Did I just kill my brand new tyre?

Graham S

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Give it to the OP in the other thread who's drilled a hole in his bike and let's see which one caves in first ...

Bad luck with the new tyre - not the first person I've heard of this happening to

put it down to school fees and throw it away - i did similar when i just started out except it was a 250km road trip and i turned a tyre in to charcoal and bent a rim. As the man said be thanful those were alloy rims casue that would hev been a much uglier day.

After filling it with air again and feeling around the affected area, its paper thin and the tear is getting close to the bead. So will rather not risk it and chuck the tyre away :( Will get a new one tomorrow...

You wont die if it fails on the back. Patch it or use a tube with sealant, put it on the back. Even if you get 5 proper rides out of it…

you can just as easily slash any sidewall at speed and have an instantaneous deflation. Hell, these fast kids roll rear tyres off rims in fast in corners at the enduros and nobody dies or even falls off for that matter. 

its not on a bike that will be doing 60kph down a tar road.

another question…what casing is it? If its exo+ and up…even better. Its not a snakeskin xc tyre.

Edited by MORNE

6 hours ago, droo said:

1. Be glad you don't have carbon rims.

2. Get a proper (platform) bike rack as soon as possible, since you already have the towbar. Those hang on things are a good way to wreck bikes.

3. Like Morne said, stick a mushroom plug in it and ride it on the back. IF it fails at least it's a walk home and not a crash.

Or just don't make the exhaust tip stick out. I don't think that's a standard exhaust

1 hour ago, Gambithunt said:

New tyre, it's not worth taking a chance with

It's alive! 

3 minutes ago, Theunissa said:

Or just don't make the exhaust tip stick out. I don't think that's a standard exhaust

Yeah, but a platform rack will do way more than save your tyres. They're way more stable and easier to use.

Unless you drive a previous gen Fortuner or a Cayenne, then you'll need deflector plates as well. 

46 minutes ago, MORNE said:

You wont die if it fails on the back. Patch it or use a tube with sealant, put it on the back. Even if you get 5 proper rides out of it…

you can just as easily slash any sidewall at speed and have an instantaneous deflation. Hell, these fast kids roll rear tyres off rims in fast in corners at the enduros and nobody dies or even falls off for that matter. 

its not on a bike that will be doing 60kph down a tar road.

another question…what casing is it? If its exo+ and up…even better. Its not a snakeskin xc tyre.

It's an exo+ casing. 

I'll keep the tyre and tube as a spare incase anything happens on my other tyre etc. 

7 minutes ago, droo said:

Yeah, but a platform rack will do way more than save your tyres. They're way more stable and easier to use.

Unless you drive a previous gen Fortuner or a Cayenne, then you'll need deflector plates as well. 

Fellow Hubber just raised the towball on his Isuzu Frontier .... added benefit that the standard exhaust now properly clears the platform rack

15 minutes ago, Theunissa said:

Stock standard CRV. That's just where the exhaust sits 🙃