Cycling world Championships - GLASGOW 2023 - Road racing

Vetplant

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

With the Cycling World Champs combined, this thread focuses on the Road cycling portion of the event.

To open the floor, this tweet sums up the Strategy of Team Netherlands:

Any route, I'm Belgium.

Yet hopefully they fail and Alaphilippe wins 🤣

3 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Any route, I'm Belgium.

Yet hopefully they fail and Alaphilippe wins 🤣

WvA and Remco as their main aces, they should be favourites.

I'd personally love it if WvA can win the race, but I think they will need to give Remco the prime tactic as he is defending champ.

2 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

WvA and Remco as their main aces, they should be favourites.

I'd personally love it if WvA can win the race, but I think they will need to give Remco the prime tactic as he is defending champ.

I hope some drunk kids make noise in front of Remco's bedroom, I really really want to see Wout in rainbow, possibly even more than my fellow frenchman Julian

Edited by Jbr

I hope Super Mads or some other relatively unfavored human wins.

I'm not sure why but Remco does not leave me hoping he smashes. I really don't know why.

I'd be stoked with Jalla too, but my bet/pick is an unmarked 'random' 

21 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I hope some drunk kids make noise in front of Remco's bedroom, I really really want to see Wout in rainbow, possibly even more than my fellow frenchman Julian

well, if it's kids from Glasgow and Remco pops out to grab one, it may be the last thing he does for some time...

Joke goes that a Glaswegian was walking down the street and was surprised the guy he spoke to carrying a golf club was actually going to play golf.

9 hours ago, babse said:

I'm in the anyone but Remco boat...

Hoping for a quality race. Wout in stripes would be nice.

One of the 3 'crossers in stripes will be just perfect!!

What is it about Remco that seems to be unpopular. His racing style? He's not a wheelsucker like Vinnygo...

For me he comes across as being a bit cock sure, a trait I'm never a fan of. Funny how everyone likes Pogi and very few Vinny. 

I reckon Remco is a favorite, but would love to see Primoz or Mohoric do it. I doubt Pogi would have the form but would be cool if he could. The Slovenians just seem like nice guys that enjoy their bike racing

9 minutes ago, buckstopper said:

What is it about Remco that seems to be unpopular. His racing style? He's not a wheelsucker like Vinnygo...

For me he comes across as being a bit cock sure, a trait I'm never a fan of. Funny how everyone likes Pogi and very few Vinny. 

I reckon Remco is a favorite, but would love to see Primoz or Mohoric do it. I doubt Pogi would have the form but would be cool if he could. The Slovenians just seem like nice guys that enjoy their bike racing

I remember the first time I heard the name Remco and everyone raving about this amazing talent.
So the very first race (stage) I watch with him in it to win it, he crashes his big crash.  Eish.

But in general, I think it boils down to how your public persona is perceived.  
Pogi is fun, race with his heart.  Almost always smiling and making jokes.  Enjoyment of the sport.  That is why Sagan was so popular also I think.

vs

wheelsucker that is this quiet introvert and races with his head.  

Remco comes off as a cocky little rider and probably has beers with Pidcock over weekends talking smack about their moms.  🤣

I'd love to see Wout in stripes this weekend.  Nice gift for the hard work he did at the TdF and back luck in the sprints there.
Also MvdP would be nice to see after he gave up his ambitions at the Tour to be Jasper's leadout man.

I see Ganna won a bunch sprint last week?..........dark horse right there.  Depends if he will focus on the TT rather I suppose..............

16 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Remco comes off as a cocky little rider and probably has beers with Pidcock over weekends talking smack about their moms.  🤣

If I recall, Pidcock doesn't even drink Coffee, never mind beers or booze.... He is from the North, he drinks Tea!

For me it is probably a combination of his association with Patric Lafevre, his whining and whinging and blaming race organisers and other racers a few times after getting dropped or blowing up and a general 'I'm better than you' attitude he seems to portray.

Whether that is true or not I have no idea. Maybe the media drives it and he is actually a super chilled, rad dude who just believes in his talent and everything him and Pat have put into creating him.