Tried and tested ways to burn fat

arandre

6 minutes ago, Eldron said:

How long it took you to put on is irrelevant - a safe weight loss rate is 500g-1,000g per week. That's what you should be aiming for.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/losing_weight/index.html

Interesting range ....

When we cleaned our act, and the cupboards .... I lost 24kg.  Thinking back this was about 600g per week.

First 20kg was purely by eating correct portions and balanced meals.  Only after this did I starts exercise.

Actually picked up a few kg when the exercise got more intense ... while reducing my body fat percentage.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, ChrisF said:

Interesting range ....

When we cleaned our act, and the cupboards .... I lost 24kg.  Thinking back this was about 600g per week.

First 20kg was purely by eating correct portions and balanced meals.  Only after this did I starts exercise.

Actually picked up a few kg when the exercise got more intense ... while reducing my body fat percentage.

This is an important point. Kilograms is a convenient way to measure weight loss initially but as you get thinner and fitter then how you look and performance are better indicators. Nicely done!

The tried and tested way of burning fat, well, what i do is if the chops are a bit fatty i lay them upright next to each other. This way the fat burns nice and crispy. Very similar when you do a spare rib in the closed rooster sideways in the braai. But i guess everyone has there own ways......

11 minutes ago, dave303e said:

add to this- Most have a small caloric surplus for many many months and over the space many years pack on weight. To reverse that in the space of months takes a massive caloric deficit which is not sustainable no matter which fad diet/fasting plan you are on.

If you took 10 years to get fat. Assign 8 years to lose it and know it is going to be a long tough 8 years with a lot of hard decisions. Don't expect it in 8 weeks or even months...

Emphasis is on fad diets and x-week training plans. Losing weight is easy, and can be done quickly - don't let anyone tell you otherwise or believe their bull**** excuses. The key to success is consistency. Motivation is what gets you started, and to start losing weight. Consistency is what achieve the results at the end of the day. 

There's only one way to be consistent, and that is to find/do something that you actually enjoy with tangible results, not cardio on a treadmill, or these silly crossfit-dancing classes.  

2 minutes ago, Spafsack said:

The tried and tested way of burning fat, well, what i do is if the chops are a bit fatty i lay them upright next to each other. This way the fat burns nice and crispy. Very similar when you do a spare rib in the closed rooster sideways in the braai. But i guess everyone has there own ways......

Top tip for braaiers all over .... 🤣

7 minutes ago, Eldron said:

This is an important point. Kilograms is a convenient way to measure weight loss initially but as you get thinner and fitter then how you look and performance are better indicators. Nicely done!

And pay very little attention to BMI.

According to the website that you linked to I should way between 55kg and 76kg for my height. But the only thing it took into account was my height. If I weighed in at 55kg I swear you'd see my bones poking through my skin and have zero muscle.

4 minutes ago, ouzo said:

And pay very little attention to BMI.

According to the website that you linked to I should way between 55kg and 76kg for my height. But the only thing it took into account was my height. If I weighed in at 55kg I swear you'd see my bones poking through my skin and have zero muscle.

Agree, BMI is BS.  Rather go for a healthy fat %, somewhere in the middle of the range for normal people and closer to the lower end for the race snakes.

Edit:  Unfortunately Discovery and the like does use BMI for the "health assessments" ... :( .

Edited by TheoG

4 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Agree, BMI is BS.  Rather go for a healthy fat %, somewhere in the middle of the range for normal people and closer to the lower end for the race snakes.

Edit:  Unfortunately Discovery and the like does use BMI for the "health assessments" ... :( .

according to BMI calcs I'm overweight, even if I drop down to my target of 75kg. 

16 minutes ago, stefmeister said:

Emphasis is on fad diets and x-week training plans. Losing weight is easy, and can be done quickly - don't let anyone tell you otherwise or believe their bull**** excuses. The key to success is consistency. Motivation is what gets you started, and to start losing weight. Consistency is what achieve the results at the end of the day. 

