Tried and tested ways to burn fat

arandre

I'd also go as far as saying you're not going to get optimal results for weight loss riding your bike or running.

Weight training and HIIT will shed you way faster.

But that's a whole different discussion

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went from 80 to 70 by doing the calorie counting/deficit thing then completely stopped counting and since I varied between 69 to 71 (72 during xmas holidays due to a week off the bike).

I hate riding fasted, I feel empty and ***, don't enjoy the ride, and can't do any kind of intensity. Not very scientific, but I feel I burn less calories if I do it, and will still smash the same amount of food eitherway, so kind of feel like it's useless.

I do 1 fasted ride every 2/3 weeks just because I didn't plan on riding early so didn't prep breakfast and still woke up early. Don't want to wake the family up so out I go. And when I had a coach I had a fasted ride every 2/3 weeks or so so there must be benefits of doing one every once in a while, but I don't believe in riding fasted every day.

Edited by Jbr

19 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

Low HR activities taps into your body's fat reserves as opposed to glycogen as an energy source. But yes, at low HR over 30mins you're not losing anything as the total calories consumed is low, hence you need to ride for long, 2-3hrs to gain a worthwhile advantage

This is true, regardless of metabolism  type.

But most people will not do low HR/power endurance rides. The temptation to smash it hard on a section to beat a pb may be too much.

I do the same, as most of my riding is go till you blow.

I am fortunate that I can smash whatever I want in my face and only gain weight when I stop exercising. If I had to stop drinking beer, I’ll probably drop another pant size…but who wants to do that. 

A note on riding fasted. 
It takes some getting used to, and it should be done slowly increasing intensity and duration. Best done early mornings 

3 minutes ago, RocknRolla said:

A note on riding fasted. 
It takes some getting used to, and it should be done slowly increasing intensity and duration. Best done early mornings 

I know of a certain lone wolf ginger wahooligan who will tell you that keto is life, just do it and you can push 300w for 4 hours without eating and drinking only water..... I' post some STRAVA or Social Media evidence but I'm blocked

11 minutes ago, RocknRolla said:

A note on riding fasted. 

the main reason I ride fasted is because I'm to lazy to get up earlier and eat something before my ride.

But I've been doing it for so many years that my body is used to it, feels strange to eat before a ride now.

Intimittent fasting did the trick for me. I lost weight with drinking coffee at 8am, breakfast 10am then lunch was usually a yogurt with mixed trails then supper before 6pm. Did all my workouts in the evening after supper when I was full. Then covid came when I was flying high, started working from home and my fridge became my best friend, then the weight returned with a lot more of its friends/kgs. This year I want to start again.

42 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I'd also go as far as saying you're not going to get optimal results for weight loss riding your bike or running.

Weight training and HIIT will shed you way faster.

But that's a whole different discussion

Indeed, weight/cross training ftw. Recruiting more muscles during training will speed up your metabolism, and you'll burn fat much quicker than just cycling/running. Going the route of the new years resolutioners, where they just do cardio and diet like crazy, only to lose a lot of weight, but end up looking 5 years older and still like a sack of ****.

Edited by stefmeister

3 minutes ago, ouzo said:

the main reason I ride fasted is because I'm to lazy to get up earlier and eat something before my ride.

But I've been doing it for so many years that my body is used to it, feels strange to eat before a ride now.

That’s how I got started as well. But in general I do not have the desire to eat before 9 or 10am in the morning (usually awake and active from 5am during school terms)

My weekend rides with the missus often sees me forgetting to eat prior to or pack a snack for 3 to 4 hour rides. But I ride low intensity with her. 

I guess the take-away (no pun intended) from this thread for the OP will be that everyone’s body is different, experiment with what works for you. Drastic changes is not always good or sustainable. 

All this calorie counting and measuring foods just takes too much time and is confusing.

I use HR zone 70 - 75 % of max - used to use 220 - age but my FTP tests indicate i can go 12 - 15 BPM higher so now i use that.

