Cyclingnews website limited access….thanks future group

SwissVan

RANT ON:

As a long term cyclingnews reader I’m somewhat dismayed and disappointed that they (cycling news are part of Future group) are now pushing readers to pay (subscribe) to read news articles, in particular race news. 

$79 per year or $7.99 per month, *Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription, † after your trial you will be billed £4.99 $7.99 €5.99 per month, cancel anytime. Or sign up for one year for just £49 $79 €59

Interested to know how many cyclingnews readers from the bikehub will be prepared to take up this “offer”

Count me out

3E26FEAE-A442-4E27-885E-C1A96E98823A.png

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since about 1998 it's been the site I have opened first most days.

I think I am ready to move on, in part because I dont like paying for stuff on the internet, but more that the articles offer no real insight and their galleries are still stuck in 1998.

Cyclingtips has also gone paywall, but at least the quality of the imagery and depth of the journalism is worth considering paying for.

On a similar note I see Steephill.tv is pretty much closing for the same reason.

Been peeved about this too, but will happily argue both sides. We all like free stuff, but somewhere along the line, it has to be paid for. No free lunches and all that. still, have a negative buzz towards cyclingnews though

7 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

Been peeved about this too, but will happily argue both sides. We all like free stuff, but somewhere along the line, it has to be paid for. No free lunches and all that. still, have a negative buzz towards cyclingnews though

I always thought that these kinds of websites were paid for by all the advertising.

14 minutes ago, tubed said:

Since about 1998 it's been the site I have opened first most days.

I think I am ready to move on, in part because I dont like paying for stuff on the internet, but more that the articles offer no real insight and their galleries are still stuck in 1998.

Cyclingtips has also gone paywall, but at least the quality of the imagery and depth of the journalism is worth considering paying for.

On a similar note I see Steephill.tv is pretty much closing for the same reason.

I feel the same
Cyclingnews has been a daily visit for many years, but not worth paying for going forward.
I will also consider paying for Cyclingtips. Their content is fantastic.
But paying dollars/Euros can get heavy, so need to limit that because I am also considering GCN+ due to lack of DSTV.
I think that Steephill has already closed, which is a great pity.

(If you clear your cookies and browsing history, you can access these limited websites again. But that's a hack)

8 minutes ago, splat said:

I always thought that these kinds of websites were paid for by all the advertising.

true, but so is Facebook, and that isn't everyone's favourite. I do have a few subscription online, but none for news. Doubt I ever will. Perhaps I live under a stone? This possibility hasn't escaped me

Same here - deeply and utterly annoyed - it is the same as Netwerk24 App - the app is riddled with ads - yet if you want to use you still pay - and still get hundreds of annoying ads! 

I will not pay for cyclingnews - sorry! 

cycling weekly just did the same. I'd rather pay that exact money for GCN+ and watch the races so I don't have to read :)

I dont mind to pay for a service if it takes the adds out.  cause then it makes sense.  BUT DSTV which is pay TV by definition is also advertising now like crazy.  But i hope this add crazy commodity nightmare will oneday end.  all i wish for is show me a different add, if i havnt bought or clicked on the same add for the last 4 months, then please show me something different,  im tired of unsold SUV's in durbanville or 40+ singles waiting for you.  ive done that now please move to the next.

2 minutes ago, UnclePolli said:

I dont mind to pay for a service if it takes the adds out.  cause then it makes sense.  BUT DSTV which is pay TV by definition is also advertising now like crazy.  But i hope this add crazy commodity nightmare will oneday end.  all i wish for is show me a different add, if i havnt bought or clicked on the same add for the last 4 months, then please show me something different,  im tired of unsold SUV's in durbanville or 40+ singles waiting for you.  ive done that now please move to the next.

you're obviously searching for hot moms in suvs, hence the ads. :)

I thought it was just me being a cheapskate and note wanting to pay for something that used to be free, so glad I'm not alone.

I got the feeling (much the same as News24) that for some time now if you read the headline on Cyclingnews, that the article wouldn't really add much extra, when I read the articles there was rarely any real insight. I guess that's largely as a result of the saturated live TV coverage of events, that after the event The Cyclingnews reporters are just rehashing what we all watched.

Features such as tech galleries after the event I do find interesting as TV cannot get that close to the detail, but there Cyclingnews never kept pace with their imagery found elsewhere on the net.

Ironically the forums on Cyclingnews are often the best place to find the detail that the articles are missing and the forums are not behind a paywall.

Bottom line for me - I dont think Cyclingnews is worth paying for - they will need to provide something of value.

1 hour ago, Nakoota said:

cycling weekly just did the same. I'd rather pay that exact money for GCN+ and watch the races so I don't have to read :)

best money I've spent and after a few months of moaning my family got used to no dstv and we've adapted to netflix  - I have alos found that as a family we now watch less TV which is great.  I however will now watch any cycling race

Saving money, less screen time and loads of cycling to watch keeping me from overtraining 🤣 - win win win