The PRO Gravel Thread

'Dale

What a legend….and not too long ago.. I heard Dylan Johnson last year saying..oh there was this guy with KS in a Toyota kit…🤭.

I guess Dylan… got to see what happens when Matt opens a Beer of whip ass!😅

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a performance! What a race… not one European rider on the podium! 😅

IMG_5895.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

A more animated, relaxed and transparent Matt Beers doing the podcast thing. 

33 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

A more animated, relaxed and transparent Matt Beers doing the podcast thing. 

In this pod I found Matt almost too relaxed. He was quite non-chalant about everything he spoke about, like nothing fases him, sort of like the Sagan of old. Almost as if he doesn't care about the outcome of anything. 

Perhaps he's just quietly confident that the training he's done will be more than sufficient and that despite the presence of road elite royalty. 

I am well aware of Matt Beers’ palmares, but Roger Smart & Nico Bell (both riding Unbound 200 Elite) are unknown to me; any one can share some background on these 2?

thanks

23 minutes ago, Zebra said:

I am well aware of Matt Beers’ palmares, but Roger Smart & Nico Bell (both riding Unbound 200 Elite) are unknown to me; any one can share some background on these 2?

thanks

I do not know Roger Smart, but Nico Bell is an ex  SA pro. He has been riding for many years (veteran now) and is the owner of Bells cycling in Nelspruit.

And so Mudbound begins, let’s see who has their nutrients locked in and can ride without any tyre issues. I see Chase is sport the Disc Wheel faring again from HED. Watch this guy, he could podium today!

5 hours ago, betaboy said:

And so Mudbound begins, let’s see who has their nutrients locked in and can ride without any tyre issues. I see Chase is sport the Disc Wheel faring again from HED. Watch this guy, he could podium today!

Jeeeepers

IMG_5332.jpeg

When they showed him jumping across to the front group I thought surely you cannot add “fairings”? Can probably argue it is like a frame bag but then that part that has the seat stays cut out and extending beyond the seat…

If legal, Dylan obviously missed a trick!

1 hour ago, peetwindhoek said:

When they showed him jumping across to the front group I thought surely you cannot add “fairings”? Can probably argue it is like a frame bag but then that part that has the seat stays cut out and extending beyond the seat…

If legal, Dylan obviously missed a trick!

Hydration fairings, he calls them

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7ppLq-uaHE/?img_index=1

Unbound winner, Lachy Morton have back issues and has a saddle set up so far in front that it appears that the saddle may tip over on to the top tube. He gives his mechanic tons of credit who have made tweaks over the last 5 years to his gravel machine. His first Unbound finishing time in 2019 was an hour slower than his victory yesterday. That race also inspired him to design his 'Alternative Calendar' which EF have endorsed and supported so fantastically over the last while.

After Keegan Swenson brought the idea to Rapha, they have innovated their skinsuit to integrate a 2 litre bladder. Consulting and measuring up all their Rapha sponsored athletes, they worked on this design. This bump also boosts aerodynamics. The designers also added pouches for gels and snacks on the sleeves, back and behind of the bibs, allowing for easy access to those vital carbs.

No UCI here. 

It's apparent that, although road racing in the USA is on a sharp decline, the gravel series continues to go up on the growth arc, attracting sponsors and stars alike.

Have the Spirit of Gravel moved you yet? If not, wait for it.

spacer.png

“It really took me up until the last two weeks to come all the way back from doing The Divide. It was a long process of getting myself back up to speed and it was a lot harder than I thought. And to be able to come all the way back, and not just be competitive, but to win UNBOUND. It feels good.” 

-Lachlan Morton

“I just wanted an unscathed equipment day so that I can show off the hard with that I’ve put in…”

Edited by 'Dale

• 1 month later...