Tygerberg MTB club newsletter - unacceptable

MORNE

7 hours ago, Eddy Gordo said:

I must have seen you there at some point. I love that place especially in those very hot days when all one wants is to just send it a bit instead of a long slog to the top of a hill.

Probably, every time I'm there it's usually the same faces from last time. I suppose we should start introductions next time we're there 😁. real name, hub name etc.

I'm the round oke on the grey Camber with the red pedals and noisy red hubs.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read the whole thread and the level of vitriol against Patrick across the 2 pages I've read so far is surprising to me.

It is clear to me from the newsletter in question that the PK is tongue in cheek and expresses a frustration at having to repair and re-repair trails - I think he's expressed similar feelings towards the cows too.

I can tell you though that I have personal experience of walking a mate with broken bones out of hoogies and being picked up by Patrick in his bakkie and and helped back to the car park at conties so I could take him to hospital and I have access to 190 off kms of well maintained trails for which I'm grateful.

IS the community of mountain bikers really so fragile that a clearly humorous threat of a PK means that we have to object so strenuously and denigrate the trail maintenance and the newsletter ....

Yussis - I'd really rather be threatened with a jocular PK than deal with all this righteous indignation.

Disclaimer- I don't know PAtrick and the mentioned incident is the only interaction I've had with him.

On 10/11/2022 at 2:06 PM, Max Headroom said:

Hang on a minute - increase fees ?

The continuous annual increase in membership fees has already become automatic, apparently without consideration of why the club exists, member expectations, thoughtful communication.

Re the Newsletter,

rather that moaning about rain and drought and brakes, in unacceptable language;  I would rather see more contributions from other committee members on  subjects such as noted below - (and by the way, don't think you will get much by going to an AGM)

Give us all the latest on the trails, yes, - but also consider other subject and club intentions that members should know about :

Consider that (2021) - R240,000 given away as donations. (probably to a good cause right !)

But, I already have enough stop-orders and donations to various charities and needy charities and societies that I have chosen to support.

It drives me nuts when every Cycle/Mtb event entry, club membership PPA CSA etc etc continuously increases fees and then gives it to whatever charities they like. Yes, 240,000 is very little when divided by the number of members - ..so what.... I don't join clubs or events for charities. I have already chosen charities I want to support privately. I would like to pay for a club or event that gives me what I came for - and keeps costs and member-fee etc. down.

Some other interesting stats that could be covered in Newsletter :

Where does the money go ? example R 900,000 spent on salaries, R900,000 on trail maintenance -excluding R 50,000 vehicle cost, tools etc., Not sure how that is comprised - i.e what does trail maintenance include (also some of the salaries and wages ?)

R22,000 on meetings (and R 36,000 clubhouse rent - where is the clubhouse - on Bloemendal ? where (according to the newsletter) the trail building teams spend a lot of time. How have the benefits to the Bloemendal owners (increase in visitors, wine restaurant etc) been weighed into our interest and costs ?

R 220,000 on bank charges etc. (Bank balance R 3,5m and R 1,7 m accumulated surplus ) 

Tell us about these things - (an AGM is not run or designed, or comprehensive enough for members to get these insights)

yes, we want to hear about the trails - but there is so much more that drought and back brake moaning, that could be newsletter subjects.

I also like the (Warren and Mellisa) ? type video idea (i.e. these (W&M specifically) probably not everyone cup of tea, but a good start to shows more of our excellent trails)

ciao

ps. I sent the essence of issues above to TMBC

A big chunk of the donations went to the 3 farm schools that we routinely pass. Given what we have access to the fees for TGMTB are miniscule. 

I get so gatvol - every time I open this forum and this thread is the 1st on the list - then I open it and have to read all the Cape MTBers complaining about about how their manicured trails are managed. 

Maybe these Karyns need a PK every once in a while to bring them back to reality.

Please drag this dead horse outside and go ride your bike

I'll close the door on my way out 

17 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Probably, every time I'm there it's usually the same faces from last time. I suppose we should start introductions next time we're there 😁. real name, hub name etc.

I'm the round oke on the grey Camber with the red pedals and noisy red hubs.

You weren't at Bloemendal on Saturday riding the Flow Trail by any chance?