Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

So in the spirit of competition (NotSoBigBen) - this happened to my Chris King hub on this weekends road ride...

attachicon.gifimage3.jpg

Damn that is not cool, I feel your pain! Fortunately I have been able to source a replacement at a reasonable price ????

post-271-1438797425,441.jpg

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• ChrisF

Top Posters In This Topic

That has to be one of the nicest looking bikes on the thread. I drool every time I see a pic of it.

Thanks

Is that an R45 hub?

According to Chris King it's a Classic High Flange Cross hub.

Visual difference seem to be the higher flange and the bigger/ wider body.

Damn that is not cool, I feel your pain! Fortunately I have been able to source a replacement at a reasonable price

attachicon.gifIMG-20150805-WA0007.jpg

Chris King have been great to deal with so far. Hopefully I come right.

According to Chris King it's a Classic High Flange Cross hub.

Visual difference seem to be the higher flange and the bigger/ wider body.

OK, when I was still into road cycling I looked around for hubs for a wheelset, and I remember that my preferred wheelbuilder said that the R45 from CK can be built with radial or cross lacing, while the other CK road hubs can only be built with cross lacing.

OK, when I was still into road cycling I looked around for hubs for a wheelset, and I remember that my preferred wheelbuilder said that the R45 from CK can be built with radial or cross lacing, while the other CK road hubs can only be built with cross lacing.

These seem to be CX specific hubs. Laced by someone at The Syndicate...

This is correct. Due to me not being involved in the lacing of the wheel, CK have agreed to warranty replace it. Now to decide if I want to stick to the radial lacing and get the R45 or keep the high flange hub but cross lace it...

So in the spirit of competition (NotSoBigBen) - this happened to my Chris King hub on this weekends road ride...

attachicon.gifimage3.jpg

Chris King and Cycles Africa have been really great to deal with regards to this. Warranty replacement on it's way, despite some issues that were neither CK's nor Cycle Africa's problem. Kudos to them.

Brian Cookson, Tom Van Damme & myself at Cascades this morning.

post-12909-0-92747000-1438951313_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ryanpmb

So... after a few postponements I eventually got round to doing the Vulture at Van Gaalens yesterday.

Perfect day to do it, lots of markings on the route because the Crazy Store trail run next week is pretty much the entire Vulture, however If i didn't have the GPS file on my Garmin, I'd probably still be up there... also,  weather was perfect (except for the veld fires) it was pretty clear.

Pics don't do the view justice... it's insane, I think I saw Kenya it's so high ^_^

Looking south from the top of the Magaliesberg

post-6012-0-00252400-1439108318_thumb.jpg

Looking west along the range

post-6012-0-82446100-1439108337_thumb.jpg

I'd recommend a couple things  if you ever do this:-

LOTS of water ( I went through 3L and ran out :mellow: about 90mins before we finished) 

Lots of suspension

TIME

a couple race food bars or similar

upper body strength, LOTS of carrying

A HUGE sense of humor

wings or a helicopter :blink:

It's a challenge of note, well, was for me at least.

5 and 3/4 hours ride time, total time out was 7 hours.

Granted I thought I was smart and took a wrong turn that added about 10-ish km and half an hour-ish to our time :oops: , but it's a long day out none the less. I wouldn't recommend it in summer...the top of the range is about 4m below the sun

Once I've sifted though my GoPro footage, I'll post a better pic or two 

Edited by L.T.G

Guest notmyname

So... after a few postponements I eventually got round to doing the Vulture at Van Gaalens yesterday.

Perfect day to do it, lots of markings on the route because the Crazy Store trail run next week is pretty much the entire Vulture, however If i didn't have the GPS file on my Garmin, I'd probably still be up there... also, weather was perfect (except for the veld fires) it was pretty clear.

Pics don't do the view justice... it's insane, I think I saw Kenya it's so high ^_^

Looking south from the top of the Magaliesberg

IMG_6401.JPG

Looking west along the range

IMG_6402.JPG

I'd recommend a couple things if you ever do this:-

LOTS of water ( I went through 3L and ran out :mellow: about 90mins before we finished)

Lots of suspension

TIME

a couple race food bars or similar

upper body strength, LOTS of carrying

A HUGE sense of humor

wings or a helicopter :blink:

It's a challenge of note, well, was for me at least.

5 and 3/4 hours ride time, total time out was 7 hours.

Granted I thought I was smart and took a wrong turn that added about 10-ish km and half an hour-ish to our time :oops: , but it's a long day out none the less. I wouldn't recommend it in summer...the top of the range is about 4m below the sun

Once I've sifted though my GoPro footage, I'll post a better pic or two

Awesome. Would you care to share a strava link? As soon as I'm back on the bike I want to do this.

Awesome. Would you care to share a strava link? As soon as I'm back on the bike I want to do this.

http://www.strava.com/activities/149364142

This is Sean Badenhorst's Strava upload from his ride.

ride with a few mates when doing this, not only to share the experience but you don't want to do this alone! :unsure: