the unofficial Cape Epic 2024 thread

Shebeen

Is there a leading motorbike uphead that would give these backmarkers a warning that the pro's are coming? They would obviously hear the helicopter as well, but this looks like a route-planning mess. The backmarkers are going to bundu-bash up that trail now because there is going to be a constant stream of riders coming down. 

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent voice notes to my mates/ riders last night warning them about the wagon trail pass and congestion. One oke thought I was over the top. I’m keen to get the feedback call at 17:00 assuming they’re back at Saronsberg by then 😂

I was one of the tail enders going up and down Ou Wapad in 2016

There were no problems with two-way traffic.

Being chased by a swarm of irate bees might have helped with a speedy climb😃

20 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

So what 

does an amateur now have to wait for 5 hours to let everyone pass down and then start ? 

Race officials are gona have a field day with cutoff's today 

Cock up of note, backmarkers might as well pur bike on back and hike a bike straight up the mountain and ignore the marked route. Is this the EPIC or the Freedom Challenge :)

So 4 hrs 5min for winners , I reocn i would be lucky to do a third of that over that course 

eish ......looooooong day ahead for those backmarkers 

#untamed

22 minutes ago, bolt67 said:

Cock up of note, backmarkers might as well pur bike on back and hike a bike straight up the mountain and ignore the marked route. Is this the EPIC or the Freedom Challenge :)

Listen we must be grateful we have this race hey, don’t complain about foopups

2 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I wonder how that stuff up happened. Pros too fast or back markers too slow?

3 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Not complaining as i am not riding :) :)

44 minutes ago, Stephan said:

Is there a leading motorbike uphead that would give these backmarkers a warning that the pro's are coming? They would obviously hear the helicopter as well, but this looks like a route-planning mess. The backmarkers are going to bundu-bash up that trail now because there is going to be a constant stream of riders coming down. 

last start was 8:15according to Sabine/Gerald. so if my sums are right it has taken the backmarker 2:15 when their ~17km met up with the elites at ~84km using the same trail. 

maybe it is silly to send the race up/down a hiking trail?

maybe the slow guys are just too slow?

8 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

last start was 8:15according to Sabine/Gerald. so if my sums are right it has taken the backmarker 2:15 when their ~17km met up with the elites at ~84km using the same trail. 

maybe it is silly to send the race up/down a hiking trail?

maybe the slow guys are just too slow?

In 2016 they made the same balls up, except we had a 110km day and got stung broken by a brazillion angry bees before we hit the wagon trail. I would have expected they had learned from the 2016 experience and shortened the time between the groups departure. 
Also it’s a flipped hard climb and people walking it was inevitable 

28 minutes ago, W@nted said:

I wonder how that stuff up happened. Pros too fast or back markers too slow?

Backmarkers are too slow but the start times are also too spread out. Lastgriup leaves 1h20 after the elite groups. Those elites are on top of the wagon trail by then. 
the course also gains inclination from the start line to the foot of the wagon trail where it kicks up hard and just gets steeper till you are forced to walk. The back markers start their walk about 1.5km earlier than the elites because it’s quite technical and steep. It’s also 10 degrees hotter by 8:20 compared to 07:00