Beware Bikemarket.co.za: Selling Bikes with Plugs as Permanent

me100

10 hours ago, Gr3mlin131 said:

They do have a "ready to ride guarantee", so would hav also been a bit pissed if the tyre is leaking. But also to be fair, their checklist does not include checking tyres 🤔

image.png.4951c77441e830f439dc1534bd4f3062.png

I recently bought from them but Let me tell you I checked the hell out of the bike and even made them topup the sealent while were doing the transaction 

....btw I just noticed on of the tyres on the bike in question has A plug .....couldn't be bothered 

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OP does not say the plug is leaking just not holding air. May he got a puncture on one of his three rides maybe invest in some plugs and fix it.

Edited by Barry

I'd be disappointed until I replaced the plug and carried on riding. The OP's post is OTT. As others have said, plugs can last the life of a tyre, ask my car and bikes.

2 hours ago, Quagga said:

What Hairy said

OP came out saying plugs are temp measure wich is nonsense

on a road tubeless tire yes.  best to replace, but on MTB as long as it does squirt gooi mielies with the plug.  never ever replaced a mtb tyre that was plugged.  The seller could have indicated to OP that the front tire was plugged though before hand.

45 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I'd be disappointed until I replaced the plug and carried on riding. The OP's post is OTT. As others have said, plugs can last the life of a tyre, ask my car and bikes.

A while back I used a mtb plug and Ryder sealant to plug my rear tyre of my BMW F800 GS 

Eventually was a Sunday afternoon emergency solution, as I needed the bike for commuting the following Monday.

After a week I saw the tire is still 100% inflated  and continued using it  till it was time to replace the tyre due to wear.

It kept air 110% till the end 😎

1 hour ago, porqui said:

Hold it - hold it - hold it !!!!

If I bought a bike from anyone and the tyre starts to leak after just three rides because of a plug that has not seated properly I would also be pissed off and expect the seller to do something about it.

You buy a bike in good faith that it is in good working order and this bike was not albeit that it is just a tyre but bicycle tyres ARE expensive. Tyre with plug in = discount for sure.

Give the guy a break

No. 

OP bought the bike late July. It’s now nearly October. With only three rides, which means the bike was standing. 

Sealant dries out. Tyres lose pressure.

4 hours ago, 117 said:

Wait - hang on. Where do you take your husky ride on to get punctures? 

And while we're at it, show us a peecha of the tool kit you carry on the mower for emergency tyre plug repairs

Porcupine quill and I actually but with difficulty repaired it with my snug plug 

22 hours ago, steve-h said:

A word of warning to all bikehubbers thinking of buying a bike from bikemarket.co.za - especially if you are buying online.

I bought a Merida Ninety-six 800 bike from them late July 2022 online. Everything looked good from the pics and description. The salesperson Gavin mentioned that he had checked it and the bike was all good.

They delivered the bike to me and I took it for a ride and was satisfied.

After my 3rd ride I noticed the front tyre not holding air. I inspected it and noticed there was a plug in the tread (attached).

It is well known in the community that MTB tubeless plugs are a temporary, get you home fix and this kind of repair shouldn’t be seen as a permanent fix.

I emailed bikemarket:

The response from Gavin of bikemarket:

I gave them until the end of this month to take corrective action - which they have failed to do thus far. That is why I am letting everyone know of this poor business practice of bikemarket.co.za.

A new Maxxis Ardent tyre costs just R800 from Cyclelab and they could have fixed the issue but they have shown their stubbornness.

To lose a customer for life and potentially many from bikehub over R800 when they are clearly in the wrong is just disappointing.

Shows that companies that look good from the shop can treat online buyers very badly and take advantage of them.

I would say avoid bikemarket especially if buying online. Rather buy from a reptutable seller here on bikehub or buy new.

merida-bikemarket-plug.JPG

It just dawned on me.

Are you 100% certain that it is the plug that is leaking air?

Did you inflate the tyre and test for leaks with a nice soapy water solution, or go old school by inflating the tyre and then placing the offending tyre plug under the water to look for a leak.

If not, you just fired off a salvo a without checking if your cannons are actually loaded.

37 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

No. 

OP bought the bike late July. It’s now nearly October. With only three rides, which means the bike was standing. 

Sealant dries out. Tyres lose pressure.

Sealant does last about 3 months or so, this means that is likely completely dry. OP must replace the sealant and then check to see if that fixes it. If not, put in a mushroom plug if it is leaking by the plug that is currently in there and then check again. If it is still leaking than like Hairy said, brush a sunlight and water solution on the wheel and look for bubbles. Oh and please don't tell me that the tire just needs to be seated and that was what was causing it.

21 minutes ago, TheoG said:

OK guys, I think the point was made load and clear.  Shame, we completely scared the OP from responding to posts at all ...

nah, I reckon he just doesn't come here much. He hasn't logged in since dropping this dogturd on the stoep and then ringing the bell. Spent all the time creating post, adding in quotes, links and a picture. Felt satisfied with a sunday afternoon snooze and that was that.

Maybe I'm wrong and there's offline haggling because he actually thinks he has a case and this thread was his threat to "TAKE IT TO SOCIAL MEDIA"

I'm surprised @BikeMarketcoza

has been tjoepstil. maybe they are blissfully unaware.

23 hours ago, steve-h said:

A word of warning to all bikehubbers thinking of buying a bike from bikemarket.co.za - especially if you are buying online.

I bought a Merida Ninety-six 800 bike from them late July 2022 online. Everything looked good from the pics and description. The salesperson Gavin mentioned that he had checked it and the bike was all good.

They delivered the bike to me and I took it for a ride and was satisfied.

After my 3rd ride I noticed the front tyre not holding air. I inspected it and noticed there was a plug in the tread (attached).

It is well known in the community that MTB tubeless plugs are a temporary, get you home fix and this kind of repair shouldn’t be seen as a permanent fix.

I emailed bikemarket:

The response from Gavin of bikemarket:

I gave them until the end of this month to take corrective action - which they have failed to do thus far. That is why I am letting everyone know of this poor business practice of bikemarket.co.za.

A new Maxxis Ardent tyre costs just R800 from Cyclelab and they could have fixed the issue but they have shown their stubbornness.

To lose a customer for life and potentially many from bikehub over R800 when they are clearly in the wrong is just disappointing.

Shows that companies that look good from the shop can treat online buyers very badly and take advantage of them.

I would say avoid bikemarket especially if buying online. Rather buy from a reptutable seller here on bikehub or buy new.

merida-bikemarket-plug.JPG

Plug is a permanent fix, not a "get me home" solution as far as I'm concerned