Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

3 minutes ago, Trashy said:

This is my nightmare.

I don't ride at Spice Route much because of it.

Screenshot_20220228_221029.jpg.d658a97b5c1fdb2e7df630f99ed2a4e5.jpg

Ja, I've heard of that one. I am one of those riders who measures the effort versus reward ratio before deciding to start an ascent and I've not concluded that the effort will sufficiently be rewarded. I am thinking of a trip to Rhebokskloof again sometime soon too but this one has not grabbed my fancy yet 

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• ChrisF

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Ja, I've heard of that one. I am one of those riders who measures the effort versus reward ratio before deciding to start an ascent and I've not concluded that the effort will sufficiently be rewarded. I am thinking of a trip to Rhebokskloof again sometime soon too but this one has not grabbed my fancy yet 

100% with you on this one.

There is no reward at all for this climb.

Rhebokskloof is superb at the moment, definitely worth going across to Owloon as part of the loop.

11 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Any talk at the event of going back to the two day stage format ?

THAT is unfinished business for me ....  was to be my first stage race ..... having paid, even being there on both days, but not being able to ride due to a knee injury .....

no talk of the 2 day format...just do the 85km, im sure its enough for most hahaha

and i can imagine being there and not being able to ride was torture. that is why i don't go to events i can't ride

9 hours ago, BenReaper said:

Haven't ridden in Stanford before, but use to ride a lot in the Lemond and Flower Valley area near Gansbay. 

Some beautiful fynbos trails and awesome views to suffer on/with.🤙

this trail had great views as well but i was suffering too much to really enjoy it unfortunately.

you cannot ride all of it on any other day so i really wanted to go have a look. only a very small part of the loop had permanent route markers and i asked,they don't allow riders on the rest

Zone 1 cruise.  Medicine for the soul. I needed the mental zen. 

It was rather dark this morning. would love to say whilst the cars sleep but it seems people are getting to work early these days. 

This pic was taken facing East, but if you zoom in above the 3rd lamp pole you can see a sliver of moon. 

17817EC9-9790-4B80-B247-429E44AEF4DA.jpeg

10 hours ago, Trashy said:

100% with you on this one.

There is no reward at all for this climb.

Rhebokskloof is superb at the moment, definitely worth going across to Owloon as part of the loop.

Awesome, what is Owloon trail like? flowy, techy, bermy? I have not ridden that section before.

13 hours ago, 'Dale said:

Yip @ChrisF

Had the KOM up there until some bra named Waylon Woolcock during the 99er pushed me down into obscurity. I cried myself to sleep that evening.

Ag, no worries, I'll go grab that KOM off of him with my Isuzu "e-bike". . . 😎🥇

11 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Curious to see that dreaded mast ascent at Contermanskloof... I detest that climb but it is an evil necessity if the plan is to drop into the Revised DH which leads into Black Rhino 1 and 2, which are my favourite trails in the entire network.

not sure what the average is but short sections are around 25% if I recall

15 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

not sure what the average is but short sections are around 25% if I recall

Well that explains the taste of blood as I cross over the cement section . . .

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Awesome, what is Owloon trail like? flowy, techy, bermy? I have not ridden that section before.

Fantastic berm section to drop in and then similar to Rheboks on the other side- natural trails.

Pops you out back at the top of the new berm section in the pine trees.

Edit: there's a steep climb out of Owloon. Take it with a pinch of salt but Strava showed one section at 35% gradient

Edited by Trashy

4 minutes ago, Trashy said:

Fantastic berm section to drop in and then similar to Rheboks on the other side- natural trails.

Pops you out back at the top of the new berm section in the pine trees.

Edit: there's a steep climb out of Owloon. Take it with a pinch of salt but Strava showed one section at 35% gradient

Now there's a reward versus effort ratio that I'm willing to entertain. Thanks for the info share. I am keen to go give it a try. Perhaps even this weekend.

On 2/28/2022 at 11:48 AM, NotSoBigBen said:

Where would you say is the steepest as a matter of interest ...

Dunno where your pic is taken, but Voortrekker up towards Steeldale appears far worse.

6 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Dunno where your pic is taken, but Voortrekker up towards Steeldale appears far worse.

Its longer, dont think its steeper though.

Incidentally, going up there was where I got my first speeding fine ever, 31 December 1993.

Cops used to park at what was the spar on the left hand side and then trap the guys gunning it up there.