Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I need to update some kit that is starting to look tatty. Is the expo worth a shot or do I just follow my instinct and order online? Has anyone ventured through the expo, and was it worth it?

A few mild discounts, but it'll depend on what you're looking for and how late you get there. Pretty sure most of the big guys will have plenty  of stock.

1 hour ago, KidCharlemagne said:

Lakeside must be 20-plus kays. A great warm-up though. 

Ya you’re right , 22km to be exact 

I got peanuts lol.

Last year I rode to the start from table view, there was a bit of a headwind which meant my calculations weren't really spot on and I only got there 10 mins before the start but had to muscle my way through 1000 people in all the chutes, the year before we could go straight to the front but last year they wouldn't let me so had to go the long way. Ended up starting the race at 170bpm. Not keen to do the same thing this year. But you are right, if there's one race you want to be properly warmed up for it's cycle tour, because it starts full gas from the gun (or at least from the moment the car lets us race)

1 hour ago, droo said:

A few mild discounts, but it'll depend on what you're looking for and how late you get there. Pretty sure most of the big guys will have plenty  of stock.

I decided to rather think long term and just ordered a pair of new skoene from Leatt. I also need a new pair of shorts, but I need to fit before I buy so for that I'll visit the LBS rather.

20 hours ago, Hamstring said:

IMG_6335.jpeg

Nice to see another 3E rider here on the forums

Dropping back (don't no how far yet) we 8 of us do it as a Tour with Breakfast lunch and non alcohol beer on all 6 stages.🙈 

3 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I need to update some kit that is starting to look tatty. Is the expo worth a shot or do I just follow my instinct and order online? Has anyone ventured through the expo, and was it worth it?

My wife bought a PnP sweater 🫣

On 2/21/2024 at 3:20 PM, Stevie G said:

I'm about 1.65m

Got a bike for you if you've still got your entry. DM me if you're keen.

People - please let those you know or yourselves heed this note in the brief for any of the top groups --->>>>

"Hospital Bend

The descent of Hospital bend (after 5km from the start) is extremely fast and narrow. After the crash in 1A last year we have re-designed the layout at the top of the hill to force you into 2 lanes BEFORE the downhill commences. You will be forced into only 2 lanes at the top because that is the width that is available at the bottom. DO NOT attempt to go outside any barriers or to change lanes (there are cateyes - see below), or to use the 3rd lane that is briefly available on the right for part of the descent (that will be coned off as well). These are all likely to cause a crash at the point where the road narrows back to 2 lanes or if a cone gets knocked into the flow of cyclists.  You should be able to ride the entire descent without the need to change your line."

And in case you were wandering what they were talking about (im the rider in Black in the centre of the video - i remember the sound of crumbling carbon and heads hitting the tarmac vividly behind me ...):

5 minutes ago, Kom said:

People - please let those you know or yourselves heed this note in the brief for any of the top groups --->>>>

"Hospital Bend

The descent of Hospital bend (after 5km from the start) is extremely fast and narrow. After the crash in 1A last year we have re-designed the layout at the top of the hill to force you into 2 lanes BEFORE the downhill commences. You will be forced into only 2 lanes at the top because that is the width that is available at the bottom. DO NOT attempt to go outside any barriers or to change lanes (there are cateyes - see below), or to use the 3rd lane that is briefly available on the right for part of the descent (that will be coned off as well). These are all likely to cause a crash at the point where the road narrows back to 2 lanes or if a cone gets knocked into the flow of cyclists.  You should be able to ride the entire descent without the need to change your line."

And in case you were wandering what they were talking about (im the rider in Black in the centre of the video - i remember the sound of crumbling carbon and heads hitting the tarmac vividly behind me ...):

jaysus you were flippen close there -  that's not even going downhill properly yet. crash at 44km/h.

2 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

jaysus you were flippen close there -  that's not even going downhill properly yet. crash at 44km/h.

NGL last year felt like we had really mis-matched riders in the group in terms of seeding. Not just the usual zig-zagging you see from the newbie's, but the total lack of fitness getting up Edinburgh drive.

With finish time being quite resolute on their seedings for this year (so far), im interested to see how 400 of us in one batch handle the start into Muizenburg.

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

Mention of cones on the side of the road makes me nervous. Cones have no place next to a peleton IMO 

Was thinking the same thing - just takes that one guy to clip a cone into the group and the race officials will be standing there thinking HTF do we get that wrong ! 🤨