There's only one way to be consistent, and that is to find/do something that you actually enjoy with tangible results, not cardio on a treadmill, or these silly crossfit-dancing classes.  

PFFFT!

Billy Blanks had me at 'DOUBLE TIME!'

I actually used to go to jazzercise and Tae Bo classes pretty often because it was super fun. 

Dancing is food for the soul

10 minutes ago, TheoG said:

According to BMI i am just short of being obese. And i am not ,maybe 3kg overweight .An accurate way to get a good idea of your expected weight is to add 10 kg when male or subtract 10 kg when female of your height in cm .Example I am 194 cm so i should weigh between 94 and 104 kg depending on my built .If i was a female it is 84 to 94 kg ,again depending on your body shape .Big hands and wrists are at the heavier scale and so on .It is surprisingly accurate 

3 minutes ago, eala said:

According to BMI i am just short of being obese. And i am not ,maybe 3kg overweight .An accurate way to get a good idea of your expected weight is to add 10 kg when male or subtract 10 kg when female of your height in cm .Example I am 194 cm so i should weigh between 94 and 104 kg depending on my built .If i was a female it is 84 to 94 kg ,again depending on your body shape .Big hands and wrists are at the heavier scale and so on .It is surprisingly accurate 

Your formula is a bit out for me.  I'm 1.86m so according to that I should be between 86 and 96.  That's a bit heavy, my ideal weight is around 84 according to fat %.

Edited by TheoG

3 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Your formula is a bit out for me.  I'm 1.86m so according to that I should be between 86 and 96.  That's a bit heavy, my ideal weight is around 84 according to fat %.

Obviously age and your build plays a big part .Matt Beers and i am the same height ,but i weigh 20 kg more .He is super skinny .I weighed 84 kg when i was 16 years old and played lock at rugby .If i had to go down to 84 kg now i would be skin and bones .When i was super fit and had no stomach fat i weighed 96 kg ,and that is accurate when using this method 

1 hour ago, stefmeister said:

True - this why I like low carb.  Some people may call it a fad, but:

• It is easy
  • It works
  • You won't go hungry

And you don't have to cut out all carbs - Just generally white carbs: sugar, bread, rice, pasta.

Note: For some reason it doesn't seem to work as well for women as men.

Andrew

30 minutes ago, eala said:

Obviously age and your build plays a big part .Matt Beers and i am the same height ,but i weigh 20 kg more .He is super skinny .I weighed 84 kg when i was 16 years old and played lock at rugby .If i had to go down to 84 kg now i would be skin and bones .When i was super fit and had no stomach fat i weighed 96 kg ,and that is accurate when using this method 

Yes, but that heavy muscle mass is still weight. It's all bout function.

Corne Krige got down from a 100kg rugby player to a 74kg cyclist in his 40s with the same ish BMI.

If you want to be efficient, have the right muscles. You can 100% train and shape your body if you are dedicated enough.

I also saw Todd Blackadder in NZ at 2m tall ex 110kg giant weighing in at 80 odd kg post retirement at a cycle race in NZ.

Most of us are genuinely just not disciplined or dedicated enough to really lose the weight be it fat and muscle mass we would like to. 

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

PFFFT!

Billy Blanks had me at 'DOUBLE TIME!'

I actually used to go to jazzercise and Tae Bo classes pretty often because it was super fun. 

Dancing is food for the soul

Jissis I just had a pang of nostalgia back to early-teen me, watching Tae-Bo infomercials for much longer than I'd like to admit while flipping through channels waiting for either a Big Green Clean Machine to lift a safe or that bald dude to flip a pancake onto Isabel Jones' head.

The vrou and I just started eating a little better (she found out she has some insulin resistance, brought on by some complications during popping out out last born), and the broccoli salad we had yesterday was great, just had me farting like a racehorse. 

I'm trying to help her along getting her to focus just on getting out of the door 3-4 times a week. She can focus on which intensity etc. etc. later, the toughest part is just forming and keeping the habit of adding regular exercise to your routine.

Edited by TyronLab