Groove Tool Pro by Ryder Innovation wins Eurobike Innovators Prize

News bot

11 minutes ago, TheoG said:

This is indeed a very neat tool also.  I like the Groove Tool design though, personal preference I guess ...

The ratchet feature is nice and also that the body doubles as a lever and hence you will have some control over the torque applied.

All good. 

Splat's feedback however doesn't make me very confident. Imagine dropping the chain breaker on the trail because it is loose in the holder.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate. I have the full OneUP EDC system so I won't be buying this. Still a cool tool though. 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/21/2022 at 3:50 PM, splat said:

The bike mount thingy is a bit useless because the groove or slot that the cradle has doesn't actually clip in, so it just slides off again.
And then the tool itself isn't particularly secure in the cradle. I don't think it would take much to launch the tool into another dimension (as an interstellar suppository) on a bumpy section.
That's all fine for me as I wasn't planning on keeping it on the bike anyway.

The chain breaker is tiny!
It also keep falling out of the hole it goes into, so you have to keep it in place with your finger.
Its 'driven' by a T10 bit, which also feels tiny.

You have to choose which bits you carry, as not all the supplied bits fit inside the tool.
The magnets that hold them all in place are not very strong, so you have to be careful. 

I say all of this bearing in mind that this is a compact item with quite a few tools crammed in. There has to be some compromise somewhere....
I hope that it isn't in the actual functionality of the tool.image.png.95c39cf64aec26716a7156eba4ae4ec1.png

The T15 is actually for the chainbreaker - on the other side of the screwdriver.

And once the tool is in the cradle, it is a lot more secure. I wouldn't go mount it upside down, but  under the TT should be OK.  Even on the shock body could work, or inside of ST or back of ST. You have to twist (rotate) it a few degrees before sliding out the tool to the top of the cradle thing.

I've used the chainbreaker and it works well. Yes it is small - but space is extremely limited, so horses for courses. Just check - there should be magnets that keeps it in, on mine the chainlink magnets keeps it in place.

So far pretty happy with mine.

11 minutes ago, nox1111 said:

The T15 is actually for the chainbreaker - on the other side of the screwdriver.

And once the tool is in the cradle, it is a lot more secure. I wouldn't go mount it upside down, but  under the TT should be OK.  Even on the shock body could work, or inside of ST or back of ST. You have to twist (rotate) it a few degrees before sliding out the tool to the top of the cradle thing.

I've used the chainbreaker and it works well. Yes it is small - but space is extremely limited, so horses for courses. Just check - there should be magnets that keeps it in, on mine the chainlink magnets keeps it in place.

So far pretty happy with mine.

its not the cradle holding the actual tool thing that is a bit sloppy...although that could be better too imo...like a friction fit, but the "slidey-ini-bit"/iceskate looking thing that goes onto the thing that takes the velcro. Why that needed to be two parts only they will know. Pointless imo. Mine is also very 'loose, almost as if it is missing a security 'click' that last 2mm. It just slides in loosely and comes out just as easily without any real effort. Maybe myself and @splat both got duds from the same batch or something. I could probably improve it by tinkering a bit, but for now it goes in my bag.

Edited by MORNE

5 minutes ago, MORNE said:

its not the cradle holding the actual tool thing that is a bit sloppy...although that could be better too imo...like a friction fit, but the "slidey-ini-bit"/iceskate looking thing that goes onto the thing that takes the velcro. Why that needed to be two parts only they will know. Pointless imo. Mine is also very 'loose, almost as if it is missing a security 'click' that last 2mm. It just slides in loosely and comes out just as easily without any real effort. Maybe myself and @splat both got duds from the same batch or something. I could probably improve it by tinkering a bit, but for now it goes in my bag.

If mine is also shitty, I'm gonna glue them together.  Can still take the tool out and also remove completely with the strap.

8 minutes ago, MORNE said:

It may be part of their "swop out" approach ....

They have the dual slider bracket that bolts to the bike, now you can choose which bombs or tools or whatever you want to carry on your bike.

It works okay on my roadbike .... But I dont trust those sliders for the trails we ride.

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

They have the dual slider bracket that bolts to the bike, now you can choose which bombs or tools or whatever you want to carry on your bike.

It works okay on my roadbike .... But I dont trust those sliders for the trails we ride.

oh. makes sense then i guess.

5 minutes ago, TheoG said:

If mine is also shitty, I'm gonna glue them together.  Can still take the tool out and also remove completely with the strap.

will be doing this as well. Q-bond pappie 🤪

5 hours ago, ChrisF said:

I have been using the 4upSlyder carrying a 25gr CO2 cartridge, a 16gr Co2 cartridge, a Slugplug and tyre levers and none of the kit has ever ejected fro the Slyder. Same with the 2up on my road bike. The holders are very snug once the tool or bomb is in the holder on the Slyder. When I fiddled with the prototype Groove pro the same was true for the plastic holder on the velcro strap fitting. I'm still moaning for a Slyder holder but I think the current holder does fit on the Slyder mount. I haven't tried this yet as I haven't taken delivery of my own unit. 

7 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I have been using the 4upSlyder carrying a 25gr CO2 cartridge, a 16gr Co2 cartridge, a Slugplug and tyre levers and none of the kit has ever ejected fro the Slyder. Same with the 2up on my road bike. The holders are very snug once the tool or bomb is in the holder on the Slyder. When I fiddled with the prototype Groove pro the same was true for the plastic holder on the velcro strap fitting. I'm still moaning for a Slyder holder but I think the current holder does fit on the Slyder mount. I haven't tried this yet as I haven't taken delivery of my own unit. 

Would have been nice if the slider had the option for a velcro strap.

Uhmmmm .... must check if a cable tie along the length of the slider can lock in the holder ....

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Would have been nice if the slider had the option for a velcro strap.

Uhmmmm .... must check if a cable tie along the length of the slider can lock in the holder ....

Not sure what you mean?

do you mean the slyder should have a carrier with a Velcro strap? The Kinetic cage comes with those fittings and mounts to the bottle cage bosses.

or do you mean the groove tool holder should have a Velcro strap to hold the grove tool? That’s easy to solve yourself

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Not sure what you mean?

do you mean the slyder should have a carrier with a Velcro strap? The Kinetic cage comes with those fittings and mounts to the bottle cage bosses.

or do you mean the groove tool holder should have a Velcro strap to hold the grove tool? That’s easy to solve yourself

Bit of both ....

The bombs are secure in their holders.  But I am not confident in how the holder sits in the bracket that is attached to the frame.

Looking at ways to make sure the holder can slide out of the frame-bracket.

As for the Groove tool - this has a velcro strap to keep it attached to its holder.

16 hours ago, ChrisF said:

For the roadbike this work nicely ....

Screenshot_20220922-165755_Gallery.jpg.0ab6de3caf568cf5dc5956923c0f6d7a.jpg

Bomb on one side, tool on the other.

But even this set slides EASILY !!!!  WAY too easy for trail use.

Maybe i have an older version, but I have this mounted to my mountain bike with a bomb on one side and slug plug on the other and never had an issue with the items coming loose

Finally got mine this morning, very neat !!!

And yes that attempt "clip" is pathetic, simply going to glue it.  Somewhere between the design intent and the execution something obviously went wrong.  Can for sure not rely on it, as is, to keep it from getting lost on the trail.

Rest of the product look pretty solid.

Edited by TheoG