Tried and tested ways to burn fat

arandre

As mentioned already by others. Caloric deficit, how ever you’d like to achieve that. Weightloss is chemistry and math.  

If you dont fancy eating 1600 calories a day as a dude, you exercise more etc. Avoid alcohol if you can. Or restrict it to certain days. And yes..count them too. They are still carbs. Empty carbs though and your body apparently prioritises getting it out of your system before it does anything else like digest food. Why some claim that booze will ‘slow’ your motabolism. When I ‘cut’ I only have a glass of wine on wednesdays and saturdays. 

i lost 30kg about 5 years ago counting calories and Doing high intensity training(HIIT) sessions of just 30mins.

But then you do 30min and you should be proper broken. Like zone 4-5 and 3 times a week. 
i get the arguments for low intensity training and fat burning and yes HIIT needs more carbs, but doing HIIT also means you will be burning calories hours after your training session. I’ve tested this wearing a HR monitor before and if you smash it for 30min you’ll burn 600 calories…and then more fir about 2 hours after you stop. If you cruise around for 3 hours in z2 you’ll never get those numbers.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, TheoG said:

App name you referring to please ?

Yoh... I can't actually remember. I haven't tracked my calorie intake for a number of years. 

Fatsecret or was that the one I tried and didn't get on with?

I used to cross fit and we had eating plans and stuff as one of the coaches at the box was also a dietician. She set up all the bits and pieces and we just followed the rules. 

I shreddeded hard.... boet!

10 minutes ago, TheoG said:

App name you referring to please ?

Probably fat secret. I’ve tried most of them and still default back to myfitnesspal though. The barcode scanner to ad food makes it worth it.

I was using My Fitness Pal. I think I linked it to my garmin connect or strava, so both would know what I burned / ate so I could monitor every day if I was going to be in excess or deficit.

2 hours ago, _David_ said:

I would like to know what Rebel Wilson done that's a serious transformation.

1166147.jpg

Froome's sister, just lost the fat 🤣

Easiest advice is improve quality of diet and increase exercise. 

Top Tip: Be careful not to gain weight when you start training due to the compensation effect. (eating too much after training) 

If your objective is to maximize fat burning, low intensity is not necessarily the best option.  Rather, moderate intensity burns more fat per hour, before a decline in fat use as the intensity rises beyond about 60%.

This reminds me

watch this TED talk, i promise you will learn something about how fat loss works and it will be something you didn't know…even you ‘racing snakes’ lol. 

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

There is a local app that even has KFC meals, boerewors roll (plus accoutrements) and Steers burgers etc..... So you just plug in what you eat and it gives you a rough guide which is better than no guide.

It's pretty rad.

As an aside, I have a very relaxed personal take on diet. I eat Pizza almost once a week, I smash air fryer chips all the time, am addicted to chicken mayo and cheese toasted sandwiches and sometimes buy a cake and eat half of it on a random Wednesday. I will also occasionally binge eat an entire 200g slab of chocolate after supper.

I however, don't drink alcohol more than 2 or 3 times a year, eat veggies and healthy food 99% of the time, snack on nuts and fruit, manage portion size (mostly) and maintain a very consistent exercise routine and have done so for many many years. (This is key)

I weigh 73 currently having put on some chub due to a not insubstantial calf injury and covid double whammy which led to some serious bingeing and 'woe is me' Eeyore eating.

I'm busy getting over that currently. 

I guess what I'm saying is that if you manage to do the hard work and get to a weight that is comfortable, it is easy to maintain if you got there sustainably. If you aren't a complete race snake you can definitely still eat cake every once in a while

That is the key part. I need that back in my life. Its been some years. I just need to get disciplined enough. I am sure I can find the time now.

2 hours ago, MORNE said:

As mentioned already by others. Caloric deficit, how ever you’d like to achieve that. Weightloss is chemistry and math.  

If you dont fancy eating 1600 calories a day as a dude, you exercise more etc. Avoid alcohol if you can. Or restrict it to certain days. And yes..count them too. They are still carbs. Empty carbs though and your body apparently prioritises getting it out of your system before it does anything else like digest food. Why some claim that booze will ‘slow’ your motabolism. When I ‘cut’ I only have a glass of wine on wednesdays and saturdays. 

i lost 30kg about 5 years ago counting calories and Doing high intensity training(HIIT) sessions of just 30mins.

But then you do 30min and you should be proper broken. Like zone 4-5 and 3 times a week. 
i get the arguments for low intensity training and fat burning and yes HIIT needs more carbs, but doing HIIT also means you will be burning calories hours after your training session. I’ve tested this wearing a HR monitor before and if you smash it for 30min you’ll burn 600 calories…and then more fir about 2 hours after you stop. If you cruise around for 3 hours in z2 you’ll never get those numbers.

1hr in zone2 is 600 calories... 

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

This reminds me

watch this TED talk, i promise you will learn something about how fat loss works and it will be something you didn't know…even you ‘racing snakes’ lol. 

I really enjoyed that. I used to play with liquid nitrogen, dry ice, liquid oxygen and liquid argon for a living 🙂

12 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

yeah spot on. I did 1200 calories in two hours on a z2 ride on the last day of rapha500.

Edited by Jbr

13 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

maybe if you are 120kg or use a garmin ? Lol. Closer to 450 imo. But i guess its device and individual dependant.

It’s moot though…because my point was you’ll burn more for longer AFTER workout doing 30min HIIT than cruising in z2 for an hour.

Edited by MORNE

8 minutes ago, Eldron said:

I really enjoyed that. I used to play with liquid nitrogen, dry ice, liquid oxygen and liquid argon for a living 🙂

Me too. And seeing the chemistry makes it feel so much less ‘snake oil’ marketing bs (like almost anything weightloss related out there) haha 

9 minutes ago, Jbr said:

yeah spot on. I did 1200 calories in two hours on a z2 ride on the last day of rapha500.

Damn. I burn around double that: 3,443 calories in 3.5 hours according to Garmin Connect. Low Zone 2 at 243w. I'm 82kg.

8 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Me too. And seeing the chemistry makes it feel so much less ‘snake oil’ marketing bs (like almost anything weightloss related out there) haha 

Indeed. The weight loss/snake oil market is worth trillions. Testimony to humans wanting to take short cuts instead of putting the work in 🤪

16 minutes ago, MORNE said:

maybe if you are 120kg or use a garmin ? Lol. Closer to 450 imo. But i guess its device and individual dependant.

It’s moot though…because my point was you’ll burn more for longer AFTER workout doing 30min HIIT than cruising in z2 for an hour.

Perhaps, but I don't see how 30mins HIIT burns more calories post workout than 1hr at Z2. 

HIIT also forces your body to use glycogen reserves, where Z2 uses fat reserves. 

I'd love to see an article explaining the science behind your theory. That said, any of these practices would be ineffective in weight loss without maintaining a daily calorie deficit