Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

the only way to truly know what the weather will be like is to ride the route on the day. Even then, comparing to someone who rode earlier or later will reveal they had a different weather experience

It's on the coast where two oceans meet (work with me here) and this will lead to really unpredictable weather conditions.

the only thing I can say for certain is that it's better to rider earlier than later - congestion, heat and wind always increase as time marches on during the race

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You giving me goosebumps with all this talk about the weather.   Any day we can ride our bikes should be a great day.

Lining up for my "mid life crisis" tour, 41st.😎

The weather can do what it wants, as long as the tour goes ahead.

I haven't been this far up front in 1A since ..... the canon blasted off at the old castle in 1980.

56 minutes ago, MORNE said:

where do the ebikes start? the most useless of her fiends starts in 8B..so ill be in that group.

No ebike may start higher than 2C. I have no idea what that means in terms of starting times

Me, myself, and I will be starting at the BACK .... 9D, at 9:45 ...... same time as the last of the second lappers ....  Maybe I should just start 1 minute later ....

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

No ebike may start higher than 2C. I have no idea what that means in terms of starting times

Me, myself, and I will be starting at the BACK .... 9D, at 9:45 ...... same time as the last of the second lappers ....  Maybe I should just start 1 minute later ....

Feel for the ones starting at this time. You’ll get the hottest weather and definitely the windiest. But I suppose if you done seeding races then you’ve earnt that earlier start.

2 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Feel for the ones starting at this time. You’ll get the hottest weather and definitely the windiest. But I suppose if you done seeding races then you’ve earnt that earlier start.

i thought we covered this already? it wont be hot..it will be wet and cold, and failing that...it will be cloudy and windy 😜

The vibe is the best right at the back though. So even though i looks like i'm complaining about having to give up my early starting time for a 9:30 one...i know its going to be a jol anyway with all the clowns back there. 

And we get to draft some ebikes down the m3 because they arent that fast on the flats anyway haha.

3 hours ago, Owen said:

Just checking which Hubber's are in this group. I also don't understand their logic with regards to the combination of the age group splits.

are you in the 30-39 split or the 50-59...?

#askingforeverybodyelse

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

The only constant on long term weather forecasts in the Cape is the rate at which it changes ... its a Cape Town thing ...

3 days ago it was to rain on Saturday, and a bit into Sunday ... it has steadily moved "back" ...  Now it is raining on Sunday late morning ....

At this rate we may just miss it ..... :P

The weather operates on Cape Town timing

rain is coming at 8:00 for 12:30

They say that if you wait for the weather in Cape Town to decide what to do you're going to do nothing for that day. We live in an extremely outdoors oriented city and the weather should not factor in , unless the CTCT rolls around and the wind starts blowing pelotons backwards from the start line. That's the cue to go find a good coffee spot and wait out the storm.

6 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

They say that if you wait for the weather in Cape Town to decide what to do you're going to do nothing for that day. We live in an extremely outdoors oriented city and the weather should not factor in , unless the CTCT rolls around and the wind starts blowing pelotons backwards from the start line. That's the cue to go find a good coffee spot and wait out the storm.

I like your thinking

11 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

much easier to make that decision if you live down there, but if you've treked 1500km to get there then there is only 2 choices, ride hard or ride easy

Edited by ouzo

23 minutes ago, ouzo said:

much easier to make that decision if you live down there, but if you've treked 1500km to get there then there is only 2 choices, ride hard or ride easy

And easy isn't so easy, is it?!

😠 F**king BA just cancelled my flight down tomorrow morning... Hope there are seats available on later flights 🤞

If it wasn't for the Vitality discounts I would never fly with any of the Kulula-associated clowns. Always running late at best.

Edited by Jehosefat

1 minute ago, Jehosefat said:

😠 F**king BA just cancelled my flight down tomorrow morning... Hope there are seats available on later flights 🤞

If it wasn't for the Vitality discounts I would never fly with any of the Kulula-associated clowns. Always running late at best.

whats the reason for the cancelation ?

Just now, ouzo said:

whats the reason for the cancelation ?

None given. Just "We're so sorry that your flight has been cancelled."

Thankfully we managed to book on a later flight.

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

I love riding pre.sunrise ....

But for this ride I am happy to start at the back ... pass the slower riders when it is safe, and only the "late starters" for the second lap should be catching me ....

For a first timer to the world champs of road races I would hate to start in the middel ...  the thought of fast groups from the back while trying to pass slow riders is downright scary ... 

Either way .... I am hoping for a FUN RIDE 👍👍  Coffee stops, chats, just a lekka (long) day out on the bike 😁

For the racers .... wishing you a good and safe race, whatever your personal goals 👍

31 minutes ago, Jehosefat said:

Never have I arrived late on a Kulula-associated clowns flight.