When is the correct time to have Protein

Hi guys. So just a quick one. 

I like to use Nutritech Premium Whey as a recovery supplement in my recovery regimen. I normally have it after my big long rides and don't usually bother with it after a short HIIT session. 

But I was wondering. When is the BEST time to use it? 

*should I use it after a big long slow ride. Like a 3 hour plus. 

*should I use it after a short ~1 hour HIIT session. 

I've also seen some online articles saying you should have protein before your ride. So I was just hoping for some input. 

42 minutes ago, Alastair_S1D said:

Hi guys. So just a quick one. 

I like to use Nutritech Premium Whey as a recovery supplement in my recovery regimen. I normally have it after my big long rides and don't usually bother with it after a short HIIT session. 

But I was wondering. When is the BEST time to use it? 

*should I use it after a big long slow ride. Like a 3 hour plus. 

*should I use it after a short ~1 hour HIIT session. 

I've also seen some online articles saying you should have protein before your ride. So I was just hoping for some input. 

I generally have a shake after each workout. Never thought about having a shake prior to exercise, but for longer rides, I do have add Cadence Marathon to one bottle, which includes protein. 

Regarding the amount; all depends on your diet/other sources of protein intake. 

There is a lot of info that mentions the best time to take your protein shake is in the anabolic window, which is between 30 - 60min after a workout, but further studies have proven that isn't as important as once thought. 

As long as you replenish nutrients after a workout and get an adequate  amount of protein per day. 

4 hours ago, Dappere said:

I generally have a shake after each workout. Never thought about having a shake prior to exercise, but for longer rides, I do have add Cadence Marathon to one bottle, which includes protein. 

Regarding the amount; all depends on your diet/other sources of protein intake. 

There is a lot of info that mentions the best time to take your protein shake is in the anabolic window, which is between 30 - 60min after a workout, but further studies have proven that isn't as important as once thought. 

As long as you replenish nutrients after a workout and get an adequate  amount of protein per day. 

If one had to choose between taking after a long slow day or a short intense day. After which type of exercise would it be most beneficial to take a protein supplement? 

14 minutes ago, Alastair_S1D said:

If one had to choose between taking after a long slow day or a short intense day. After which type of exercise would it be most beneficial to take a protein supplement? 

Personally, its not either-or. I would take a shake post each type of effort described above.

My interpretation of a long day: > 4 hours, and short day: < 2 hours. Post long day effort would generally include a meal after a protein shake, where a short day would only include a protein shake. 

If you eat a balanced meal every day (protein, carbs, fats, fiber, etc., get sufficient sleep, and fuel for the workout you're doing, you should recover sufficiently within 24 hours by just following those simple guidelines. The Pros are racing day-after-day and need to get as much in as soon as possible after each ride to maximise their recovery.

Many people (unquantified) are probably eating the right amount of carbs, but they aren't eating enough protein and fats to keep the ratio balanced. They think cutting carbs is the answer, which then turns to being insufficiently fueled for the workout.

30 minutes ago, Frosty said:

If you eat a balanced meal every day (protein, carbs, fats, fiber, etc., get sufficient sleep, and fuel for the workout you're doing, you should recover sufficiently within 24 hours by just following those simple guidelines. The Pros are racing day-after-day and need to get as much in as soon as possible after each ride to maximise their recovery.

Many people (unquantified) are probably eating the right amount of carbs, but they aren't eating enough protein and fats to keep the ratio balanced. They think cutting carbs is the answer, which then turns to being insufficiently fueled for the workout.

I was about to say, 'when you eat your meals and snacks'...

How much exercise is the OP doing that you need to supplement it often?

I'm asking out of interest. Before I was ill I would exercise 10 to 30 hours a week, occasionally doing 30 hours on a weekend. 

I never used supplements, shakes or anything other than food and cool drink/water and the occasional electrolyte replacement.

My wife is a competitive cross fitter and power lifter. She smashes protein shakes every day.

