94.7 shocking stadium security!

Emazing

This was posted on a bike group  - Heads up, chaps*- today at the 94,7, after receiving your medal and coke and walking 20m out where non-riders are waiting for you ( there are lots of people as you pass the turnstile pillars) a big chap grabbed the riders bike’s front wheel and lifted it said “nice  wheel or something distracting “( rider was walking) at the same time his partner in crime from behind remove his Cell Phone from the back of his jersey, fortunately, he felt it. He gave him as best he could. An accommodating fellow gave him a few slaps, and the 6 (six) security guards , some who were fatter than fat, all walked around in circles with their walkie-talkies and did absolutely nothing and sent him on his way. The rider went back a hour later except for the fellow that was caught the other criminals were back! It is hard to believe.  

He call security six times, but no one ever called him back. He takes to Sipo and Mogla. Note this seems to be common practice as you finish a race and you tired and you’re not concentrating, so please make a note as soon as you finish to move your cell phone to the front of your bib. Several people also got pickpocketed of their wallets, and I believe 20 vehicles were broken into. The security at this event needs to be addressed; please be very careful in the future.

The security company needs to be fired or expect a big crime spree at the next 94.7. The people witnesses said they have never seen such gross incompetence why they had paid these people to do security no one can understand what were they actually doing? 

I urge everybody to share this so they can be improvement and people don’t get their possessions and cell phones stolen and the security company takes it more seriously and hopefully it’s another security company altogether!!!  

Please if other people have had their cell phones stolen or other positions stolen to post on the Hub on this thread  as important to understand how many people fell victim to these criminals due to the poor security service! 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw the same thing at Ironman. A drunk guy threatening to stab people around him. I call the 3 municipal security guards, who carry on their conversation and take a slow stroll to the drunk guy. 

I seen the commotion as I was riding back to the car. Funny thing is they just pushed the oke out of the gates and then he took a small stroll and waited further up the road, probably to return a few minutes later i guess. Not enough police presence there to deal with anything. 

The security guards in the blue and Green yellow parking spaces were shady as hell. They were opportunistic and were irritating everyone, I seen a few people tell them k@k. They all had different reflective vests on trying to look the part and make a quick buck. I was fortunate to park at the red parking bay, closer to the sasol, the guards there were what I assume the official security guards, with matching reflective vests and were quite polite. They didn't even ask for a cent. However the ride from the stadium till the car had me on high alert as I felt like I was about go get jacked. 

I really hope they sort out the security there. It can make a good Day turn into a an absolute nightmare. 

My team manager, went out and asked woman alone in their cars whether they were harrased by security guards for 50 rands and all of them confirmed that security guards did demand 50 rands.

I also went to the car and little children asked for money(why are they even there), later on a car guard stood closeby to me and asked for food and drinks as it was hot and he was hungry.

Please guys I'm not paying to get robbed next time, let's get this sorted for next time?

32 minutes ago, SpierPaleis said:

My team manager, went out and asked woman alone in their cars whether they were harrased by security guards for 50 rands and all of them confirmed that security guards did demand 50 rands.

I also went to the car and little children asked for money(why are they even there), later on a car guard stood closeby to me and asked for food and drinks as it was hot and he was hungry.

Please guys I'm not paying to get robbed next time, let's get this sorted for next time?

The yellow parking had clowns asking for R100. They had printed receipts and demanding R100 for parking got very stroppy when i told him the many ways he could go f@1k himself. 

Yep my buddy also got his cell phone stolen exactly where it was described in the information above. I heard they were number of issues with the cars being parked this is definitely not a venue for the 94.7 it needs to be moved it’s not safe and they must move it back to Woodmead. 

Just a small anecdote of my experience.
I managed to find parking without any of the 'car guards' noticing and directing me to a spot.
As I was getting ready to leave, a lady parked next to me with a 'car guard' following.
The 'guard' immediately told the lady that she needed to pay R100 up front, handing here a printed piece of paper. I told her that there's no need to pay, parking is free and told off the 'guard'. He then tried to convince the lady I was lying and that you have to pay. At one point trying to convince me to help him out in scamming the lady.
I kept challenging him and at so he got frustrated, threatening that my car wouldn't be safe. I made sure to make a big commotion about it and as soon as other's took notice he backed down quickly. Thankfully my car was parked in a space that was quite visible so didn't really stress too much about them doing anything to it.
The thing though was that even the security in the area were trying to convince the lady that she needed to pay, and as soon as we challenged them, they quietly slipped away.
100% the security are a part of it and are getting a cut.
Also noticed a lot of unsavory types lurking around the parked cars after the race and a surprising lack of security.
Definitely agree that something needs to be done. Last year was the same circus.
No one wants to deal with that type of BS on a day that is meant to be fun and challenging.

50 minutes ago, Forthefun said:

Yep my buddy also got his cell phone stolen exactly where it was described in the information above. I heard they were number of issues with the cars being parked this is definitely not a venue for the 94.7 it needs to be moved it’s not safe and they must move it back to Woodmead. 

i dont think moving to Woodmead is the solution. i did the Soweto Marathon at the same venue on 5 Nov and there were no security issues whatsoever. the organiser must fire the current security company. they are clearly not doing their job

Way to many unsavory people and fake care gaurds- careless security staff - they either move it to safer place or I am not going to ride this race again - why it’s just to dangerous and risky - the way to avoid crime is by voting with your wallet ( if it does not get stolen ) and using your head! 

I also can’t take the risk of driving around for an extra half an hour as no signage was put up after the highway 🛣️ this race is tainted by the city council inability to do anything properly. 

I am out and will do other races like ride for sight and Monti as well as the best race well organized race the Cape Cycle Race - this is in a city but you feel safe as the police do there job ( I did see 12 fat police in big van ) cruising around eating kfc ) doing f all as expected!  

Very sad as the route is great but now the risk to high. 

It's not a great venue I'm afraid. Crime is everywhere but there are no real pluses to having it at the stadium. 

Yes its no appealing venue at all - the venue is real a drag- run down full of vagrants and crime ridden , poor parking area miles from the start , difficult to get into the stadium f all police doing there job - way way to risky. why should anyone fell unsafe on a race day!!!!! 

My club will not do this ride again- to much at stake with getting there , parking and then the chance of mugging.