Low Cost Electric Commuter

JayLow

Has anyone tried an el cheapo e-bike commuter for shorter (<15km) commutes? I can potentially bike commute using backroads, but don't want to pay a motorcycle's price for a "help-my-trap".
These ones seem very cheap:
https://www.takealot.com/citi-traveler-e-bike/PLID72153273
And then these also exist
https://www.decathlon.co.za/city-bike-riding/300606-23123-elops-920-e-high-frame-electric-city-bike.html

I like the idea because it can potentially get me to and from work in the same time as full traffic car commute, it feels more environmentally friendly than the 8km/L of my vintage SUV, and the watts will reduce the sweat, hopefully negating the need for a shower.

I'd use my bicycle but then I have to arrange changehouse logistics and ebike feels like less admin.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

once that thing breaks (which it will ) its going to be a nightmare to get it bqck running if you even can 

e bikes are complicated things and a certain degree of big picture support needs to come with the bike to ensure its future ie. steps motors , bosch motors ect.

Have a look at the Darrvin commuters.

Standard Bafang motors and controls.  So you are sorted in terms of backups.

And my Bafang has a better service record than my GIANT .... :eek:

• 3 months later...

With the international fuel prices running havoc, we might start to see a new uptake in e-bike commuting.

I hear Dwayne Johnson declined shooting another iteration of the F&F franchises, I think he didn't take a liking to the new direction they were looking at...

Screenshot 2022-03-15 092451.png

2 hours ago, Vetplant said:

With the international fuel prices running havoc, we might start to see a new uptake in e-bike commuting.

I hear Dwayne Johnson declined shooting another iteration of the F&F franchises, I think he didn't take a liking to the new direction they were looking at...

Screenshot 2022-03-15 092451.png

Starring Vin Diesel's lesser known brother, Min Diesel

Edited by gerriemtb

I converted my touring bike into a commuting eBike. 

Got it from a guy in Melkbosstrand, its a Bafang motor with all the wiring and controllers you need. Only cost me R12,000 for a 1500W motor, controller and Battery. Runs up to 55km/h easily. But is pretty scary at that speed!!

Charge for free at work, so costs nothing to run.

IMG_3529.JPG

Kean Bike.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thread hijack (sort of). I am currently using a semi-old XC MTB for my commute. I do have shower facilities at work but it's 20-odd km and I'd appreciate a bit of help with pedalling.

I've visited Chilled Squirrel, their kits seem OK, but at the current pricing it's only a little bit more for a secondhand Giant Talon e-MTB here on the classified section, and then you get something that's sort of designed to be an ebike from the get-go.

The main disadvantage that I can see with Giant's offering (and most of the other commercial ones) is that the assist cuts out after 25 km/h while with the Bafang DIY stuff, you can keep going until much higher speeds.

Does anyone have experience commuting (or general road riding) on a commercial eMTB with this restriction? What's it like? Often I can average above 25 km/h, but with Cape Town winds... my average goes down to like 12 or 13 km/h and then I think about that electric assist really longingly.

It's just a large wad of cash so I'm keen to choose judiciously. Anyone who has a commercial eMTB and wishes they'd gone with a conversion instead? Or vice versa?

Check with Giant .... many of their ebikes assist up to 32km/h (American 20 miles per hour setting).  This is way more than enough for commuting.

On downhills only your gearing limits your top speed ,,,, I spin out at mid 40 km/h

Have a look at Darrvin ebikes.  EXCELLENT value for money !!!  From the work commute to doing the Argus, my Darrvin Connect has clocked up about 2 500 km in the last year.   More than once I have USED that e-assist into the Cape Town gale force :)

Edited by ChrisF

Good point about the Darrvin, I seem to remember coming across them before but I couldn't remember the name so I couldn't search for it! Thanks!

They're here in Cape Town so I think I'll give them a buzz. The pricing on most of their bikes is quite comparable to the Giants that I'm looking at (2nd-hand), and indeed the Chilled Squirrel kits.

The Darrvin Cross specifically talks about assist up to 45 km/h which is great, IMO, more than enough. All of them are pretty good-looking too.

On 11/30/2021 at 12:55 PM, JayLow said:

Has anyone tried an el cheapo e-bike commuter for shorter (<15km) commutes? I can potentially bike commute using backroads, but don't want to pay a motorcycle's price for a "help-my-trap".
These ones seem very cheap:
https://www.takealot.com/citi-traveler-e-bike/PLID72153273
And then these also exist
https://www.decathlon.co.za/city-bike-riding/300606-23123-elops-920-e-high-frame-electric-city-bike.html

I like the idea because it can potentially get me to and from work in the same time as full traffic car commute, it feels more environmentally friendly than the 8km/L of my vintage SUV, and the watts will reduce the sweat, hopefully negating the need for a shower.

I'd use my bicycle but then I have to arrange changehouse logistics and ebike feels like less admin.

I have heard a lot of good things about the avalanche E bike. Pretty sure it is about 28k or so. That is definitely one to consider, also I think getting parts won't be hard as avalanche are a south african brand I beleive?