My western cape gravel bikepacking route

valen_tin

44 minutes ago, Dicky DQ said:

…and tends to blow a gail in the afternoon. But if it is not blowing, it will be awesome….

Unsure who Gail is? ;) Just be aware, it can also blow a G-A-L-E out that way, in the afternoon… :)

Edited by Zebra
Spelling

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Skubarra said:

I hope you were just being modest when you said you are decently trained... Because that is an incredibly punishing schedule for a bike packing trip. Even without he headwinds, summer heat & corrugations - you are looking at a very tough 8 days. All the best!

Agree, This is a ±1090 km trek.  At 23kph = 47 riding hrs = 6 hrs per day.

Similar to the Epic... 

9 minutes ago, Underachiever said:

Agree, This is a ±1090 km trek.  At 23kph = 47 riding hrs = 6 hrs per day.

Similar to the Epic... 

With a loaded touring bike on that type of terrain I think optimistically you look at 20kph even for a strong cyclist, so yes 6 to 8 hours riding per day excluding stops. Tough ask to do 8 days in a row.

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

With a loaded touring bike on that type of terrain I think optimistically you look at 20kph even for a strong cyclist, so yes 6 to 8 hours riding per day excluding stops. Tough ask to do 8 days in a row.

that doesnt sound like my kind of adverture... 

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

That sounds like it could be quite challenging for me.
But someone like Benky may feel differently.

20 hours ago, Skubarra said:

I hope you were just being modest when you said you are decently trained... Because that is an incredibly punishing schedule for a bike packing trip. Even without he headwinds, summer heat & corrugations - you are looking at a very tough 8 days. All the best!

I'm with @Skubarra on this one. "Very tough 8 days" is putting it mildly, but if you are extremely fit and up for the challenge, then go for it. 🙂 

Question

If you leave at 5am and only ride for 6 to 8 hours, what do you do for the rest of the day?

I'd have thought you ride, stop for lunch, have a nap under a tree, get to your destination at like 4pm, shower, eat, snooze, then go again?

It's a bike tour, I'd expect to be on the bike most of the time, unless you book in for lunch time wine tasting along the way

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Question

If you leave at 5am and only ride for 6 to 8 hours, what do you do for the rest of the day?

I'd have thought you ride, stop for lunch, have a nap under a tree, get to your destination at like 4pm, shower, eat, snooze, then go again?

It's a bike tour, I'd expect to be on the bike most of the time, unless you book in for lunch time wine tasting along the way

Correct. Get to your overnight spot, wash clothes, rest, eat, nap. Repeat the next day. 

If you are fit, well-conditioned, and comfortable on the bike (saddle), then I find that your body gets into a rhythm after a few days and you can just keep going day after day (you will still have good and bad days). If you are not fit and not comfortable on the bike, then the aches, pain, and suffering can start to put a dampener on the fun of bike touring. 

9 minutes ago, Stephan said:

Correct. Get to your overnight spot, wash clothes, rest, eat, nap. Repeat the next day. 

If you are fit, well-conditioned, and comfortable on the bike (saddle), then I find that your body gets into a rhythm after a few days and you can just keep going day after day (you will still have good and bad days). If you are not fit and not comfortable on the bike, then the aches, pain, and suffering can start to put a dampener on the fun of bike touring. 

I do understand that bit, I have done a number of trips as well as RASA, trans NZ, many expeditions and lots of overnight multi day rides.

I'm more trying to understand the whole 6 to 8 hours a day thing. I'd prefer to ride 12 hours a day, take in the sites and sounds, smash some midday naps at a picnic spot and ride longer unless there are activities planned.

Moving 50% to 100% slower makes it a far less strenuous trip with more stops, time off the bike during the day, easier to recover etc. 

18 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I do understand that bit, I have done a number of trips as well as RASA, trans NZ, many expeditions and lots of overnight multi day rides.

I'm more trying to understand the whole 6 to 8 hours a day thing. I'd prefer to ride 12 hours a day, take in the sites and sounds, smash some midday naps at a picnic spot and ride longer unless there are activities planned.

Moving 50% to 100% slower makes it a far less strenuous trip with more stops, time off the bike during the day, easier to recover etc. 

We are hijacking the OPs thread but I think the great thing about bikepacking is that unlike a race or organised event there is no fixed way to do it, you plan your days to suit the type of riding you prefer.

6 to 8 hours might not sound too much but add an hour for lunch, another hour for stops + extra time in case you take a wrong turn / detour + reserve time to deal with potential mechanicals and very easily you are into a potential 12 hour day on the bike. 

23 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Question

If you leave at 5am and only ride for 6 to 8 hours, what do you do for the rest of the day? Drink beer. Obviously.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I started my trip today and rode from Simondium (close to Stellenbosch/Franschhoek) to Napier. Thanks to road closures on franschhoek pass and van de stel pass, there was not much traffic. Gail blew quite hard, but rather from the south. The gravel roads around here are really awesome, but also quite bumpy, which killed my canyon garmin mount. In summary, a fantsatic day. My legs feel good despite the heat.. and offseason in germany.

I'll not post here every day, but you can follow me on Strava, if interested.
https://strava.app.link/2wuxsm4X9Gb

Thanks again for your help!

1 hour ago, valen_tin said:

Hi all,

I started my trip today and rode from Simondium (close to Stellenbosch/Franschhoek) to Napier. Thanks to road closures on franschhoek pass and van de stel pass, there was not much traffic. Gail blew quite hard, but rather from the south. The gravel roads around here are really awesome, but also quite bumpy, which killed my canyon garmin mount. In summary, a fantsatic day. My legs feel good despite the heat.. and offseason in germany.

Great . Keep posting 

2 hours ago, valen_tin said:

Hi all,

Had the same thing happen to my Garmin mount, can potentially help you if you pass through Swellendam.

Edit: And following on Strava, enjoy!

Edited by Roul