Tried and tested ways to burn fat

arandre

A lot of this stuff is fortunately/unfortunately genetic, but a handful of principles have solid scientific backing. Have a look at these guys' work: https://thegrowtheq.com/nailing-the-basics-is-simple-not-easy-the-growth-equation-manifesto/

Calorie counting is a massive hassle and in the majority of cases it's neither sustainable nor effective. Usable calories in food differs from what's on the packaging (so how accurately can you count calories in?) and calorie burn measurements not done in a lab tend to be inaccurate enough to have limited usefulness (so how accurately can you determine calories out?). Every person's body uses food (slightly) differently, not to mention the emotional limitations to food discipline. The best diet is the one you can stick to that has appropriate portion control in terms of macronutrients (protein, fat, carbs) minimizes sugar (steady blood sugar levels), and focusses on nutritious foods (non-processed). There is a lot of noise out there. 

In terms of using fat as fuel, I've tried the Maffetone method with some success - it takes a LONG time to train the body to default to fat and not sugar (i.e. to stay in the aerobic zone despite going faster)
https://lifeonthemafmethod.wordpress.com/what-is-maf-training/
https://philmaffetone.com/what-is-maf/

Hope this helps!

Edited by JayLow
clarification

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, JayLow said:

In terms of using fat as fuel, I've tried the Maffetone method with some success - it takes a LONG time to train the body to default to fat and not sugar.

Hope this helps!

That isn't how the body works. You can only use fat as an energy source at low intensity - as you raise the intensity the body uses more and more carbs.

You can shift the carb curve a little to the right but the overall shape of the graph stays the same.

4 minutes ago, Eldron said:

That isn't how the body works. You can only use fat as an energy source at low intensity - as you raise the intensity the body uses more and more carbs.

You can shift the carb curve a little to the right but the overall shape of the graph stays the same.

This 👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻
Still waiting for a banter to win a Grand Tour. 

4 minutes ago, jcza said:

This 👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻

Apparently Froome had a big problem with carbs, but that was mostly likely outside of training.

2 minutes ago, jcza said:

This 👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻

Drives me nuts. People bang on about how they're in full ketosis braaaah like it's the holy grail. Fun fact - it's an undesirable medical condition that starts with mental fatigue, nausea and headaches then ends with joint swelling and kidney stones...

2 hours ago, FondTF2 said:

Simple method is to ensure calorie intake is less than calories burned on a daily/weekly basis.

Simple, yes but not that simple:

1000 Calories of sugar and 1000 Calories of Salmon are not the same.

33 minutes ago, JayLow said:

A lot of this stuff is fortunately/unfortunately genetic, but a handful of principles have solid scientific backing. Have a look at these guys' work: https://thegrowtheq.com/nailing-the-basics-is-simple-not-easy-the-growth-equation-manifesto/

Calorie counting is a massive hassle and in the majority of cases it's neither sustainable nor effective. Usable calories in food differs from what's on the packaging (so how accurately can you count calories in?) and calorie burn measurements not done in a lab tend to be inaccurate enough to have limited usefulness (so how accurately can you determine calories out?). Every person's body uses food (slightly) differently, not to mention the emotional limitations to food discipline. The best diet is the one you can stick to that has appropriate portion control in terms of macronutrients (protein, fat, carbs) minimizes sugar (steady blood sugar levels), and focusses on nutritious foods (non-processed). There is a lot of noise out there. 

In terms of using fat as fuel, I've tried the Maffetone method with some success - it takes a LONG time to train the body to default to fat and not sugar (i.e. to stay in the aerobic zone despite going faster)

Hope this helps!

If they can’t *accurately*  measure it in detail in a lab, how good are the mobile apps?

they’ll get you close, but not over the line.

edit: referring to measuring how one burns calories.

Edited by Frosty

ive been listening to all these diet trends (i mean advice) and ive concluded that you should only be on a diet of fresh air

32 minutes ago, Eldron said:

regardless of intensity, there will be a combination of fat and glycogen being used. but you're right, higher intensity requires carb fueling. USUALLY - it's very individual. efficient fat-burners can do 1g/min or more. and fat has 2.25x more energy than carbs or protein. intensity is where it's key as it'll be lower almost certainly, but if i'm pushing 300w and burning fat at a low intensity, well, i'm doing pretty decently and will go very far for very long

27 minutes ago, jcza said:

This 👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻

i suspect many riders use carb restriction to reduce weight after their off-season, but race with carbs. so probably banters have won regularly in recent times, but when they're pulling on the winner's jersey, it's because they've been inhaling gels. at least it looks like that on telly

25 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Drives me nuts. People bang on about how they're in full ketosis braaaah like it's the holy grail. Fun fact - it's an undesirable medical condition that starts with mental fatigue, nausea and headaches then ends with joint swelling and kidney stones...

again, quite individual. Different folks, different strokes. Ketosis isn't the holy grail, but a good understanding can be helpful if that's the help I need - don't throw the baby out with the bathwater is my advice. It takes time to adapt and once there, there are advantages to be had - at least with keto I won't get my nutrition wrong, but I won't be winning either most likely, but I'd blame my legs first! Don't expect them on day #1 though. The same goes for carbs - chomping 100g/hr or gels on day #1 will leave one surprised in many many ways.

4 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

regardless of intensity, there will be a combination of fat and glycogen being used. but you're right, higher intensity requires carb fueling. USUALLY - it's very individual. efficient fat-burners can do 1g/min or more. and fat has 2.25x more energy than carbs or protein. intensity is where it's key as it'll be lower almost certainly, but if i'm pushing 300w and burning fat at a low intensity, well, i'm doing pretty decently and will go very far for very long

i suspect many riders use carb restriction to reduce weight after their off-season, but race with carbs. so probably banters have won regularly in recent times, but when they're pulling on the winner's jersey, it's because they've been inhaling gels. at least it looks like that on telly

again, quite individual. Different folks, different strokes. Ketosis isn't the holy grail, but a good understanding can be helpful if that's the help I need - don't throw the baby out with the bathwater is my advice. It takes time to adapt and once there, there are advantages to be had - at least with keto I won't get my nutrition wrong, but I won't be winning either most likely, but I'd blame my legs first! Don't expect them on day #1 though. The same goes for carbs - chomping 100g/hr or gels on day #1 will leave one surprised in many many ways.

Not USUALLY - ALWAYS. There is a medically accepted chart for fat/carb ratio. Here it is. Again.

1g of fat has 9 calories - 1g/min is 540 calories per hour. That is barely a Zone 1/2 effort (I use 1,000 calories an hour in low Zone 2). You'll need double or triple that for harder rides. Waaaaaay more than that when you're chasing lightweights up hills for 10-15 minute hard efforts. The rest of the energy comes from carbs because they are pretty simple and breakdown really fast.

Fat is a great energy source for recovery/LSD rides. If you want to do more than break a sweat then it's carbs carbs carbs.

Relative-use-of-fat-and-carbohydrate-as-metabolic-fuels-depends-on-exercise.png

2 hours ago, jcza said:

This 👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻

Don't know about any grand tour winners, but Kyle Buckingham won the Africa iron man while on a keto diet.

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

Carnivore diet 🦖

Just too damn expensive in RSA but would love to give it a go for a couple of months

3 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Just too damn expensive in RSA but would love to give it a go for a couple of months

Was just yanking the thread’s chain, man 🤭

12 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Was just yanking the thread’s chain, man 🤭

anecdotally lots of people seem to get success with weight loss from the carnivore diet