XD vs Microspline

Fisan

Needing to replace my HG Freehub. Thought this may be a good excuse to go 12 speed (or stay with my current 11 speed setup).

Fortunately with Hope its easy to pick any freehub, but that means a new drivetrain...probably. Basically, I see it as one of three options:

- Microspline Freehub + Deore/SLX Cassette + XT RD/ Shifter

- XD Freehub + ?? Cassette + GX RD/Shifter

- XD Freehub + 11 speed Cassette + current 11 shimano setup... upgrade later to 12spd later

Any thoughts, comments, or prayers welcome.

Much of a muchness. Xd casettes cost more, but arguably last longer.  

I guess you get zitto or sunrace versions for cheaper…so more options. If you shop right you can get slx casettes for way less than half a gx one…and they defo arent half as sh!t.

Look nicer for longer too. The black sram cassettes look secondhand after 2 or 3 rides. The black comes off pretty fast. 

Microspline has you pretty much locked in with Shimano cassettes though. 11speed xd wont be that much cheaper eiher. You can get 12spd slx mechs for cheap, deore even less. I wouldnt bother with NX. Not even in the same league as deore for the same money. Do sram even still make them outside of OEM?

I have all three the free hubs for my hopes too( HG, MS, XD)….puts you in a position be the heretic and mix-n-match your drivetrain components as as you please.

You could also get 11-51 11speed and keep your hg freehub. Think thats the deore 5100 set. Another cheap option. Or the 11-51 casette with 11speed XT and a goatlink. 

I generally use my HG freehub for SS things as thats the only freehub that will  easily take SS cogs available locally. 

Anyway, many options to mix and match.

6 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

My opinion:

Go with HG and get yourself a 12 speed Sunrace, Sunshine or whatever generic brand. 

Sales pitch to follow:

I do have everything you need including chains and cassettes :D.

Forgot about the 12speed HG option.

more options

Microspline and XD ties you to a brand. If you keep HG you can go with either brand as you see fit. I don't like corporates trying to keep me loyal to their brand so I guess that is why I won't go with either 😁

@RobertWhitehead @MORNE  Your wisdom please: I'm somewhat in the same boat needing to  upgrade from 10 speed. So if sticking to HG what are the best options from SRAM and Shimano, do they both do HG options? I've tried looking on various websites but the options are confusing and as you say, they're keen to lock you into their preference and thus tend to obscure anything else.

Shimano make a really nice 10 speed 11-46T HG cassette if you on a budget, then you also have the 11 speed option of 11-51T, this will likely need a new derailleur that can do the range up to 51T. Both work on your HG freehub. Think they in the Shimano HG500 range.

On a side note, Shimano 11 speed derailleur work well on a Shimano 10 speed derailleur and cassette.... and dare I say it, I'm very impressed running a SRAM 11 speed derailleur with Shimano 11 shifter on my rig. Bit this is another rabbit hole completely.

1 hour ago, NotShatterProof said:

So this is my opinion, there's going to be lots of other points and or view points but it all depends on what you want to spend and or whether you are looking at keeping up with the Jones' 

Budget option

Get a wide range 10 speed cassette and change the front with a NW ring (oval works quite well) 

Mid-range option

Loose the 10 speed completely and go with an 11 speed. This will mean, new chain, cassette, NW ring, rear mech and shifter 

Expensive option

Swop the 10 speed for 12 speed and this will be exactly the same as the mid range but you will have one more gear :thumbup:

Sales pitch

I have everything mentioned above and can even fit it for you or teach you how to do it 

Also remember on hg and microspline freehub/cassette options you can replace the 2 or 3 smallest cogs on the cassette. Xd / sram is one unit, so cogs can't be replaced individually 

5 hours ago, NotShatterProof said:

@RobertWhitehead @MORNE  Your wisdom please: I'm somewhat in the same boat needing to  upgrade from 10 speed. So if sticking to HG what are the best options from SRAM and Shimano, do they both do HG options? I've tried looking on various websites but the options are confusing and as you say, they're keen to lock you into their preference and thus tend to obscure anything else.

maybe a dumb question, but why would you need to upgrade... peer pressure?

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

Is this about going 12sp, going 29'r, going 780 to 800 bars, the need for 2. over 2.4 rubber, 36mm legs or just the need to go from 150mm to 170mm+ in the WC? 😁

Microspline as I am a shimano fan. Value wise you can get a higher spec group set in shimano than in sram. On the entry level side Sram SX and NX shifter and Derailiuer is a waste of money as they are made 50% + out of plastic and wont last, GX is alright. in Shimano from Deore and up is bomb proof as they use durable aluminum and steel.

The reason why Sram cassettes are expensive is because their manufacturing method uses a longer machine time to get to their finished product.

19 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I would not say peer pressure (I wish I had someone to ride with). I'm struggling to find good spares, that is the main reason. I'm currently running a 1x10 SRAM setup on a 29er. I commute daily so the spares turnover is an issue. I'm happy with 1x10 (more than good enough for greater JHB region). I'm also happy with my wheels (which are HG) and would prefer not to spend money buying a new hub (or freehub). Nevertheless, I'm open to suggestions/criticism. 

18 hours ago, Dirt Tracker said:

Is this about going 12sp, going 29'r, going 780 to 800 bars, the need for 2. over 2.4 rubber, 36mm legs or just the need to go from 150mm to 170mm+ in the WC? 😁

Sho. Let me answer one at a time. 12sp is optional, 11sp is also fine. I am on a 29er. I have 780 and could not imagine wangling 800 bars through traffic. I would love 2.4 but they just-just don't fit. I cannot imagine 150mm of travel, nevermind 170mm, I'm on a hardtail ( and sometimes SS) and would not change it for the world. I don't have the guts or skill for the kind of thing that requires 170mm of travel. Finally, at my age the WC is something you watch on TV 🙂