The PRO Gravel Thread

'Dale

4 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

I also remember being a sweeper rider at the Race to the sea, In the whatsapp group with organizers etc they were all saying they're expecting the 1st riders to come in just over 5hrs20 or so considering the heat and wind on the day, They were all pretty shocked when Matt rolled in just over 4hr50 for the 160km 2300m course. What was most noticeable though was while some of the top riders in the country used Gravel bikes, Matt rode his MTB and still managed to win by a massive margin which was insane to witness.

Next time @Jewbacca should lend him his BMX ;)

I was a bit shocked when I saw him rock up to a very flat crit race on a very windy day with an aethosĀ šŸ¤£

Edited by Jbr

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Next time @Jewbacca should lend him his BMX ;)

I was a bit shocked when I saw him rock up to a very flat crit race on a very windy day with an aethosĀ šŸ¤£

LOL imagine that, with the length of his legs.

Ā 

And even more so to see him ride away and catch you guys again in the bunch I assume? LOL

3 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

LOL imagine that, with the length of his legs.

Ā 

And even more so to see him ride away and catch you guys again in the bunch I assume? LOL

I skipped that race, it was my first day out of covid quarantine, I was there to take pictures ;)Ā And I was happy not to be in that race since from lap 2 there was no bunch anymore, just a succession of 3/4/5 men groups lapping each otherĀ šŸ¤£

Edited by Jbr

43 minutes ago, Kom said:

Matts pre-BWR interview runs through the setup on his CRUX - how he road a gravel event on 32c Specialized Roubaix tyres (literally road purposed) is another marvel.

I didnt see much of the coveragle, but just how much gravel was involved for BWR?!?

Not sure myself but all the big climbs which I saw from following the Instagram feed was mainly tarred roads & it is still available to view if anyone wants to go watch highlights of the event as it happened.

Ok just found this from their site.

image.png.7d323e2ebb9600d9b1f37e7307e264bd.png

Edited by milky4130
Post Updated

4 hours ago, Knersboy said:

Pete Stetina describing the race start;

ā€Matt Beers, the South African phenom, used his MTB hard-starting skills, and made the climb one of the hardest Vo2 efforts Iā€™ve done all year. But the tactic worked and there were maybe only 30 riders together at the front hitting the early dirt sections. The probability of crashing had drastically reduced and my wrist thanked him even though my lungs cursed him.ā€

This must be it šŸ˜‚

Ā 

Just now, FootballingCyclist said:

Really looks like he's absolutely cruising whilst the guys further back are starting to fight their bikes LOL

Most of the time you only realise how hard he is going when you check which gear heā€™s on šŸ˜‰

2 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

I see Stetina rode a 52/36 Dura Ace crank with 11/34 cassette instead of the 1x which most gravel okes prefer.

most? maybe the cafe cruisers

The racers always appear to be using 2x or the Classified Powershift rear hub. A few of the SRAM guys use 1x but then they run the biggest road cassette. Many of them are using the Powershift rear hub

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

most? maybe the cafe cruisers

The racers always appear to be using 2x or the Classified Powershift rear hub. A few of the SRAM guys use 1x but then they run the biggest road cassette. Many of them are using the Powershift rear hub

If I was a sram rider Iā€™d avoid 2x at all cost šŸ¤£

• 2 weeks later...

Gravel Locos today for Matt but sadly looks like he DNFā€™d, anyone else that heard or saw anything that can confirm or knows what happened?

9 hours ago, milky4130 said:

Gravel Locos today for Matt but sadly looks like he DNFā€™d, anyone else that heard or saw anything that can confirm or knows what happened?

On strava it shows that he crashed. Not sure about the details

looks like he experienced a tragedy during his trip. Appears he contact on that side lost her life. Not sure of details but is Matt ok? Anyone in contact with him?