2021 Rapha Festive 500

mecheng89

9 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I think an event is contrary to the spirit of the challenge isn't it?

So an 'average joe' does freedom challenge in 15 to 20 days, which is 2500km ish with 35000m ascent (from memory so am probably wrong).

I didn't think twice about doing that. 

The festive 500 is self motivated, with no reward or motivation other than what you assign to it.

In my very very humble opinion it is more difficult to do it over a number of days than in one organised 'event' as you need to find a way to fit it in amongst all the distractions. A single ride becomes a sole focus which eliminates the main difficulty of the whole thing, juggling family, leave, eating and exercise!

There is no audax at that time of the year anyway, I guess I was just saying that it would be possible to do it in one day ....

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

There is no audax at that time of the year anyway, I guess I was just saying that it would be possible to do it in one day ....

Ja, absolutely. By 'event' I don't mean it needs to be a paid up event, but if you commit to doing it in 1 ride, you then don't have to deal with the 'have you got this' and 'did you remember your parents/brother/sister etc are coming to visit this morning' and can focus wholly on getting the ride done.

The hardest part is often getting out the door. If you only have to get out the door once, the rest is just ticking over the pedals, eating and drinking

2 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Pretty much the same but I'd have to think long and hard to put myself through that again ....

SmartSelect_20220111-093058_Connect.jpg

401.58km

• 15:37:22
  • 2,439m
  • 129W
  • 7,265kJ

Avg Max
Speed 25.7km/h 69.1km/h
Heart Rate 130bpm 158bpm
Calories 14,917
Temperature 20
Elapsed Time 18:50:50

5 hours ago, _David_ said:

Must be getting soft in my old age:-)  My longest ride ever was 213kms don't think I want to do 500kms in one go.

4 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Pretty much the same but I'd have to think long and hard to put myself through that again ....

Ja nee, one thing age (experience) has taught me... I'm not suited (don't enjoy) ultra long rides in one day. Having done a few + 200 km training rides all on a Tri bike with TT bars... the longest and quickest being 225 km in 6.5 hrs with 1 other guy also on a tri bike. It just simply is not comfortable at the interface areas (bum, hands, elbows and shoulders), sometimes a saddle sore develops afterwards = not worth it.

Now i would rather do quality over ultra endurance.

ANYWAY, RAPHA500 is a 8 day challenge, finished and klaar, doing it in less than 8 days is being sommer windgat 😁 👍

19 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Ja, absolutely. By 'event' I don't mean it needs to be a paid up event, but if you commit to doing it in 1 ride, you then don't have to deal with the 'have you got this' and 'did you remember your parents/brother/sister etc are coming to visit this morning' and can focus wholly on getting the ride done.

The hardest part is often getting out the door. If you only have to get out the door once, the rest is just ticking over the pedals, eating and drinking

For me 500km In a week is a huge week as it is for any average rider  (average joes don’t ever consider the freedom challenge)

I thought the 500km would  be tough, it wasn’t.  Getting on the bike during that period was the difficult part and one of the most rewarding things I have done on a bike. No one to push you, no one to draft, no assigned course and distance per day 

Great fun and quite exhausting if you’re related to Christmas alcoholics and you’re the house cook.

Edited by Wayne pudding Mol
Spellcheck

3 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

For me 500km In a week is a huge week as it is for any average rider  (average joes don’t ever consider the freedom challenge)

I thought the 500km would  be tough, it wasn’t.  Getting on the bike during that period was the difficult part and one of the most rewarding things I have done on a bike. No one to push you, no one to draft, no assigned course and distance per day 

Great fun and quite exhausting if you’re related to Christmas alcoholics and you’re the house cook.

Exactly! 

You smashed it with about 15 times more elevation than most too. Getting out the door 6 days out of 8 is the real achievement. Especially if you managed to do that without getting any backlash! hahaha

I rolled it in 3 rides. My spouse remarked that she is happy it was done in in 3 trips, allowing us to spend other mornings doing lekka stuff as a family. 

So, that'll be the standard from now on, unless I'm travelling during this time.

19 hours ago, SwissVan said:

Ja nee, one thing age (experience) has taught me... I'm not suited (don't enjoy) ultra long rides in one day. Having done a few + 200 km training rides all on a Tri bike with TT bars... the longest and quickest being 225 km in 6.5 hrs with 1 other guy also on a tri bike. It just simply is not comfortable at the interface areas (bum, hands, elbows and shoulders), sometimes a saddle sore develops afterwards = not worth it.

Now i would rather do quality over ultra endurance.

ANYWAY, RAPHA500 is a 8 day challenge, finished and klaar, doing it in less than 8 days is being sommer windgat 😁 👍

See that why you use a gravel bike with 700 x 45. Comfort and no rush. I do put the tt bars on but that's for them nasty Head winds.

I am not to worried about how fast. and my avg time is 4-430 per 100 including stops.

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

I rolled it in 3 rides. My spouse remarked that she is happy it was done in in 3 trips, allowing us to spend other mornings doing lekka stuff as a family. 

So, that'll be the standard from now on, unless I'm travelling during this time.

Mine was the opposite. I did something every day, with many rides getting me back home before the wife was dressed and ready to go out.

Last year (2020) I did 3x 5 hour rides and 2x 2 hour rides and she complained that I was out for half the day. Two days were travelling, which is why I did 3x long rides.

On 1/12/2022 at 9:14 AM, Spy007 said:

See that why you use a gravel bike with 700 x 45. Comfort and no rush. I do put the tt bars on but that's for them nasty Head winds.

I am not to worried about how fast. and my avg time is 4-430 per 100 including stops.

Fat tires wont improve my comfort, at least half of my rides were done on a dual susser mtb.

My ass is not built for comfort 😁

• 11 months later...