Apple launches new Apple Watch Ultra

Matt

Any takers or early thoughts?

As an Apple fan with a Garmin Fenix on my wrist it's interesting, but not sure I'm convinced just yet. The Garmin just works and something about the more basic nature of it (no fancy colour screen and smart apps, etc) just appeals.

• 36 hour battery life, up to 60 with a new battery saver mode
  • Action button
  • Better GPS accuracy
  • Brighter, bigger screen
  • From $799, ZAR?????

https://www.apple.com/apple-watch-ultra/

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Matt said:

As an Apple fan with a Garmin Fenix on my wrist it's interesting, but not sure I'm convinced just yet. The Garmin just works and something about the more basic nature of it (no fancy colour screen and smart apps, etc) just appeals.

• Action button
  • Better GPS accuracy
  • From $799, ZAR?????

I was waiting for tonights presentation, expected this apple watch rugged / pro, but I must admit that the presentation did not convince me. Twice the price for a button and a few more hours of battery… Might just go for the series 8 in the end, as the series 7 was already tested by cyclists and proven equal if not better at tracking HR and gps coordinates than Garmin devices.

For the new airpods pro, I wasn’t planning on upgrading my current ones, but the new features really are convincing ! I think my wife will inherit my previous pair and I’ll order the new ones as soon as they are available !

Edited by Jbr

Just sold my Apple watch to go back to a Fenix. The Apple watches are great day to day, but just a bit too dainty for exercise - the Ultra doesn't look much better to me. The displays are what makes them great and horrible (same applies to Garmin Epix). It is awesome to use, but that short battery life just does it in.

15 hours ago, Matt said:

• Action button
  • Better GPS accuracy
  • From $799, ZAR?????

I've ordered one for delivery 23 September. I have the benefit of staff discount so thought it was worth a try. Looks like a massive step into the serious sports watch market and I am looking forward to trying it out. I do have the benefit of staff discount so am not paying full price, but I'm keen to try it out. Compared to the Fenix 7, it's financially a no brainer, although doesn't have the same battery life. 

38 minutes ago, BigDL said:

I've ordered one for delivery 23 September. I have the benefit of staff discount so thought it was worth a try. Looks like a massive step into the serious sports watch market and I am looking forward to trying it out. I do have the benefit of staff discount so am not paying full price, but I'm keen to try it out. Compared to the Fenix 7, it's financially a no brainer, although doesn't have the same battery life. 

I've seen youtube videos of people wearing the watch and all, I must say it looks a lot better in those video than in Apples presentation 🤣 I still don't really care for most of the differences between ultra and s8 except for the double battery life...

12 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I've seen youtube videos of people wearing the watch and all, I must say it looks a lot better in those video than in Apples presentation 🤣 I still don't really care for most of the differences between ultra and s8 except for the double battery life...

Depends what you want to get out of it I suppose. The dual band GPS, the incredibly tough and chunky build, the buttons, the multi-sport options, the dive computer, the dive watch style straps and the longer battery life all appeal to me, none of which are available on the standard 8. Having said that, I hardly find time to ride my bike at the moment, let alone go on epic adventures. 

Edited by BigDL

Definitely a step in the right direction.. I think if it's one company that has the budget and development to compete with Garmin, its Apple. Most iphone users I know, who take fitness seriously, tend to have a Garmin on their wrist, hence I can see why Apple would tap more into the fitness watch market.

I'm interested to see how mapping against a course will look like on it.

The diving computer capabilities are a real game changer for some folk I'd imagine.

Edited by NeverNotRolling

6 minutes ago, NeverNotRolling said:

Definitely a step in the right direction.. I think if it's one company that has the budget and development to compete with Garmin, its Apple. Most iphone users I know, who take fitness seriously, tend to have a Garmin on their wrist, hence I can see why Apple would tap more into the fitness watch market.

I'm interested to see how mapping against a course will look like on it.

The diving computer capabilities are a real game changer for some folk I'd imagine.

In the UK you get a two week no questions asked returns policy on Apple products, so I'm keen to wear the watch for a week or so and see what it feels like. You also have a couple of weeks to send in your old watch for trade-in so, worst case, I can just return the new watch and keep the old one. 

5 minutes ago, BigDL said:

In the UK you get a two week no questions asked returns policy on Apple products, so I'm keen to wear the watch for a week or so and see what it feels like. You also have a couple of weeks to send in your old watch for trade-in so, worst case, I can just return the new watch and keep the old one. 

That's awesome, I see a lot of Garmin users in the U.S doing that as well. Jealous.

Give us pics and thoughts when its on your wrist please :)

Edited by NeverNotRolling

15 minutes ago, NeverNotRolling said:

That's awesome, I see a lot of Garmin users in the U.S doing that as well. Jealous.

Give us pics and thoughts when its on your wrist please :)

You can do it with takealot, I bought a garmin watch, after a week I sent it back and got an upgraded one instead.

A source that can always be trusted when it comes to these questions, dcrainmaker:

”Obviously, this is just the start of Apple’s interest in deeper outdoors-focused sport adventures, so they have to start somewhere on that massive list, and Apple Watch Ultra seems well poised to begin that journey. Stay tuned for a full in-depth review down the road!”

Why be an Apple guinea pig when you can use a Garmin would be my summary. I will definitely wait for people to give this watch a thorough review after long term testing. 

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/09/apple-watch-ultra-hands-on-everything-you-need-to-know.html/amp