2023 wheel balancing charges!

betaboy

NB- This was just some humor fun that seem to have offended some. I do apologize for the inconsideration of the post. 

I will remove it .

Edited by SJ01 I miss my Ma so much Broken heart
Amended

3 hours ago, betaboy said:

I’d be interested to see what’s the price point at your LBS?

I paid R300 for a hub swap at Cyclelab Fourways. I supplied the replacement hub. Think that's very reasonable 

4 hours ago, SJ01 I miss my Ma so much Broken heart said:

😶 is this an error when load shedding started ?  Quick rich...R600 p/h 😄

Have you worked out what it costs to own a business and make enough profit to ensure you keep the lights on in the lean months?

Wheel building and truing is a highly skilled job. 

5 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

'Balancing'? Or truing ... just wondering

I suppose both…🤔

12 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Have you worked out what it costs to own a business and make enough profit to ensure you keep the lights on in the lean months?

Wheel building and truing is a highly skilled job. 

yeah I think some people see a cost and have no clue what goes into coming up with that. I'm betting that R600p/h is barely turning a profit.

Not every spanner swinger can properly true a wheel, it takes skill and patience. 

10 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

yeah I think some people see a cost and have no clue what goes into coming up with that. I'm betting that R600p/h is barely turning a profit.

Not every spanner swinger can properly true a wheel, it takes skill and patience. 

Can't agree more.  I know of shops that will build a wheel for under R200.  Not me.  I charge R600 for a standard wheel build and that will usually take me over an hour.  I can build in half an hour but I am a perfectionist so you can bank on at least an hour. 

As for tools - I can build without any fancy equipment but I can build a far better wheel with good tools. My three most expensive tools would set you back around R115 000.  (P&K Lie truing stand EU 1800,  DT Swiss tension meter EU336, Kowa spoke cutter/threader USD2600) Throw in VAT and shipping and you get there.  That is 190 wheels have to be built before I earn a cent.  Haven't mentioned a host of other tools - dishing tool, spoke keys, spoke stock (of around R80 000) and a lot more. 

You are right - R600 barely turns a profit.

12 hours ago, David Marshall said:

Can't agree more.  I know of shops that will build a wheel for under R200.  Not me.  I charge R600 for a standard wheel build and that will usually take me over an hour.  I can build in half an hour but I am a perfectionist so you can bank on at least an hour. 

As for tools - I can build without any fancy equipment but I can build a far better wheel with good tools. My three most expensive tools would set you back around R115 000.  (P&K Lie truing stand EU 1800,  DT Swiss tension meter EU336, Kowa spoke cutter/threader USD2600) Throw in VAT and shipping and you get there.  That is 190 wheels have to be built before I earn a cent.  Haven't mentioned a host of other tools - dishing tool, spoke keys, spoke stock (of around R80 000) and a lot more. 

You are right - R600 barely turns a profit.

This is exactly why all my wheels go to David - top notch service and attention to detail

I have no issue paying for expertise and right tools and equipment.

And the more pedantic the perfectionist the better.!

What is concerning is the average spanner swinger charging similar ...

I have a set of ZIPP 404/606 carbon tubbies on my TT bikes and I was shocked at how badly they are out of balance.  They are not so bad without the tubbies but once the tyres go on they are terrible.

I have actually added balance weights and did my own balancing - which goes against everything we learn as cyclists about trying to reduce weight.  It also looks a bit redneck-ish because to get it perfect I had to add weights on each side of the rim but the difference when you are down on the horns at 45kph is crazy.  It feels like nothing will unsettle the bike now.  Before it was hopping all over the place.

19 minutes ago, Andymann said:

I have a set of ZIPP 404/606 carbon tubbies on my TT bikes and I was shocked at how badly they are out of balance.  They are not so bad without the tubbies but once the tyres go on they are terrible.

I have actually added balance weights and did my own balancing - which goes against everything we learn as cyclists about trying to reduce weight.  It also looks a bit redneck-ish because to get it perfect I had to add weights on each side of the rim but the difference when you are down on the horns at 45kph is crazy.  It feels like nothing will unsettle the bike now.  Before it was hopping all over the place.

if you read the comments from the Bikerumour article linked further up, one guy used lead tape that golfers use. I assume that this might be an elegant solution to your problem.