Is there a budget-friendly pair of carbon rims 29"?

Adam2007

48 minutes ago, Mook said:

It is a myth that all alloy wheels are heavier than carbon wheels. I would rather go for good alloy wheels than a cheap/budget carbon set.

My 2 cents' worth.

Was about to say this. Look at Stan's NoTubes. Their rims are light and durable for a fraction of the cost of carbon.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Iwan Kemp said:

Was about to say this. Look at Stan's NoTubes. Their rims are light and durable for a fraction of the cost of carbon.

My son competed for many years in WC XCO and SA XCO races with a set of Crests.

I think it's been repeated quite a bit before but you basically won't be able to find a decent full set for that price. Alu wheels can still be pretty great so definitely have a look at a good set of those rather. 

1 minute ago, Mtb_luka said:

I think it's been repeated quite a bit before but you basically won't be able to find a decent full set for that price. Alu wheels can still be pretty great so definitely have a look at a good set of those rather. 

👍🏻👍🏻😃

On 4/13/2023 at 7:21 PM, Adam2007 said:

🤣🤣 No, it's not about that. I do a lot of xc and the bike must be incredibly light.

Not necessarily. I ride a 16kg enduro bike with flats in baggies and a t-shirt, yet I am still way faster uphill than the majority of guys on xc bikes. The bike isn't a problem, it the bike is 10% heavier than you want it to be, get 10% fitter.

Also I am not sure if it is a concern to you, but an incredibly light bike handles awfully. Every rock threatens to throw you off course. It will not feel planted, and definitely not confidence inspiring.

A super light bike is a phase many people go through in their riding journey, but few people actually come to the realization that an extra kg or 2 is worth it when it drastically improves the bike's handling.

But at the end of the day, I am an enduro rider, so take everything I say with a pinch of salt.

19 hours ago, Adam2007 said:

Fulcrum red zone

Nothing wrong with Fulcrum Zone wheels. J&J keep most of the spairs for them maybe look at other ways to cut weight. 

Lighter rims are certainly the best place to shave weight from a bike, and it's where you'll feel the difference most as well.

Decent carbon rims will cost you R7-10k each. Rims only.
If that's not within your budget, don't even consider carbon, and yes, 2nd-hand carbon is risky.

New Stan's Crest Mk4 rims weigh 399g each. As light as you can safely go on a 29er MTB, and come in around the R2k mark, per rim.

In contrast, you can easily shave 100g per rim if you look at similar (25mm inner width) carbon rims.

That's the difference between a 1700g alloy wheel set and a 1500g carbon set, using the same hubs.

Is 200g worth R10-15k extra on a wheel set? Only you can decide...

I'm guessing Adam2007 is turning 16 in the year 2023 and races the schools/junior XC circuit.*

The Avalanche Sirocco I had at that age was my pride and joy, but I lusted over a diamond back Topanga. It was going to be a lot of pocket money/jobs and I want sure if it was worth it 

Ten years later I eventually bought one for $25 in a Vancouver charity shop and rode it loaded up all the way to Alaska before the term bikepacking even existed.

I know it sounds like I'm taking a round of turkey but there are more important things in life right now than carbon rims. You might find much better ways to go faster too if that goal really is that important. I'm scared the junior MTB scene has become such a chequebook game that I'm not sure my kids should go near it.

*Might be totally off here, but any excuse to talk about bike touring adventures

10 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I'm guessing Adam2007 is turning 16 in the year 2023 and races the schools/junior XC circuit.*

The Avalanche Sirocco I had at that age was my pride and joy, but I lusted over a diamond back Topanga. It was going to be a lot of pocket money/jobs and I want sure if it was worth it 

Ten years later I eventually bought one for $25 in a Vancouver charity shop and rode it loaded up all the way to Alaska before the term bikepacking even existed.

I know it sounds like I'm taking a round of turkey but there are more important things in life right now than carbon rims. You might find much better ways to go faster too if that goal really is that important. I'm scared the junior MTB scene has become such a chequebook game that I'm not sure my kids should go near it.

*Might be totally off here, but any excuse to talk about bike touring adventures

The top PRIMARY school kids are on R100k bikes.

More importantly though ... these kids have personal trainers.

I would go out on a limb and say that other athletic kids on more basic bikes would be competitve with the same level of training.

36 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I Agree. I'm doing alot better having a coach Than a 10k set of wheels That save 10 secs or a gold plated chain 

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

. I'm scared the junior MTB scene has become such a chequebook game that I'm not sure my kids should go near it.

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

The top PRIMARY school kids are on R100k bikes.

More importantly though ... these kids have personal trainers.

I

I used to mentor a 16yo laaitie that was racing schools league. I thought him all the shoestring budget tricks I knew to help him keep his Giant Xtc2 together. He was killing it on that hardtail against kids on S-Works Epics. 

More importantly, only one of the kids he was racing against have since risen through the ranks to be a noticeable rider today. 

The parents of these kids gave lost the plot. But it was the same when I was in school, only it was average kids with fancy hockey sticks and rugby boots. Slightly lower barrier of entry to the extravagant league though... 

carbon wheels..... 

taken all the above mentioned into account here is my 2c worth.

I presume you bought a bike and looking to upgrade parts? if you are looking at wheels i would save up and build a set of ZTR rims onto hope hubs. they are serviceable at just about any bike shop( if you are racing league this is important when traveling). even when upgrading other parts, keep in mind what is within budget to maintain aswell. a normal handlebar and stem option vs these all integrated carbon ones.. etc. 

yes a bike makes a difference and just like you i also envy those SPONSORED BY MY DAD laaities, but the reward to whipping there asses on a bike that is YOURS is way more rewarding. 

some further advice. i would invest in a set of resistance bands and a balance board to train balance and the whole body, way cheaper than a gym membership and you can take it anywhere and train. have a look at NINO and kate kourtney on insta and see what they do in the gym. lots of ideas on how to train off the bike can be adopted from them.

have a look at an indoor trainer and a tainerroad membership, structured training will blow your mind. 

look at a powermeter, there are always a good buy on marketplace, that way your outside data will match your trainer data. at the end of the day the only numbers that really matter is watts and watts/kg. I am by no means a racing snake but even i cant ride without a power meter these days. have one on my mtb and road bike and a smart trainer for the power data.  iff you did a ride inside for 300w for 30mins and you are sitting behind a guy and doing 280 YOU know you are well within you capabilities. but if you sit behind him and all you have is a 180 heartbeat and the taste of blood in your lungs i will also bond in my mind long before my legs fail

I think there are more beneficial areas to invest that 6000 in before you look at carbon rims. 

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY... don't give up a team sport just yet. doesn't matter if you play E team rugby/hockey. learn the values of a team sport. learn how to win AND lose, even when it's not your fault. those life lessons will help a lot when suffering alone up a climb. i do more marathon style riding and half the time i am in a head battle in silence. 

Edited by no calves