So I always wonder how one gets there and what the actual scientific benefits are for recreational athletes

I read in an article somewhere (last month or so), that intake of protein prior to exercise  / racing is not recommended as the ammonia levels in the blood will increase as a result, leading to decreased muscle function; making the legs feel heavy etc.  Best to take it afterwards.

I stand to be corrected on what my memory is sharing with me 🤪

You need carbs before riding to fuel what you are about to do.
You need carbs during workouts to fuel what you are busy doing.
You need carbs post workout to recover from what you just did.

Protein slows gastric emptying and is best avoided anywhere near your workouts. Post workout recovery should focus on glycogen resynthesis. The sooner you get your carbs and the easier you make it to digest and absorb them the better.

If your diet needs supplementation of protein, then it needs it every day regardless of type of workout, and you can take it at any time of day. Some take it in the morning to bump satiety, some take it in the evenings to replace a post dinner treat habit. Doesn't make a difference.

Remember your protein shake, is not just protein and not all "protein shakes" are the same.

Mass gainers have like 70% carbs and 20% protein so having them during and before will also help fuel you. A lot of the recovery shakes are similar balance.

Other more pure whey options are nearly 80% protein so there is a massive difference.(especially in the smells you can produce after ingestion)

You also need to decide what you are needing it for. I know when my endurance training load is high I dip into the mass gainers a lot just to get the calories in and maintain the input to output balance. 

When I have specific targets like strength/speed and building specific muscle then I use the whey, a lot of them have a little bit of creatine is well. But I have always used as post workout to get easily digestible protein directly after training...

18 hours ago, swingTOpeddle said:

This was an interesting video. Particularly interesting for those on the + side of 35. 

Parts relevant to OP question: You are likely not consuming enough protein, and you should spread your protein intake throughout the entire day.

Sorry, couldn’t help but think of this fraud when I read the thread title 🤣

(if you don’t know the backstory, Liver-king rose to fame by claiming he looked like this from ONLY eating animal meat/organs. The he got exposed and came clean about using roids instead haha)

Ps: I only know this because i listen to Joe Rogan’s podcast every now and then.

045E0425-85CD-464B-BD70-D34885F80D94.jpeg

One of the reasons why most people take Whey is for quicker recover for the body and muscles, the main ingredient is the Amino Acids that is contains. You find them in all the products life Mass builder and a few others but the Whey protein has the largest amount of Amino Acids ( in a shake or meal replacements ). Whey is also the most expensive. Amino Acids aids your muscle recovery and builds lean muscle, so not only do you recovery but you get stronger. 

General senses is that it should be taken within +- 30 mins after any activity short or long, this is when you body is looking for nutrition and absorbs it the best.

Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA) comes in different forms, I prefer buying BCAA (USN BCAA 12:1:1) as your body doesn't have to break down all the other ingredients that's in the Whey protein, its cheaper and your body absorbs it faster. What I also like about the BCAA is that you can drink it anytime (Before, during and after) Its is every bottle and make and drink it on commutes and training rides, i have even raced with it, Ill have another bottle after training and racing. I've been using it just over a year now and seen improvements, wished I started using this when I started riding.  

Carbs is the best to race with but Branched Chain Amino Acids is the best for recovery. 

There is some guys on pro level that races with both BCAA and keytones in there bottles. 

Here is a link from Brent Botha (South African) on recovery.

https://israelpremiertech.com/essential_tips_to_a_faster_post_cycling_recovery/ 

Edited by Naidy

18 minutes ago, Naidy said:

Amino Acids aids your muscle recovery and builds lean muscle, so not only do you recovery but you get stronger. 

Taking protein alone doesn’t make you stronger, but rather weight training and getting the correct recovery makes you stronger.

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

Taking protein alone doesn’t make you stronger, but rather weight training and getting the correct recovery makes you stronger.

This is true, there are other factors that contribute