Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

I can ride anytime I like and for as long as I like, within reason of course else SWAMBO gets 'knorrig' ... I choose however to ride early in the morning during the warmer months and perhaps just a little later in winter.

As you guys have stated already I find it the best time and love being out and experiencing the sunrise. Energizes me for the day ahead!6cef601b34ef88697c7da68bfb10ec07.jpg

• Replies 30.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

1d7b2829b743d07000265ad568dc561c.jpg

I was forced to be a 4am rider many years back due to training for some stage races, working a hard job and being a full time father and husband. I hated it, struggled to get out of bed and did it out of pure necessity. One day, in the dead quiet of the darkness, just me, my thoughts and the sound of the tyres on the road everything changed. It’s now my favorite time to ride. I don’t need to ride early anymore but it’s become my happy place.

I think I need to get myself some lights.

i love getting up and riding before anyone else is awake, getting up before sunrise would be even better.

i love getting up and riding before anyone else is awake, getting up before sunrise would be even better.

I think getting a really powerful front and rear light has made the biggest difference to how safe I feel on the road. I actually bought them for the TransBaviaans this year as I had some cheapie Mr Price lights before that, but once I started using them on my road training rides I was amazed at how much more visible I felt.

The Marvel Blast 2200 lumen light oftentimes goes on special at CWC (picked mine up for R600 I think), and on the high beam or flashing setting I'm pretty sure I'm visible from the moon. The high/flash setting is so bright that it illuminates road signs ~100m away from you, so any motorist that is on the road and doesn't notice the combination of flashing lights has to be very drunk, very tired, or very much a ****.

The sun showed it’s face today,so took the RLT to do some roadie km’s in the hills of our local village. Been itching to try out my road wheels with 32 panaracers ,way better than the sawtooth’s for road duty.

Our village Christmas tree

sexy bike!

I love leaving home before sunrise ... enjoying the day breaking while I get to the trail entrance.

Section of trail, followed by coffee at the trail stop.

Morning commutes is another favorite .... though too few the last couple of months ...

My go to setup which never let me down even in pitch darkness.

1. 2000 lumen handlebar light with a good battery

2. 400 lumen light mounted to helmet

3. Garmin Radar mounted to seatpost

4. Bontrager flashing rear light

Besides having a redundant light both sides for flat battery situations they all played very well together. Bright light on handlebar with a wide beam, really took all the effort out of seeing (please consider runners and pedestrians with bright lights as you will blind them) also found the bright light was a good security feature as you could see far more than a perp trying to see what he’s up against (my theory). The helmet light allows you to see where you looking, so looking at your Garmin, checking what gear you in, looking next to the road and most importantly, allowing you to see what you doing when performing road side repair (limping to a well lit petrol station is always a winner as well). Garmin radar probably the best device I’ve ever purchased, unbelievably accurate and perfectly integrated into head unit.

Plan smart routes, keep them lower risk especially if riding alone. Get everything 100% ready the night before and enjoy!!