Q&A with Luke Moir

News bot

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Thanks for all the feedback on this. 

As some have noted this is a sponsored piece, it should have been more clearly labelled as such. That's on us at Bike Hub. We'll do better going forward.

It's awesome that a brand like Thule is putting money and marketing behind a SA rider like Luke. 
Not doubt some lessons here in delving a bit deeper for content like this, even if it's marketing.

BUT... it's clear there's interest and an opportunity to learn more about the rider, Luke. 

So I'd like to propose that we do a follow up (purely editorial) interview to learn more about Luke Moir as a rider. 

We'll put together some questions and see what we can line up with Luke & his management... most likely after Worlds.

In the spirit of a community driven AMA style interview... what questions do YOU want answered?

I have asked this for Louis Meintjes after the Tour, nothing.

Asked for bike checks from epic, nothing.

I am definitely no longer Bikehub target market. 

2 minutes ago, DJuice said:

I have asked this for Louis Meintjes after the Tour, nothing.

Asked for bike checks from epic, nothing.

I am definitely no longer Bikehub target market. 

In 2020 we pulled back almost completely on any original content generation. We loved creating content, but from a business perspective it was necessary at the time.

As we stand we have no one on the team in a content role or with capacity to manage or create the stuff you mention at any meaningful scale. We’re looking at options to address that.

2 positives can come from this:

1 - If this was just about Thule advertising their products, they have won. As everyone here is mentioning that this is all that was noted in the interview.

2 - If not, then his agent can help guide him in media relations on how to conduct interviews in a public friendly manner and not have the reaction he has had here.

2 wins out of 1 interview. 

On 8/26/2022 at 9:38 AM, Matt said:

As some have noted this is a sponsored piece, it should have been more clearly labelled as such. That's on us at Bike Hub. We'll do better going forward.

It's awesome that a brand like Thule is putting money and marketing behind a SA rider like Luke. 
Not doubt some lessons here in delving a bit deeper for content like this, even if it's marketing.

BUT... it's clear there's interest and an opportunity to learn more about the rider, Luke. 

So I'd like to propose that we do a follow up (purely editorial) interview to learn more about Luke Moir as a rider. 

We'll put together some questions and see what we can line up with Luke & his management... most likely after Worlds.

In the spirit of a community driven AMA style interview... what questions do YOU want answered?

1) Hi Luke, you're fresh out of school and have been racing the jnr categories for quite some time. Do you advise the jnr's and their parents on the the sacrifices you and your parents have made and then how you've managed this through your schooling and racing careers.

2) You were ranked the #1 Jnr in 2020. We appreciate that everyone is different but can you give and over view of how you'd structure your Year to build, prep peak and recover from your main objectives for the year?

3) You're sponsored by Trek and SRAM, tell us a little about your bike and how you go about setting it up for a race course. is it just a squeeze the tyre push the forks ja dis aw-rite sort of set up or do you apply a bit of science and tools like Shoxwiz, tyrewiz or other technologies to arrive at your fork set up and tyre pressures. <followed by a couple of requests to expand on interesting points>

4) When you win the XCO world championships, what colour are you painting your bike?

5) We've seen you evolve from the lose t-shirt and baggies to more tradional snug fitting bibs and tops. Is this for aero reasons ? How important do you think it is < in light of all the Evades we see crawling up Vasbyt at 5km/hr>

6) What does the next year look for you? Any stage races in the plan?

7) Do you think its better to be based in Europe April through September to get more racing in at the Euro level or do you see training merit in coming home to train and flying out to races as they come up?

8 ) You'll still be U23 when the Paris Olympics comes around in 2024. Will you target a spot on the SA MTB team or do you think it be beneficial to wait till the 2028 games?

7 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

2 positives can come from this:

1 - If this was just about Thule advertising their products, they have won. As everyone here is mentioning that this is all that was noted in the interview.

2 - If not, then his agent can help guide him in media relations on how to conduct interviews in a public friendly manner and not have the reaction he has had here.

2 wins out of 1 interview. 

Fully agreed although I don't think any responses here are direct at Luke but rather at Thule and the interviewer. I don't think long winded answers are in Luke's DNA so a bit of coaching to be more expansive would certainly help.

However first lesson in interviewing, get everybody comfortable.

Second lesson, understand the subject being interviewed. If answers are not expansive enough ask questions that lead the conversation. Clearly this was not the objective of the interviewer. The Interviewee was merely being exceptionally economical with words :)

On 8/26/2022 at 2:25 PM, lukelockie said:

Question 1: Where do you get your haircut?

In my bathroom, I do it myself. I thought this was obvious. 

On 8/26/2022 at 2:48 PM, Matt said:

In 2020 we pulled back almost completely on any original content generation. We loved creating content, but from a business perspective it was necessary at the time.

As we stand we have no one on the team in a content role or with capacity to manage or create the stuff you mention at any meaningful scale. We’re looking at options to address that.

Let me do it I have a LOT of time on my hands 

On 8/26/2022 at 9:38 AM, Matt said:

I wanna hear about the the pros and cons of being a local SA "pro" mtber.

I wanna hear about the local marathon scene focus, and if we should have more XC events to develop skills/riders rather than just brute force endurance. 

I wanna know if it really is money for nothing and chicks for free.

On 8/26/2022 at 2:48 PM, Matt said:

This.

Creating a consistent content stream requires investment. The work itself is a profession that requires commitment. This all needs to be paid for somehow to ensure it’s viable.

Challenging, because a culture of entitlement has developed over the years towards so-called ‘free’ content.