Bianchi Oltre is Born: the first Hyperbike

News bot

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Press Office said:

Aerovolution is now. Bianchi has rewritten the concept of a high-performance aerodynamic bicycle with the launch of the Oltre platform, led by the Oltre RC hyperbike and complemented by the Oltre Pro and Oltre models.

image.jpeg

View full article

It's electric !

Looks like Trek also attended the Ted Talk hosted by Cervelo where they discussed these holes and shapes

Imagine they all appeared on the same bike!

With all these aero gains and free Watts on offer from wheels, frame & component manufactures, at what point does the bike become self propelled ? I mean, if you add it all up, it sometimes sounds like the bike is so fast you need to hang on for dear life or be left behind!

Madone | Trek Bikes (ZA)

First review: New Cervélo S5 Ultegra Di2 2023 – The greatest aero bike of  all times? | GRAN FONDO Cycling Magazine

I do wonder what bugs and bits would get stuck in those flaps..
And if you didn't clean it out, how slow and cumbersome your bike would become...

Bianchi unveils radical new Oltre road bike with 'Air Deflector' aero tech  | road.cc

The Italians have been known to complicate a simple design on the odd occasion

Pinarello's latest gravel bike has taken us by surprise ...

Edited by splat

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Ludicrous looks and price. The push bike industry is worse than just about any other for overcharging for very dubious performance gains. No doubt a few CEO's will take the bait though. 

At least for a R250k ebike you're getting a motor and other real hi tech bits. I learned early on that fancy road bikes get you very limited gains for the money. Especially when you're roaring along in the peleton. I rode a 11kg steel road bike with badly warped wheels to a sub three many years ago on the CTCT. 

it is a myth that motors are "high tech bits", but as a motorbike racer that got into cycling afterwards, I never understood how my bicycles were always more expensive than my motorbikes 🤣 (was actually also more expensive than my car until not so long ago)

16 minutes ago, Jbr said:

it is a myth that motors are "high tech bits", but as a motorbike racer that got into cycling afterwards, I never understood how my bicycles were always more expensive than my motorbikes 🤣 (was actually also more expensive than my car until not so long ago)

your bikes cost less than your car? My bikes are insured for 5x what I paid for my car lol

31 minutes ago, splat said:

Looks like Trek also attended the Ted Talk hosted by Cervelo where they discussed these holes and shapes

Imagine they all appeared on the same bike!

With all these aero gains and free Watts on offer from wheels, frame & component manufactures, at what point does the bike become self propelled ? I mean, if you add it all up, it sometimes sounds like the bike is so fast you need to hang on for dear life or be left behind!

Madone | Trek Bikes (ZA)

First review: New Cervélo S5 Ultegra Di2 2023 – The greatest aero bike of  all times? | GRAN FONDO Cycling Magazine

Same FEM analysis software ... more thinner components for a lighter yet stronger end product.  (same reason all new cars share so many lines)

Your second pic just highlights the absurdity of it all .... all that energy in marketing, and the user adds a computer on the front ....

As was said already .... the spare tube bulge in the rider's pocket has a greater aerodynamic impact than some of these marketing hype items ....

These concepts may well make an interesting project for a track bike where the rider is kitted to match and to get the absolute best from the earo aspects .... 

16 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

your bikes cost less than your car? My bikes are insured for 5x what I paid for my car lol

I had to get a better car when we started the parenting thing. The new car covers both my bikes, but the old one is worth less than each of my bikes;)

image.png.49cf76af834c5dee624afcb4fcebd2ba.pngCompletely agree with the massive size of the Sram hood compared to maybe the Di2 ones that seem more aero.

Surprised he crititizes so much the gap between the front wheel and the top tube, when the SL7 has an enormous gap between the seat tube and the rear wheel and still seems like a pretty fast bike.

I really really dislike these bars though, especially compared to the cervelo ones that seem to make more sense.

Seem to also think that the deflector is BS if not counter productive

image.png

Edited by Jbr

Quite the Hambini love fest in this topic. A bit surprised tbh as he seems to have become popular mainly on the account of being an absolute ********. I personally think he’s a massive fraud but that’s just me. His praising for anything French is also suspicious and makes him completely biased. What’s more surprising is how easily people believe what they want to believe. 

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

Depends on what you deem hi-tech - a brushless motor that sucks less juice for more krag and controlled electronically as are found in EBikes, sure used to be uber hi-tech. 

38 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Quite the Hambini love fest in this topic. A bit surprised tbh as he seems to have become popular mainly on the account of being an absolute ********. I personally think he’s a massive fraud but that’s just me. His praising for anything French is also suspicious and makes him completely biased. What’s more surprising is how easily people believe what they want to believe. 

wether we like or don't like him is irrelevant, it doesn't make the Sram hoods more aero, or the "air deflector" less BS. Why does everything have to be so polarised ? Just because we're interested in what he has to say means we love him ?

14 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Depends on what you deem hi-tech - a brushless motor that sucks less juice for more krag and controlled electronically as are found in EBikes, sure used to be uber hi-tech. 

it is tech for sure, doesn't mean it's expensive tech. Few years ago the gyroscopes that allow drones to be stable was super high end and very quickly became super normal now you can find cheap drones that are perfectly stable. What I meant was that it's not the motor that makes it expensive

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

image.png.49cf76af834c5dee624afcb4fcebd2ba.pngCompletely agree with the massive size of the Sram hood compared to maybe the Di2 ones that seem more aero.

Surprised he crititizes so much the gap between the front wheel and the top tube, when the SL7 has an enormous gap between the seat tube and the rear wheel and still seems like a pretty fast bike.

I really really dislike these bars though, especially compared to the cervelo ones that seem to make more sense.

Seem to also think that the deflector is BS if not counter productive

image.png

The whole bike is BS

those nostrils do nothing for air flow. Their inlets are nowhere near the stagnation point and there’s not enough pressure there anyway. Air flowing through that dingis with stall and it will basically force the air flow to go around it making the head tube seem wider than it is. If it even worked I’ll 3D print a few and stock them. On my look with double sided tape. To have a remote chance of working the inlets need to be twice the area and the exits further downstream. 

thengao between front wheel and the downtube is massive. Massive drag will be created there. Everything about this bike screams “ look at me look at me …I have more money than sense. People are starving and I’m riding a bike loaded with gimmicks but paid a small fortune for you gutter grovelling peasant!”

Hey, I like the top tube stem assembly! Just a nice smooth "ramp" up and over the bike - no more hitting your knaters on the stem when you hit a car or pedestrian. Just a smooth slide over and connecting with your whole body! 

Wish I had this on my bike a few weeks back. Could have prevented some tears then!

Edited by FrancoisdeVille
Ad more text