Cut out all bread

Cut out all fizzy drinks and fruit juices

no dop - nothing nadda !

only 1 starch at dinner, never 2 so no rice and potats, its either rice or potats

no sugar - sweets - cake - cookies and all that lekka stuff

Eat out, its meat, chicken or fish (grilled never fried) and side salad, no chips, onion rings -  I don't do restaurant veggies either, my wife forces that down my throat at home.

I just hit the big 60's so its not easy to shred weight especially around your gut, but i target 0.9 - 1.0 kg a week loss. 5 years ago i could do 1.2 kg a week.

Out of interest - training intensity of 70 - 75 is the key - for the last 2.5 months of 2021 i trained 5 - 6 times a week chasing disco points, I had to keep the intensity at 90 - 100 % of max HR - i lost 0 weight. the last time i trained with that amount of volume at 75%  over the same  period i lost 11 kg

2 hours ago, TheoG said:

Agree, I do know my info and use HR during each and every exercise.  Since I'm in the process of losing weight I rather monitor my energy consumption a lot closer than HR.  Once I'm at a competitive weight again, I will pay more attention to my HR zones to improve performance more than anything else.

how would i monitor my energy consumption? Counting calories?

13 minutes ago, arandre said:

how would i monitor my energy consumption? Counting calories?

Energy usage is what your body use/need, thats easy if you have a GPS HR watch that can monitor your HR continuously and also record your workouts/rides/exercises. 

What you consume (eat/drink) is more effort, but luckily we have the web to google the calorific value of almost everything.  You just need to add up everything that you eat.   There are some nice aps that make it easier to do this.

Edited by TheoG

5 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Energy usage is what your body use/need, thats easy if you have a GPS HR watch that can monitor your HR continuously and also record your workouts/rides/exercises. 

What you consume (eat/drink) is more effort, but luckily we have the web to google the calorific value of almost everything.  You just need to add up everything that you eat.   There are some nice aps that make it easier to do this.

There is a local app that even has KFC meals, boerewors roll (plus accoutrements) and Steers burgers etc..... So you just plug in what you eat and it gives you a rough guide which is better than no guide.

It's pretty rad.

As an aside, I have a very relaxed personal take on diet. I eat Pizza almost once a week, I smash air fryer chips all the time, am addicted to chicken mayo and cheese toasted sandwiches and sometimes buy a cake and eat half of it on a random Wednesday. I will also occasionally binge eat an entire 200g slab of chocolate after supper.

I however, don't drink alcohol more than 2 or 3 times a year, eat veggies and healthy food 99% of the time, snack on nuts and fruit, manage portion size (mostly) and maintain a very consistent exercise routine and have done so for many many years. (This is key)

I weigh 73 currently having put on some chub due to a not insubstantial calf injury and covid double whammy which led to some serious bingeing and 'woe is me' Eeyore eating.

I'm busy getting over that currently. 

I guess what I'm saying is that if you manage to do the hard work and get to a weight that is comfortable, it is easy to maintain if you got there sustainably. If you aren't a complete race snake you can definitely still eat cake every once in a while

3 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

There is a local app that even has KFC meals, boerewors roll (plus accoutrements) and Steers burgers etc..... So you just plug in what you eat and it gives you a rough guide which is better than no guide.

It's pretty rad.

As an aside, I have a very relaxed personal take on diet. I eat Pizza almost once a week, I smash air fryer chips all the time, am addicted to chicken mayo and cheese toasted sandwiches and sometimes buy a cake and eat half of it on a random Wednesday. I will also occasionally binge eat an entire 200g slab of chocolate after supper.

I however, don't drink alcohol more than 2 or 3 times a year, eat veggies and healthy food 99% of the time, snack on nuts and fruit, manage portion size (mostly) and maintain a very consistent exercise routine and have done so for many many years. (This is key)

I weigh 73 currently having put on some chub due to a not insubstantial calf injury and covid double whammy which led to some serious bingeing and 'woe is me' Eeyore eating.

I'm busy getting over that currently. 

I guess what I'm saying is that if you manage to do the hard work and get to a weight that is comfortable, it is easy to maintain if you got there sustainably. If you aren't a complete race snake you can definitely still eat cake every once in a while

App name you referring to please ?