the unofficial Cape Epic 2024 thread

Shebeen

7 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

38t for Grotts while Matt seems to alternate sizes. According to some of the team staff, did some bike checks yesterday. 

Please share links to some of those bike checks.

Prefer reading and drooling over the pictures than watching a vid, but looks like those days are also passing.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, DJuice said:

Please share links to some of those bike checks.

Prefer reading and drooling over the pictures than watching a vid, but looks like those days are also passing.

Ya, like the vids but it's a very different consumption, plenty demand for copy/photos though. Still correlating a lot of stuff among other work, but here's Impey's bike. Nothing spectacular customisation wise, but I quite like it for the fact that it's essentially stock off the floor and good enough for a WT pro. 
Theres a bunch of stuff from last year as well. 

https://off.road.cc/content/feature/bike-check-daryl-impeys-scott-spark-rc-900-world-cup-edition-14595

8 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Ya, like the vids but it's a very different consumption, plenty demand for copy/photos though. Still correlating a lot of stuff among other work, but here's Impey's bike. Nothing spectacular customisation wise, but I quite like it for the fact that it's essentially stock off the floor and good enough for a WT pro. 
Theres a bunch of stuff from last year as well. 

https://off.road.cc/content/feature/bike-check-daryl-impeys-scott-spark-rc-900-world-cup-edition-14595

Thank you DD

Fini did a lot of what looked like relieving/ stretching today during the stage, something doesn't seem lekker after a few days. Next 2 days are not exactly going offer much respite. 

I think the overall GC winner may come to who is stronger of Fini or Grotts.

My money is on Grotts, although Fini seems thoroughly deserving too, loved the F-bomb on live interview.

Nino and Beers on another level altogether.  

Core, manufacturer of the Core body temperature sensor has announced an official sponsorship of 10 UCI WorldTour teams for 2024, as well as issuing an additional 150 new sensors this season to other WorldTour riders. The Core sensor is a small wearable unit that uses Bluetooth or ANT+ signals to provide accurate core temperature, skin temperature, heat strain index and heat strain scores. The unit itself is built with a Swiss-made Calera thermal energy transfer sensor. -

Sauce: CyclingNews

I wonder whether there are any athletes using this technology and tool during the Cape Epic. On a related note, glucose monitoring devices have been banned by the UCI recently.

Will there be more twists and turns in both categories? You betcha.

Hard to believe it's Beers and Grotto's first stage win. 

Pic: @CapeEpic

Image-41.png

Edited by 'Dale

I love how The Bulls Masters are 28th after 5 days and dealing out hurt to many at 46 and 49.

Karl Platt still with that trademark massive smile and beaming eyes. The dude just loves this so much. 

I’m so proud of Matt, he managed to crack a visible smile. Reminded me of Arnie Playing the Terminator 

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

I love how The Bulls Masters are 28th after 5 days and dealing out hurt to many at 46 and 49.

Karl Platt still with that trademark massive smile and beaming eyes. The dude just loves this so much. 

When you have 25 hrs a week to train you can work miracles 

add in the love and you have platt

There seems to be a hell of a lot of that going around! Post covid effects?

Medics at the epic seem to be on the lookout or very precautionary when riders are feeling ill. They're using the ECG around the clock

48 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

There seems to be a hell of a lot of that going around! Post covid effects?

Medics at the epic seem to be on the lookout or very precautionary when riders are feeling ill. They're using the ECG around the clock

Previously the rule was that if they put you on a drip, you're out. Meant lots of riders thought twice about going to see the medics when they had the runs.

Understand that was revised last year, where you could go back the next day and get the OK from doc's to ride

21 minutes ago, Ozzie NL said:

Previously the rule was that if they put you on a drip, you're out. Meant lots of riders thought twice about going to see the medics when they had the runs.

Understand that was revised last year, where you could go back the next day and get the OK from doc's to ride

Ya the rule was your 2nd visit to the medics tent for a drip would result in exclusion from the event, not at the first, Pack bags, the doctor has spoken.

I needed the medic tent in 2008 after stage 2 when we had a 135km day with over 3000m climbing in 42C degree heat over the Gamkaberg. Think I got two or three  bags administered that night. They said that's it can't come back in or they with draw me.

In 2016 I should have taken the drip after stage 2 so I could eat. Instead i waited too long. Same story, extreme heat, it was a 44C day

12 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Ya the rule was your 2nd visit to the medics tent for a drip would result in exclusion from the event, not at the first, Pack bags, the doctor has spoken.

can i just bring my own doctor to administer my drips in the comfort of my air BnB instead?

Competition looks meh this year. Only 10 teams within 1 hour of the leaders, and the 4th team 20 minutes down.

Edited by dev null

1 hour ago, peepeekaitjie said:

can i just bring my own doctor to administer my drips in the comfort of my air BnB instead?

Yes actually you could have done that lol