Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

Ja, the Flasher at the start of Little Chappies. Could not believe my eyes....Wanted to turn back for another look. 

🤔 Yeah, I believe it was on Little Chappies, but then it must've been 2004, since 2003 we went over Ou Kaaps.

Alright, got curious. 2004 I was still a slow boi. Did a 4h11 from U bunch for my first go at the Chappies route. Definitely a late enough start for the Chappies flasher. The storie checks out.

Yeah, you right. We did not go over Chappies the year we went over Ou Kaaps. We actually went over Slangkop and Kommetjie to make up the distance. 

So it must have been 2004 or thereabouts. 

Edited by Wannabe

18 hours ago, ouzo said:

I strated reading your post and thought to myself, "thats if you can sustain 32km/h" after being flat out for 92km, than I checked my speed over that section in October, 35.7. ok it did help that I was tucked in behind a lady with a pink tutu

I should have said it’s an example using round numbers.

37 minutes ago, Jam9000 said:

2021 Cape Town Cycle Tour analysis. Might be useful to see what can be expected for your starting group.
2081335426_CapeTownCycleTour2021analysis.png.b941c2f6b3d471fda5dbf5d27ce5835c.png

Very cool.

Probably worth noting that 2021 went to 'F', whereas this year it only goes to 'D', so might be hard to draw exact comparisons.

6 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

Very cool.

Probably worth noting that 2021 went to 'F', whereas this year it only goes to 'D', so might be hard to draw exact comparisons.

Ah, makes sense. Then probably not to use it for 2022 starting group expectations. Should've added a "past performance may not be indicative of future results" disclaimer.

Hope someone can help. I only ride on my trainer and am entered for the CTCT. I have an awesome FTP of 153W :), weigh 78kg, 49 years old and am pretty useless on the bike.

I am only concerned about Jan Smuts, Edinburgh Drive, Smitswinkel, Chappies and Suikerbossie.

What power over what time would I need to maintain to comfortably climb these hills (I am not worried about getting up as fast as I can just want to keep my heart rate comfortable to complete the race in 5 hours.

If anyone has the gradients and distances of these climbs, it would  be appreciated.

Thanks for any help

I

14 minutes ago, silkman said:

Hope someone can help. I only ride on my trainer and am entered for the CTCT. I have an awesome FTP of 153W :), weigh 78kg, 49 years old and am pretty useless on the bike.

I am only concerned about Jan Smuts, Edinburgh Drive, Smitswinkel, Chappies and Suikerbossie.

What power over what time would I need to maintain to comfortably climb these hills (I am not worried about getting up as fast as I can just want to keep my heart rate comfortable to complete the race in 5 hours.

If anyone has the gradients and distances of these climbs, it would  be appreciated.

Thanks for any help

I

I would love to see this as well. Also my first one.

2 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

@silkman @Koos Likkewaan

I checked my Strava and I have the following:

De Waal Drive  - 3km 5%
Edinburgh - 2.2km 9.5%
Smitswinkel - 4.2km 10%
Chapmans (from Noordhoek Farm Village) 5.0km 10%
Suikerbos 2.0km 9%

These were recorded using a Polar V800 so are fairly accurate, but the gradient averages may differ somewhat.

This will do nicely ! Thanks !

17 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

@silkman @Koos Likkewaan

I checked my Strava and I have the following:

De Waal Drive  - 3km 5%
Edinburgh - 2.2km 9.5%
Smitswinkel - 4.2km 10%
Chapmans (from Noordhoek Farm Village) 5.0km 10%
Suikerbos 2.0km 9%

These were recorded using a Polar V800 so are fairly accurate, but the gradient averages may differ somewhat.

are those gradients the steepest sections of the climb because they seem a bit high