Hot Feet 🦶

ttona33

Hi Hubbers

any advice for Hot feet its killing me and make my riding unpleasant. I am using Sworks Recon mtb shoes . Stil in good condition .
Starts burning 20-30 minutes in the ride already. 

Things ive already tried : 

New Spez ++ inersoles

bike and Cleat setup  

what else can I try ? 

I do agree, look at the fit first.  Secondly, you might want to reconsider the sock - your Falke knit offers pretty good ventilation.  The Versus socks looks pretty but mine heats up quickyly.  Then, also revisit the ventilation of the shoe itself.  We tend to close of ventilation during cold month and forget to open it during summer.  I know the Garneau offers inner soles for Summer and different ones for Winter.

7 minutes ago, Jakes101 said:

I do agree, look at the fit first.  Secondly, you might want to reconsider the sock - your Falke knit offers pretty good ventilation.  The Versus socks looks pretty but mine heats up quickyly.  Then, also revisit the ventilation of the shoe itself.  We tend to close of ventilation during cold month and forget to open it during summer.  I know the Garneau offers inner soles for Summer and different ones for Winter.

Thanx Jakes , Jip I use versus socks , going to try something else . Thanx for the advice 

20 minutes ago, Furbz said:

Any chance they are black shoes?

always found those to be hotter than a more reflective lighter colour

Jip Black ones . 

2 hours ago, ttona33 said:

Hi Hubbers

any advice for Hot feet its killing me and make my riding unpleasant. I am using Sworks Recon mtb shoes . Stil in good condition .
Starts burning 20-30 minutes in the ride already. 

Things ive already tried : 

New Spez ++ inersoles

bike and Cleat setup  

what else can I try ? 

By hot foot what exactly do you mean?

Maybe you need a personalized orthotic instead of the generic Specialized inner soles. 
Been there done that, struggled with burning toes and worse pain like my toes were being hit with a hammer as the ride duration increased. Specialized inners with a metatarsal bar helped fractionally, so I went to a podiatrist and had orthotics made for cycling, since then no more foot or toe pain.

Edited by SwissVan

I suspect that what ttona33 means is that his/her feet just become very, very warm while riding- especially in summer.

I suffered from the same affliction, which is why I use toeclips and ride in sandals. Then again, I am a recreational and commuter cyclist.

If that's not for you, I think that Shimano does make a clip-in cycling sandal but you would likely have to import it.

10 hours ago, Rudz said:

I suspect that what ttona33 means is that his/her feet just become very, very warm while riding- especially in summer.

I suffered from the same affliction, which is why I use toeclips and ride in sandals. Then again, I am a recreational and commuter cyclist.

If that's not for you, I think that Shimano does make a clip-in cycling sandal but you would likely have to import it.

I suspect not-he refers to change inner soles, as well as cleat positions. Sounds like he is getting hot spots on his feet, which arises from concentrated pressure on some of the feet, and also friction. 
Socks can be a contributor, incorrectly positioned cleats, poor blood flow and also soft soles on the shoes causing more direct pressure around the clear area as opposed to the pressure being distributed across a larger area due to a stiff carbon sole

Remember. during riding, especially long rides. feet dent to swell a bit and then adds pressure that could be seen as"hot feeling" Also sometime we tend to tighten to much.

Socks makes a big diffrence.

Your feet needs some space to swell etc.

Hope it helps.

I've read that certainly earlier Specialzed shoes were quite narrow and this seems correct as I have an older pair of Spez that are same size as my Lakes but I can't wear the Spez as they give me serious pins & needles 

@ttona33I bet that if you look at your cleat position that they are very far forward and under your toes.  This is the most common reason for HOT FOOT, the pressure under your toes is pinching the nerves and starts with "heat" sensation and turns into pain.

Cheap fix, move the cleat backward towards the heal (as far as it can go) remember that shoes have 4 cleat bolt holes, you want the cleat in the furthers back holes.  This will effectively relieved the pressure and increase comfort.  It will also increase foot stability whilst pedalling.

Defintely shoe fit, I had the same issue, even developed a Morton's Neuroma in my one foot becasue of it. 

I tried moving cleats, bike fit, etc, but only once I got a bigger shoe did the problem go away. I'm a 10 in a normal shoe, cycling shoe I wear an 11, even and 11.5.

Your feet swell when riding, and then create pressure, which then casues the "hot foot syndrome' which is essentially pressure on the nerve.

Go one size up, and if you have wide feet like I do then try find wide fitting shoes, or ones with more compliancy.

11 minutes ago, Lance Stephenson said:

@ttona33I bet that if you look at your cleat position that they are very far forward and under your toes.  This is the most common reason for HOT FOOT, the pressure under your toes is pinching the nerves and starts with "heat" sensation and turns into pain.

Cheap fix, move the cleat backward towards the heal (as far as it can go) remember that shoes have 4 cleat bolt holes, you want the cleat in the furthers back holes.  This will effectively relieved the pressure and increase comfort.  It will also increase foot stability whilst pedalling.

this worked for me, with spez / sworks shoes