SRAM announce hangerless Eagle Transmission drivetrains

News bot

2 hours ago, MORNE said:

already posted back on page 10 but good to reinforce it. These puppies are waaaay stronger than a hanger based system. Mr PT is strangely quiet on this topic...

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

already posted back on page 10 but good to reinforce it. These puppies are waaaay stronger than a hanger based system. Mr PT is strangely quiet on this topic...

I must say I have had more Shimano derailleur issues eg klapping into spokes and such like than I have ever had with the only SRAM mech I've had a GX 11s. Its a tough cookie. The newer Shimano stuff looks beefier though.

4 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Sorry, didnt follow the thread. But yes, this kind of convinced me too.
And here I am wishing my axs gets smashed in a crash so i can revert back to ‘Amish’ derailleurs. I cant be bothered with having to charge my bicycle to use it, and I really don't like the tv remote shifter. I miss the tactility of the mechanicals for sure.

Edited by MORNE

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

I must say I have had more Shimano derailleur issues eg klapping into spokes and such like than I have ever had with the only SRAM mech I've had a GX 11s. Its a tough cookie. The newer Shimano stuff looks beefier though.

In think all the 11s stuff was pretty good.

still totally worth it for a cost conscious build.  

7 minutes ago, MORNE said:

In think all the 11s stuff was pretty good.

still totally worth it for a cost conscious build.  

Or for XCO racing if you’re strong enough to cope

On 3/27/2023 at 8:46 PM, Hairy said:

Shimano are joining the party so late, they may just as well be patenting wireless single speed shifting .... or a lockout lever on your shifter to lock out your rigid fork.

Sram is celebrating being able to shift under load with this. I've been having it on my Deore 12spd build for three years.

On 3/28/2023 at 6:43 AM, TheoG said:

SRAM introduced it, Shimano will perfect it .... 🤪🤣😂

Or put it in at mid spec price points as well immediately when it goes to market. 

3 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Sram is celebrating being able to shift under load with this. I've been having it on my Deore 12spd build for three years.

Or put it in at mid spec price points as well immediately when it goes to market. 

I’m not sure why they make a big deal of this shifting under load because my 11s XX1 shifter just fine under load, 12 s eagle was better and the new Transmission stuff is just quieter, slightly slower to shift and more deliberate. I guess small improvements are worth making a lot of noise over when commentators are talking about Shimano smooth shifting.

even under load current mechanical eagle shifts accurately and reliably, it’s just noisy /clunky 

40 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I’m not sure why they make a big deal of this shifting under load because my 11s XX1 shifter just fine under load, 12 s eagle was better and the new Transmission stuff is just quieter, slightly slower to shift and more deliberate. I guess small improvements are worth making a lot of noise over when commentators are talking about Shimano smooth shifting.

even under load current mechanical eagle shifts accurately and reliably, it’s just noisy /clunky 

I think the reviews tell you that Shimano perfected this under load shifting better than SRAM and as Phil says, you can get it with Deore but have to pay stupid money to get SRAM that also does it that well. SRAM don't want anyone to bother with less than 12 gears while Shimano offers lekker 10/11 speed kit at a decent price point. 

46 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I think the reviews tell you that Shimano perfected this under load shifting better than SRAM and as Phil says, you can get it with Deore but have to pay stupid money to get SRAM that also does it that well. SRAM don't want anyone to bother with less than 12 gears while Shimano offers lekker 10/11 speed kit at a decent price point. 

Yes Shimano does cover the entire market quite nicely. A decent option for everyone

Im sorry Diesel, yes they make good stuff, but what sram calls ‘being able to shift under load’ in everything before this - is just not haha. Unless you dont get it on current gen GX AXS? I regularly get reprimanded by riding buddies for how I just smash through the gears from a standstill. I guess “bad habits” I picked up from Shimano haha. But this GX sounds like a dog chewing ice when you just smash through the gears without thought or a care for it. Like multishift, it is still something i miss when i use this bike…but my hate for the tv remote shifter is well documented. And i know you can program it to ‘multishift’ - its still not the same.

ill gladly swop this AXS for some new amish XT greasy bits, ive even almost listed it on here for a swop, but my mild OCD would not allow a mixed groupo on there. And then theres the matter of sram’s absolutely pointless 29mm dub bb which would mean ill need another new wheelsmfg one there too👀 So im ‘stuck’ for now.

Edited by MORNE

OK, so if you have an older bike pre-UDH you are pretty much screwed as far as future proofing is concerned in the SRAM stable. Am I correct or not?