Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

1 hour ago, Wannabe said:

Sorry to derail the current hot topic, but I must just feel a bit sorry for myself. 

I WILL NOT BE DOING MY 20TH CONSECUTIVE ARGUS/CTCT THIS YEAR. (would have been my 21st was it not for the two cancelled years) My goal was to do 21 in a row, and then close the Argus/CTCT chapter. 

I had an emergency Laminectomy last week Tuesday after a bulging lumbar disc almost completely squashed my Sciatic nerve. (whilst doing my morning ablutions and getting comfy on the throne before my ride😪...) 

So I'm basically bedridden for three weeks, then rehab and only after about three months can I slowly get going on the trainer again.

But I must admit, the discomfort from the operation wound is a LOT better than that searing pain running from my glute all the way down to my calf. It was hell, I did not know how to sit, stand or lay down without the most excruciating pain.

But fear not, I'll be back for no. 20 next year......

All the best @Wannabe - unfortunately now you have to do another 20 in a row before you can close that chapter....😉

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

That sucks ....

Speedy recovery.

Any chance of a very slow cruise on an ebike ? 

Unfortunately, not. Too soon to sit in a forward crouched position for any length of time. Only allowed to sit upright after three weeks from date of procedure.

On 2/6/2024 at 12:56 PM, HOEKVLAG said:

Best app for tracking is Life360. Our whole family has it installed on various Samsung and Apple phones.

On 2/6/2024 at 1:12 PM, Skubarra said:

Man I hated that app, found it to be very intrusive. Don't want to know every time one of my family members strays a few meters from the house. Maybe there are some settings I misssed to make it less annoying but was just easier to delete it.

Ah man that app lasted not even a week on our phones. It chowed my battery very quickly and made my phone really hot. 

Hi guys

Has anyone got a size large road bike that they would be willing to rent to me for the period of 8th March - 11 March (collect + return in the morning).

I am riding the Argus as my first race, and I have just started riding as of the end of last year. I live in Durban and would prefer to not transport my bike as the costs are quite substantial.

I have had a look at all of the bike rental websites and they all seem to be fairly pricey as well, hence the reach out. 

Looking forward to hearing back, thanks all.

On 2/8/2024 at 4:42 PM, Wannabe said:

Sorry to derail the current hot topic, but I must just feel a bit sorry for myself. 

I WILL NOT BE DOING MY 20TH CONSECUTIVE ARGUS/CTCT THIS YEAR. (would have been my 21st was it not for the two cancelled years) My goal was to do 21 in a row, and then close the Argus/CTCT chapter. 

I had an emergency Laminectomy last week Tuesday after a bulging lumbar disc almost completely squashed my Sciatic nerve. (whilst doing my morning ablutions and getting comfy on the throne before my ride😪...) 

So I'm basically bedridden for three weeks, then rehab and only after about three months can I slowly get going on the trainer again.

But I must admit, the discomfort from the operation wound is a LOT better than that searing pain running from my glute all the way down to my calf. It was hell, I did not know how to sit, stand or lay down without the most excruciating pain.

Damn, had similar procedure a few years ago, nerve was also completely impacted, the pain is the worst ever!  and surgery was also the only option, all the best with your recovery 

44 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

The essence of the Argus captured in a remarkable image. 

IMG_5624.jpeg

I mean, to each their own, but I would recommend riding with two wheels rather than just carrying your one-wheeler to the finish.

On 2/8/2024 at 4:42 PM, Wannabe said:

Been through this procedure 3 bloody times (1994, 2008 & 2013), fortunately life can be back to normal after 6-8 weeks……. just do the recovery rehab exercise sessions!

10 hours ago, 'Dale said:

IMG_5624.jpeg

Took me a second to realise he’s carrying a tandem😅. First i was like why does he have clipless shoes when he clearly has straps on the pedals. One would think the two sets of cranks and handlebars would be a dead give away….but NO, instead my brain went straight for the thing that looked the most out of place🤣

Anyway, this man didnt want his backseat diesel engine going anywhere…so he strapped it/them to the pedals. The horsepower is what broke that wheel….😎

Edited by MORNE

20 minutes ago, K20Champ said:

When will seedings be sent out?

What's the wind prediction?

You're seriously asking for a wind forecast for something a full calendar month away?

ok fine, I have a 99% confidence it will range from 0-45knots, with direction within the 0-359' window.

Edited by Shebeen

17 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

You're seriously asking for a wind forecast for something a full calendar month away?

ok fine, I have a 99% confidence it will range from 0-45knots, with direction within the 0-359' window.

Seeding question was a serious 1.

The wind was just there to blow things around😃

53 minutes ago, K20Champ said:

When will seedings be sent out?

What's the wind prediction?

bwahaha - first weather prediction for the Argus being asked for

.Its an inverse law. The weather will be inverse to the amount of training you put in - if you trained your mielie off then it will be super *** and wet and windy. If you didnt train it will be the best ride ever. And the wether gods can see your secret training so dont go sneaking in some extra miles casue that just adds to their anger.

On 2/10/2024 at 8:48 PM, 'Dale said:

IMG_5624.jpeg

Wtf is his rear wheel 👀🫣🤣🤣🤣

edit: I realized now he might have started the race with his wife… 

ended in divorce and she took the rear wheel 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😇

Edited by throttles