Best vehicle for bikes

Rgans

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're looking at Jazz you want to go for the 1.5, and if the budget can stretch then the sport offers 11kw more power than the standard 1.5 and a host of extra bells and whistles. 

26 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

If you're looking at Jazz you want to go for the 1.5, and if the budget can stretch then the sport offers 11kw more power than the standard 1.5 and a host of extra bells and whistles. 

Students shouldn't be trying to eke out extra KW. Anyone under 25 should drive a speed capped vehicle. 

Being responsible and making good decisions do not always run hand in hand with students. 

Extra power means a little bit extra room for idiocy. 

Just saying 🙊

Get a Jimny GEN 3

Get a pert time job to pay it’s hungry fuel usage, but be prepared to never stop smiling.

Best part of all, never worry about a speeding ticket again.

Ultimate budget student car = 1300 bakkie, cheap to run and practical to use.*

A lot of love for the Jazz here, never considered it a student type car and weren't many round campus in my days (20 +yrs ago). I really looked at them once I had more $$$, the space you get in the back is insane but i guess a lot of others have copied it by now.

On 2/4/2023 at 9:14 AM, RiverInTheRoad said:

🤣😄😄

Buy a Honda Jazz or a Honda CR-V that was well looked after.

Bike relevant cars I have owned and can recommend:

Honda CR-V gen 1. GREAT car. Slightly thirsty. Reliable. Huge load area, no need to remove a wheel to fit an XL 29r

Honda CR-V gen 2. Ditto the above but better highway handling. 

VW Caddy Maxi. Awesomely huge practical load area. Great engine and handling. Fuel efficient. Overpriced VW parts and servicing. Shitty thin bodypanels. Noisy inside due to being a van. Low ground clearance.

Honda Jazz. The best. Zero sex appeal. Get n girlfriend before getting the car. These cars are great. 

Toyota Fortuner Gen 1. Great engine. More economical than a CR-V if you get a diesel. Cheaper to service than any of the above (at the Stealers even). Shitty handling on highways. Fits an XL 29r without removing the wheels. Very large boot. Also it is one of the few cars that you make money on when selling.

TLDR - get a Jazz

some nice cars there. not sure how many students on a budget will roll in a fortuner but out the box thinking for sure.

If you need a certain type of car to get chicks, then you're looking for the wrong kind of chicks (imho).

*as for most car threads, people will tell you to get what they drive(drove) - i had a bantam as a student.

46 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Ultimate budget student car = 1300 bakkie, cheap to run and practical to use.*

A lot of love for the Jazz here, never considered it a student type car and weren't many round campus in my days (20 +yrs ago). I really looked at them once I had more $$$, the space you get in the back is insane but i guess a lot of others have copied it by now.

some nice cars there. not sure how many students on a budget will roll in a fortuner but out the box thinking for sure.

If you need a certain type of car to get chicks, then you're looking for the wrong kind of chicks (imho).

*as for most car threads, people will tell you to get what they drive(drove) - i had a bantam as a student.

Surprisingly no one has copied Honda’s magic seats in the Jazz. 

8 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Surprisingly no one has copied Honda’s magic seats in the Jazz. 

It seems as though the new generation lost this feature, sadly? IMO, it looks way better than the previous attempt which was closer to something you may see cruising Bedfordview on a Friday night, arm with a full sleeve tattoo, hanging out the window, cigarette ready to be tossed into the bush.

Just now, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

It seems as though the new generation lost this feature, sadly? IMO, it looks way better than the previous attempt which was closer to something you may see cruising Bedfordview on a Friday night, arm with a full sleeve tattoo, hanging out the window, cigarette ready to be tossed into the bush.

Nope, magic seats are still there. 

On 2/3/2023 at 1:48 PM, Jewbacca said:

While others may disagree, I have enjoyed my Diesel Duster.

Goes at 19km to the litre, has reasonably good support through Motus and haven't been at all let down by it on the road.

It managed to get 4 people, 4 bikes and a fully loaded roof/inside out of Lesotho in a snow storm.

It is huge inside and will often come with a factory fitted tow bar.

You should be able to get a really nice on within your budget.

My wife keeps telling me to look at one of these. 

Another one to add to the mix is a Nissan X-Trail. I've had my 2011 2.0l petrol one for 7 years now and it has never skipped a beat. I currently average about 8l/ 100km. It has big ground clearance and the back seats fold flat. The space in the back is huge! You can definitely get one within your budget with reasonable mileage. Maintenance has also been reasonable over the years. Great car for hauling bikes, longer road trips, and handles gravel roads superbly.

On 2/6/2023 at 2:26 PM, PappaWatTrap said:

I wasn't interested in a new car, but now I want a Jazz

me two...and I just bought a polo, because my defender is also not the right vehicle according to this thread.

1 hour ago, renayg said:

Another one to add to the mix is a Nissan X-Trail.
It has big ground clearance and the back seats fold flat. The space in the back is huge!

Good suggestion.

OP, never underestimate the value of going to far off places, and the ability to sleep in the back. It’s the stuff that impromptu adventures are made off.  As a matter of fact I still embrace my inner dirtbag when camping with the boys. Mattress, sleeping bag, cooler box and ammo crate kitchen. 

Edited by PhilipV

On 2/6/2023 at 2:31 PM, The Ouzo said:

FYI it's the same engine in the sport as the other 1.5s just with upgraded software. You want some fun decat one and do a software upgrade and the little 1500s power goes well into triple digits. 😁

22 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

FYI it's the same engine in the sport as the other 1.5s just with upgraded software. You want some fun decat one and do a software upgrade and the little 1500s power goes well into triple digits. 😁

Nope. Sport has direct injection engine and the normal ones don’t.