2021 Rapha Festive 500

mecheng89

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

If you aren't used to riding for that long, it can be very fatiguing, very quickly, as you ramp up to the hours required to get the 500Km done. If your weekly average is 150Km (example only), it means you have to ramp up by 250Km in the final week (166% increase). To get you ready for that, you need to be doing the extra miles in the 3-4 months prior so your body gets used to the higher load.

The less time you have, the more intensity you need to ride at get the mileage completed. Increasing the intensity will require you to decrease the volume (duration and frequency) otherwise you end up with that fatigue.

I see you averaged 27km/h (for 2021), so you'll need to ride for 18.5 hours (+/-) over the 7 days available to you to tick off the 500Km. Sound easy. For  18.5 hours it means riding 2h40 each day at 27km/h. What makes it easier, is if:
(1) the wind doesn't blow;
(2) you have a group to share the workload, and;
(3) you don't have a trainer to do it indoors, and it rains (like Monday the 27th).

So that means you have to plan for longer rides to get ahead of the daily average. Dropping your speed by 2km/h (less intense) will require that you ride another 13 minutes (longer duration) to get the daily average. So, doing a 100Km ride at 25km/h is 4 hours off the 18.5 required (at the original 27Km/h planned). That leaves 400km, at 27km/h, for 2h04 daily ride time. Do another 100Km ride on 31st in 4 hours, means you need 300Km in 5 days, or 60Km at 27km/h = 2h13 per day, or @25km/h = 2h24 per day.

'The wind doesn't blow' 🤡🤡🤡

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Different ways to skin a cat 500km in one go around the velodrome. Impressive I wouldn't want to do it in that kind of weather.

Edited by _David_

My initial thoughts were why are people so desperate to do it quicker or do way more than 'necessary' but since its been around for a while I'm pretty impressed by what innovative challenges people have set for themselves ... It's become way more than just the festive '500' for many and that's cool and takes nothing away from those for whom just managing the 500 is tough because of other responsibilities or their fitness level

3 hours ago, _David_ said:

Different ways to skin a cat 500km in one go around the velodrome. Impressive I wouldn't want to do it in that kind of weather.

As the saying goes “ only mad dogs & Englishman “ brilliant 👌

Every time I see something like this , I want to do something that will push me way beyond my limit or what i thought was even remotely possible. 

Edited by Pikey

18 hours ago, Pikey said:

As the saying goes “ only mad dogs & Englishman “ brilliant 👌

Every time I see something like this , I want to do something that will push me way beyond my limit or what i thought was even remotely possible. 

You've commented this on my Munga Grit story too.... Just enter the Grit Cradle already @Pikey! You never know what you're capable of until you're staring the edge right in the face and decide to down the last half of the pint and get the hell on with it. 

Back on topic, chapeu to everyone that completed this.

If you're not built for endurance or regularly sit in the saddle for an extended period of time its tough. I did it last year, but the mixture of time away from family during my only real break in the year and having already done some ultra distance this year made me skip 2021. In 2022 I'm definitely planning to do this again, but in 1-3 rides. Seeing that velodrome attempt made me feel all fuzzy inside, so that's a distinct possibility for a single-ride option. Otherwise I'm planning a day or two away with family somewhere 200-250km away from home, and making the ride there and back my festive 500.

Well done all who finished the challenge. I didnt make it🥴. Had Covid from the 16th and my body showed me he wasnt ready for it. Still not 100 but at least Im riding again. 354 days to build up and then smash it when Dezemba comes. Maybe do a GRIT for training. Cant wait! 

On 12/31/2021 at 5:56 PM, Wayne pudding Mol said:

With 8km to go I took this photo outside my mates farm to let him know he’s lazy

500km in about  26 hours 

90 percent gravel and just over 7500

I’m pleased I did it 

9EAE3B61-12F0-40BA-8B8E-8D5B045ADB71.jpeg

Haha I'm sure Jake appreciated the reminder :)

16 hours ago, Spy007 said:

AS a side note when i did the 400 audax that was only 19 hours total.  Just a thought. only one day needed

Must be getting soft in my old age:-)  My longest ride ever was 213kms don't think I want to do 500kms in one go.

2 hours ago, _David_ said:

Must be getting soft in my old age:-)  My longest ride ever was 213kms don't think I want to do 500kms in one go.

Ja nee, then again, ultra-endurance riding is a speciality, as much as DH, track or even stage racing. Not for anyone, however romantic it may seem to complete the Festive 500 in one go.

Edited by 'Dale

17 hours ago, Spy007 said:

AS a side note when i did the 400 audax that was only 19 hours total.  Just a thought. only one day needed

Pretty much the same but I'd have to think long and hard to put myself through that again ....

SmartSelect_20220111-093058_Connect.jpg

16 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Ja nee, then again, ultra-endurance riding is a speciality, as much as DH, track or even stage racing. Not for anyone, however, romantic it may seem to complete the Festive 500 in one go.

knowing what my rear will have to endure, romantic would not be the description I'd use

This is Christian - a proper nutter customer of mine. Did the Rapha 500 in a day on his gravel bike. In Copenhagen. In winter. This is him at the local Rapha store the day after his effort...going for a group ride 🙂

Side note - I ordered a 3T for myself based on the quality and finish of his Exploro. Absolutely amazing bikes! The manufacturing process was covered on GCN a while ago. Proper cutting edge stuff. To say I'm a fanboy is an understatement!

image.png.a709579effaa136d255962e98036b1f5.png

I think an event is contrary to the spirit of the challenge isn't it?

So an 'average joe' does freedom challenge in 15 to 20 days, which is 2500km ish with 35000m ascent (from memory so am probably wrong).

I didn't think twice about doing that. 

The festive 500 is self motivated, with no reward or motivation other than what you assign to it.

In my very very humble opinion it is more difficult to do it over a number of days than in one organised 'event' as you need to find a way to fit it in amongst all the distractions. A single ride becomes a sole focus which eliminates the main difficulty of the whole thing, juggling family, leave, eating and exercise!