCT .... just have the jab the week after.  Just not worth the risk, however small the percentages.

Then again, I know a bit more about engineering than biology .... :whistling:

This just highlights how different the responses are to the jabs. Its of little value to ask questions about personal response on a open forum. Better to have these discussions with a GP

13 hours ago, mrdaynes said:

Howsit! Anyone in group 1C going for a sub 3hrs? 

I am in 1C. I will see how it goes although if I had to guesstimate my current fitness levels, I don’t think I’ve done enough training for a sub 3.

Im in 1B and don't reckon Im up to a sub 3. Are the seedings different this year due to the decreased numbers? (I never did the ride last year.) Better for me to possibly start 1C maybe?

18 minutes ago, TheAntoine1 said:

Im in 1B and don't reckon Im up to a sub 3. Are the seedings different this year due to the decreased numbers? (I never did the ride last year.) Better for me to possibly start 1C maybe?

The sharp end of the field is definitely smaller while the mid field has definitely gained around the midsection while the backend of the field have bought e-bikes

34 minutes ago, TheAntoine1 said:

I would t say so.... But only because I'm also in 1b and if you are doing sub 3 I'm hitching a ride on your coat tails.... Weather permitting.

3 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

But we should all be like Brian. I would have cried into my beer and sold my bike - he on the other hand bought another entry, smashed his way up to & group and is taking no prisoners this year (that's how I'm seeing it anyway). In the event that 1A happens to catch & group, Brian has my wheel*.

*Unless he's miles off sub 3 pace and I'm in with a chance.

14 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Second laps are a go go go go..

Just received the mail (Not that I will make it back in time to start a 2nd lap though)

Just got mine. Wont make it back to the start by 9:45 so it's a no for me.