Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

1 minute ago, Mamil said:

At 8 it's probably still a bunch and arguably more dangerous than the earlier groups cos riders less experienced maybe??

If I drop down I'm gonna start at 9 or 9.30 and ride with the back markers and see if I can make some friends 

Hmmm good point. I didn't consider how far back 8am would b - group 5A, after the unicycles and hand-cycles. Maybe then a good start time would be 7:25, 3C. If seeding's anything to go by, I should be able to push with the leaders of the group or make a breakaway group with the stronger riders of that group. I'm thinking, if others consider this option, there would be a few of stronger riders in the 3C group that will be able to set a decent pace and be in the weather "gap". 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, Cutney said:

Anyone looked into this much or am I over thinking it?

Yes on the second count, weather predictions will still change to Sunday, will change on the day and will differ all over the peninsula during the day. No point descending into weather analysis paralysis, just take your rain jacket, put on your big girl panties and go ride your bike.

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

People were panic buying wet wether road tires earlier today when I went to go get wetlube lol

You had me calling Mark to check if my current chain lube is okay .... :P

8 minutes ago, tcr-rider said:

As a cyclist here from the UK, reading frantic discussions about the perils of riding in the rain and emergency last-minute gear changes are classic 😂

Thanks.

Had a good laugh at this.

We are SPOILT with good riding weather in the Cape.

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

Yes on the second count, weather predictions will still change to Sunday, will change on the day and will differ all over the peninsula during the day. No point descending into weather analysis paralysis, just take your rain jacket, put on your big girl panties and go ride your bike.

I don't wanna get my big girl panties wet

22 minutes ago, tcr-rider said:

As a cyclist here from the UK, reading frantic discussions about the perils of riding in the rain and emergency last-minute gear changes are classic 😂

Ever rolled in the wet as part of the largest timed cycling event in the world, albeit with restricted entries, Cupcakes? 

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

Ever rolled in the wet as part of the largest timed cycling event in the world, albeit with restricted entries, Cupcakes? 

Soggy cupcakes are the worst

The ONLY accurate weather report for the CTCT is the one you get when you walk into your starting chute........and the half hourly updates as you turn the major corners of the route. No use stressing about weather. It will be what it will be.

6 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

For the lols?

What kit will you be wearing, I'd like to steer well clear!

Starting in 1C. Probably wearing my orange DIscovery kit. Good luck picking me out amongst the other 100’s wearing that kit😄

On a more serious note though, if it’s raining and i have no brakes I’ll just take it easy and forget about PB. 

9 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

..............Good luck picking me out amongst the other 100’s wearing that kit😄. ...............

I know you have done many and don't need the advice, but for first timers Ill give it anyway:

If you have family or friends waiting somewhere along the route to cheer you on, it is near impossible for them to spot you, even if you are dressed up as a bright purple dinosaur. The stream of ever flowing colour just screw up your eyes and after a few thousand riders swarming past, the brain goes into overload and see nothing further. 

So, the solution is to pick a spot and know exactly where your supporters are waiting. YOU then pull over to the side (left is best), slow down (yes, it is possible) and say hi as you go past. That is just about the only reliable way you will see each other. If you are like me, you may even stop, get a hug from someone special and NEVER regret the 10 seconds you lost!

Have fun tomorrow Hubsters and stay safe!

54 minutes ago, DJR said:

I know you have done many and don't need the advice, but for first timers Ill give it anyway:

If you have family or friends waiting somewhere along the route to cheer you on, it is near impossible for them to spot you, even if you are dressed up as a bright purple dinosaur. The stream of ever flowing colour just screw up your eyes and after a few thousand riders swarming past, the brain goes into overload and see nothing further. 

So, the solution is to pick a spot and know exactly where your supporters are waiting. YOU then pull over to the side (left is best), slow down (yes, it is possible) and say hi as you go past. That is just about the only reliable way you will see each other. If you are like me, you may even stop, get a hug from someone special and NEVER regret the 10 seconds you lost!

Have fun tomorrow Hubsters and stay safe!

This reminded me of 2019 K2C. There was n lady in the group we started in the rode in a full cow suit/costume haha. She was like a beacon throughout the ride. The extreme weather ofcourse meant that costume was drenched and probably weighed 10kg’s lol. #Respect