Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

1 hour ago, Eldron said:

Oh sweet jesus. Did the winky face not give it away?

Or the fact that it does 80kph?

Of the fact that Chris and I were having a laugh about lugging a heavy e-commuter around the CTCT course?

Or the fact that it does not, in fact, have any pedals?

So how many years before bikes without pedals are allowed ???

I wager just a few years.

😜

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, NickGM said:

I've done lots of other 100km events at around the 36kph mark so a sub-3 CTCT has always been a target. But geez it seems like fate has other ideas! I can now add "solid rain for 90% of the route" to the list of things that happen when I decide to train for this event. Before sunday it consisted of fire (2016?), protest action (2017?) and severe winds (2019). To rub salt in the wounds I'd also entered the 2018 CTCT but at the 11th hour a friend organized an overseas trip with free accommodation which I couldn't turn down. Cue up the perfect weather. I skipped 2020 and it goes without saying that I rode last year's perfect weather from 4E with my partner riding her first CTCT. 

Anyway, I had a flipping brilliant time despite all the rain, and I'll keep coming back. And if any of you are squash fans, I plan on taking up the Ross Norman approach; a kiwi who vowed that he'd keep playing the unbeatable Jahangir Khan because "one day he will be be slightly off his game and I will get him". Norman eventually beat Khan in the 1986 world open finals, ending his run of 555 games unbeaten (a world record in any sport). Hopefully it doesn't take me that long but I'll keep showing up!

Yes - Sub-3s can be a cruel target to chase for us weekend warriors! Between weather, disruptions & mechanicals it sometimes feel impossible, but then on the day fate play along its almost too easy....

We had great weather in 2020 and 2021 so I guess we were due a tough ride in 2022 🤷‍♀️

20 hours ago, mikkelz said:

I have the dreaded stomach bug today. 😱 Must be something I sucked up off the road. 🤮

I think I am over the worst. 😅 Was worried it might be THE rona. 🙈

Switched on race mode as I passed Simonstown Golf Course to HoutBay CBD with a small segment of 1A who were very well organised and calm.

Cruising to the top of Suikerbossie, I parked to have a banana or two, waiting for some braaaasss of mine to rejoin. The aunty with the flask on the camping chair under the shelter of the bus stop slowly gets up and approaches me and asks with all kinds of loving care, and asks "Do you want some of my brandy to warm you up?".

I must’ve looked like a very nat and cold hoenner. I love the spirit of the peoples in South Africa, no place like it. 😍

91CF5FED-61E1-4A9E-A23A-1F9294C39EC1.jpeg

Edited by 'Dale

20 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Yes - Sub-3s can be a cruel target to chase for us weekend warriors! Between weather, disruptions & mechanicals it sometimes feel impossible, but then on the day fate play along its almost too easy....

We had great weather in 2020 and 2021 so I guess we were due a tough ride in 2022 🤷‍♀️

I might keep repeating this to myself. I've got a few friends who are a solid level above me and routinely crank out 40kph in $/&/@ groups. Joining those ranks could put things beyond doubt even on a bad weather day but I think I'm a little short on time and talent for that. I'm definitely weekend warrior category, but I'm happy to be on the fringe and just wait for a good weather day! Makes it exciting.

22 hours ago, mikkelz said:

I have the dreaded stomach bug today. 😱 Must be something I sucked up off the road. 🤮

not surprised - im waiting for it myself, given how much spray I ingested off the wheels in front of me

1 hour ago, mikkelz said:

Looking at my results on RaceTec, I just realised I am now in the 40 to 44 age group! 👴

Eish, old timer! 😂

Spring chicken... Junior mamil

Edited by Mamil

2 minutes ago, MORNE said:

to paraphrase @DieselnDust, you probably caught a OMO bubble in the mouth....

🤢

Also saw a few foamies on Sunday, I thought it was from an over application of chamois cream building up over the life of the bibs?

5 minutes ago, Jono said:

Also saw a few foamies on Sunday, I thought it was from an over application of chamois cream building up over the life of the bibs?

Does it really matter what substance was applied in excess in the general chommie area? haha

some people also need to check how old their bibs are. some of them were borderline pantyhose. Some views more pleasant than others of course....but still. 

Edited by MORNE

1 hour ago, therealdavidn@gmail.com said:

not surprised - im waiting for it myself, given how much spray I ingested off the wheels in front of me

It me last night at 02:30, felt like the OMO bubble all day. On banana’s and Rehidrat today. 

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Does it really matter what substance was applied in excess in the general chommie area? haha

some people also need to check how old their bibs are. some of them were borderline pantyhose. Some views more pleasant than others of course....but still. 

Passed a guy in WHITE bibs somewhere on the M3 - decided I want to stay ahead of him at all costs. Sunday was NOT the day for white kit! Come to think of it, NO day is right for white cycling shorts! (Maybe a night ride could be the exception?)

13 minutes ago, DJR said:

Passed a guy in WHITE bibs somewhere on the M3 - decided I want to stay ahead of him at all costs. Sunday was NOT the day for white kit! Come to think of it, NO day is right for white cycling shorts! (Maybe a night ride could be the exception?)

Mathieu says hi.

spacer.png