Shimano - WTF!

duringd

Luddites.  Eventually too many people start subverting the model , and they have to change it. 

But this will not be in time to solve your problem. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wonder how the "cheaper" group-sets are going to handle this, I see Cyclelab selling a few bikes with Microshift gear sets, what about something like BOX_ONE or BOX_TWO.

3 minutes ago, DroppedRider said:

Read the comments in the Facebook link. Shimano knows about this problem but does nothing. I guess they playing hardball to stop a recall of what I estimate millions of Ultegra and Dura Ace Cranks. 

https://www.facebook.com/100064360736973/posts/pfbid0gpq47zL2EX58r7NJArsDovMMETowA5sPovCGuZWkgqZeS2fbkQRYeZ8AJhPJpYtul/

Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 10.58.01.png

My bike developed a nasty creak. LBS (kudos Complete Cyclist Hout Bay) nailed it down to the R8000 crank. was painful to bin it, but less painful than any injury that could have happened

20 minutes ago, Dicky DQ said:

That is an Old photo........

it was our last outing to the French Valley Dickie... awaiting updated wheels though if that is what you are referring to 😈

On 5/3/2023 at 4:23 AM, Jewbacca said:

SRAM have exactly the same geo blocking on international sales... Cape Cycle systems are just a better local dealer and have things in stock 😉

and SRAM is better :)

Guys like Ltwoo and Microshift could (or maybe they are already) capitalise on this. 

Their products are easily available and much cheaper. Quality is getting better by the day. 

I replaced the shifter on my daughter's bike with L Twoo. Half the price and they do the same job.

15 minutes ago, Hairy said:

and SRAM is better :)

That's like a parent saying boys are better than girls. 

Both boys and girls have good and less good attributes. SRAM and Shimano both do some things way better than the other and other thins not as well.

Brand loyalty/blindness is silly. These things move in waves and are swayed by that particular company's design focus at that specific time.

If you convince yourself one is better than the other, you are limiting yourself to the possibilities of embracing the best of both companies. 

Like people who still only buy certain cars because 10 years ago it was the only company with a good parts availability and organised service centre.

Edited by Jewbacca

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

That's like a parent saying boys are better than girls. 

Both boys and girls have good and less good attributes. SRAM and Shimano both do some things way better than the other and other thins not as well.

Brand loyalty/blindness is silly. These things move in waves and are swayed by that particular company's design focus at that specific time.

If you convince yourself one is better than the other, you are limiting yourself to the possibilities of embracing the best of both companies. 

Like people who still only buy certain cars because 10 years ago it was the only company with a good parts availability and organised service centre.

And Red Bikes are FASTER

On 5/1/2023 at 8:58 PM, duringd said:

I'm trying to get some replacement parts for my drivetrain and brake units, XTR components. Standard answer is nobody has stock, Shimano cannot deliver. Deliveries "could" be possible late June, middle July. You can, however, get from overseas, not cheaper, but they have stock. Guess what - sorry, no deliveries of Shimano parts to SA. So the bigwigs at Shimano can keep us at ransom for their shite production schedules and lack of understanding of "freedom of choice"? Sitting here wondering how we just allow it? Nee man, NOT COOL!!!

Frustrating I know, problem is there is no more International manufacturing, logistics or stock issue. The issue is practically all bike shops use a company called CoolHeat if I recall correctly and they're the sole "agents" in SA.

Also new bikes are prioritized e.g. a new Tarmac SL7 comes with a Ultegra 12speed DI2 groupo or SRAM ASX whatever and this is shipped via their own distribution network's. 

Lead the revolt, I'll join with my pitchfork. 

Freight forwarder and German online bikeshops FTW! If I need something I get it, I won't be held to ransom by any local supplier

On 5/1/2023 at 8:58 PM, duringd said:

I'm trying to get some replacement parts for my drivetrain and brake units, XTR components. Standard answer is nobody has stock, Shimano cannot deliver. Deliveries "could" be possible late June, middle July. You can, however, get from overseas, not cheaper, but they have stock. Guess what - sorry, no deliveries of Shimano parts to SA. So the bigwigs at Shimano can keep us at ransom for their shite production schedules and lack of understanding of "freedom of choice"? Sitting here wondering how we just allow it? Nee man, NOT COOL!!!

Hi 
Please do contact us on 061 377 2809 with your list. We have contacts overseas that we can source from and ship to South Africa. Just got in some Shimano Ultegra non di2 disc groupsets from overseas in under 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

And Red Bikes are FASTER

this is a proven fact...

1 hour ago, thebob said:

Freight forwarder and German online bikeshops FTW! If I need something I get it, I won't be held to ransom by any local supplier

Where there is a will, there is a way. Best thing about everyone emigrating is that they can forward our online shopping vis private courier...