Should e-bikes be allowed in Cycle Tour and other Races

Ravenhash

15 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

A gent did that along Chappies as well .... everybody working away hard .... next moment he got out the saddle and BLASTED forward.  As we came around the bend he was waiting camera in hand to take pics of his wife. :P

I did it twice there too. Was said person on a blue gravel bike👀

but i think you would have been way ahead of us at that point since you started just behind us.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we had a few laughs when struggling up hill and an e- bike came flying past ... good for them...

what was unbelievable  was the person hitching a ride with an e-bike - no not drafting - actually holding on to the e-bike guys shirt and going down the M3... were not going to win anything or affect my prize money in 2D - but wow not sure what the point of that was...

Edited by DrRichard

21 minutes ago, Nick said:

Did all who doped piss in a tube at the end?

What's the solution for these types? Stricter checking? Complete ban? Are ebike numbers different? Maybe a further self-checking by riders on route reporting those incorrectly classified.

Is it significant problem that needs addressing? Did it even occur? If so, was it meaningful to anyone else's ride?

Or should we just laugh at their pettiness and move on? I'm going with this one.

Doesn’t affect me so I don’t spend too much emotional energy on it. 
but there’s a ruling in the matter and that should be respected because it’s not a stupid ruling. It’s practical , legal in terms of the road traffic act and allows the ctct to maintain its ethos of being a celebration of human powered transport. 
everyone should be welcome just keep the chipped bikes out.

let me repeat , keep the chipped bikes away from racing pedal powered bikes

keep the chipped bikes away from racing pedal powered bikes

21 minutes ago, MORNE said:

I did it twice there too. Was said person on a blue gravel bike👀

but i think you would have been way ahead of us at that point since you started just behind us.

He had a "boom box" on his bike ....  I may have photos of him, need to check.

Did you pass "Henry" in his pull-cart at the start of Chappies ?  If so, then we were there at the same time.

1 hour ago, karma said:

so...did everyones egos survive yesterday being passed by e-bikes? 

No ebikes ‘passed’ me? 
they were in their own lane doing their own ride against all the other e-bike riders. Same way I was also not offended when the camera motorbike had to make its way though the field every no and then haha😜

Interesting looking at the numbers of eBike finishers.

109km normal 2631 women. 17,48% of field. ( I also added pro ladies)

109km ebikes: 119 women. 35,73% of the field. 

I think 3:50 is a good bench mark. Thats just a little slower than my 66 year old mother can do, so it about right. 

Although, the eBikes are much more fair weather riders. only 333 this year compared to the 707 in October. compared to the 15448 finishers now vs 11848 in October. 

18 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

I am not sure if they just did not post the eBikes times lower than 3:50 but wow there was some fine lines for that top spot!!

That's quite a high risk/reward ratio! Do you go for the win to 3:50:01 and risk being banned or do you bank on a podium/top 10 at 3:50:05??

1 hour ago, Pure Savage said:

Although, the eBikes are much more fair weather riders. only 333 this year compared to the 707 in October. compared to the 15448 finishers now vs 11848 in October. 

I suspect you're right but it'd be interesting to see the DSQ list. I don't think they had the time rule for 2021 or they didn't apply it as strictly.

UPDATE: There were only around 40 e-bike registered riders who rode sub 3:50 in 2021.

Good to see the normies proving that they're still hard 😉

1 hour ago, Nick said:

I suspect you're right but it'd be interesting to see the DQS list. I don't think they had the time rule for 2021 or they didn't apply it as strictly.

UPDATE: There were only around 40 e-bike registered riders who rode sub 3:50 in 2021.

Good to see the normies proving that they're still hard 😉

Apparently the DSQ eBike list is still a few...

20 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Seeing the "hatred" in riders eyes up Suikerbossie when I passed them .... OUCH !!!  

I happen to support eBikes,  but the pain of Suikebossie made me hate you for a minute or two. This also extended to anyonewho had just trained properly and keep something in the bank for suikerbossie,  but it wore off quickly and we are all good again 😉 

Edited by Milosh
spelling

Quick scan shows the following for the e-bikers having done the Argus 2022 -

e.JPG.8a1a60ddcabd3bc41814bd42bad216ec.JPG

This is based on the finishers stats.  No idea of how "entry stats" compares with the race finishers stats.

PS - this excludes those under 3:50 ....  I see a couple cut it VERY close ....

333 finishers out of the 15 000 odd finishers .... barely 2%

Also a good few ebikes that only just scraped in under the cut-off time ..... dragging a heavy bike back without a battery ?

I have done enough training rides to KNOW what I can get out of a battery, distance AND elevation dependent ..... seems some did not do their homework.

1 hour ago, Milosh said:

I happen to support eBikes,  but the pain of Suikebossie made me hate you for a minute or two. This also extended to anyonewho had just trained properly and keep something in the bank for suikerbossie,  but it wore off quickly and we are all good again 😉 

You might recall Jeremy Clarckson on his statements about "foreign labour" hating on the wealthy .... I now KNOW what that look looks like .....

But you are 100% correct, by the end everybody was full of smiles, and greeting and congratulating, irrespective of the bike. :thumbup:  

5 hours ago, Milosh said:

I know what you mean. I always look on in amazement when an ebike just cruises up a steep hill. But the exhilaration of conquering that hill under your own power cannot be beaten!!

Exhibit A

3h04 - cant say for sure, but looks like a battery I see there.

image.png.1c205bf30d5798a22e351164e24cb6fd.png

Exhibit B

3h09

A little more obvious looking

image.png.fb0f74375297c11b3682c9d998218541.png

I dont know my bikes that well, but both appear to have batteries to me.

1 minute ago, ouzo said:

Exhibit A

3h04 - cant say for sure, but looks like a battery I see there.

image.png.1c205bf30d5798a22e351164e24cb6fd.png

Exhibit B

3h09

A little more obvious looking

image.png.fb0f74375297c11b3682c9d998218541.png

I dont know my bikes that well, but both appear to have batteries to me.

Both those riders look decently fit.