Highest carbs / 100 gram or serving products that don’t cost the earth

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

agreed. My point was eg. that 2 gels and 2 bananas might be the happy medium if you want energy and on a budget. - especially if you're at a race with waterpoints.

That's good to know, happy in the knowledge you have spreadsheeted the cowturd out of this one!

not sure where I heard this but it was a few years ago, apparently these were secret weapon in the propeleton. Guys would clear out the garage stores on a training rides that went too far.

Haribo - Happy Cola 30 x 80 g

Here is where the math kicks then and it becomes more complex.

For 80grams of carbs, you can get maurten which is an eye watering R64 a bottle. 

But 2 PVM gels are R70 and you only get 44grams carbs. Now the "expensive product" is actually cheaper in a way. But you don't want to ride only on liquid carbs as it can really throw your stomach out, gels are better and then solid food even better. But it is not as simple as just finding cheap carbs. But ya big rabbit holes.
For me I like a bar/date ball/banana/solid and a carb drink on the bike. Running roads I realised with the availability of water along the way and relative short but intense marathon gels was easiest to carry to hit targets.
For day to day training biogen pure mixed heave can get you to 45grams a bottle, 60 is you can handle a sweet taste for a lot less cost that maurten. Then bring out the big guns race day.

Haribo is similar carbs to weight ratio as a PVM gel, so 25-30grams of Haribo is like a gel

Just a side note and the reason for my spreadsheeting. With resupply boxes being weighed at more and more AR events. You can survive on a single pair of shorts and cycle shorts, wear 1 shirt the whole time and 1 pair of shoes. The place where we all removed weight out the box at WC was food, and then we suffered with an extra long route. So the thinking was to rank foods as carbs per gram of food and pack cleverly saving space in resupply boxes. Drinks and Gels, haribo are the way to do it. Freeze dried meals for transition/once or twice a day and then gels and sugars for the rest and make sure your stomach is good to handle it( you will end up with jippo guts from the paddle anyway)

I thought Comrades would be a race of attrition, it's more about the nutrition actually!

12 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Just a side note and the reason for my spreadsheeting. With resupply boxes being weighed at more and more AR events. You can survive on a single pair of shorts and cycle shorts, wear 1 shirt the whole time and 1 pair of shoes. The place where we all removed weight out the box at WC was food, and then we suffered with an extra long route. So the thinking was to rank foods as carbs per gram of food and pack cleverly saving space in resupply boxes. Drinks and Gels, haribo are the way to do it. Freeze dried meals for transition/once or twice a day and then gels and sugars for the rest and make sure your stomach is good to handle it( you will end up with jippo guts from the paddle anyway)

With reference to ARWC specifically, being limited to 5kg per person (for the one resupply box) was a joke for that length of race. I almost froze to death and definitely starved because of this, (despite bending the rules by placing stuff in bike boxes after they had been weighed and transported).

But I did have loads of "heavy" food to bring home with me. I don't think the ethos should be that lightweight expensive stuff is the only answer, it is very exclusionary.

I thought Comrades would be a race of attrition, it's more about the nutrition actually!

endurance races are actually secret eating races !!

Look, this isn't fancy, but it gets the job done:

https://runographer.com/2015/12/homemade-sports-drink-for-the-ultimate-diy-running-nutrition/

And it comes in at under R4 per 60g portion. I add some Oros for taste, and it's not too sweet owing to the maltodextrin. Get the dextrose / malto / citric acid from a brewer's store like cactuscraft. The only thing I struggled with was the low-sodium salt for some reason, but found it at a random Spar. It has sodium and potassium, and you can play with the concentration based on your sweat rate / concentration. It doesn't have magnesium, but you can probably get that from your food or supplements.

It's so cheap that I don't feel bad using it for every training session, which means I can go harder and recover quicker. And I can spend a bit more to get the good gels for outside rides (nothing beats SiS in my limited experience).

Edited by dexterdent
Bad math

1 hour ago, dexterdent said:

Look, this isn't fancy, but it gets the job done:

https://runographer.com/2015/12/homemade-sports-drink-for-the-ultimate-diy-running-nutrition/

And it comes in at under R4 per 60g portion. I add some Oros for taste, and it's not too sweet owing to the maltodextrin. Get the dextrose / malto / citric acid from a brewer's store like cactuscraft. The only thing I struggled with was the low-sodium salt for some reason, but found it at a random Spar. It has sodium and potassium, and you can play with the concentration based on your sweat rate / concentration. It doesn't have magnesium, but you can probably get that from your food or supplements.

It's so cheap that I don't feel bad using it for every training session, which means I can go harder and recover quicker. And I can spend a bit more to get the good gels for outside rides (nothing beats SiS in my limited experience).

Whats the longest multi-hour session you would have/will do before an endurance event of >6hrs? And how frequently will you attempt that volume to establish your nutrition approach actually works?

Kudos to you if you actually periodise your nutrition training leading up to an event, my suspicion is that many of us (especially myself) dont do enough of this, so when a multi hour event doesnt pan out as expected, we might discount that we had actually not ever trained for that volume of exertion in the first place.

I haven't really done much over 6 hours - maybe a couple of rides in total. I am planning some later in the year (let's see if gravel is as fun as it looks), but most of my training has only been to try and look as cool as possible going up chappies every weekend. I suspect I'm not fitting a gravel 100miler in under 6 hours though.

Weekday sessions are usually indoor ~1 hour with a single bottle of mix (I try and do a bit of zone 2, but I also need some joy in my life so often do more fun things like races or alpe du zwift PB attempts), and weekend rides are typically 4 hours with two bottles and one gel per hour (160g from extra strong mix and 22g per gel). I also have some whey protein after a ride (PSN LIfestyle on takealot).

I tried using a variety of "real" foods but it just didn't work for me. I aim for 8-9 hours per week, the most I can fit into my schedule.

Since I got this sorted, I recover much faster and no longer have headaches the rest of the day after a long ride. I am however not advocating that this is the best or even a good approach - it just works for me and my particular situation. It's also really cheap :)

I can imagine getting to longer durations will need a different approach - I just don't like stopping mid-ride.

Mix white sugar (I use 40g/hr at 200w for training over 2 hours) into water and heat and dissolve. Then put into a soft flask and use like a gel during the ride.

1 hour ago, Kom said:

Whats the longest multi-hour session you would have/will do before an endurance event of >6hrs? And how frequently will you attempt that volume to establish your nutrition approach actually works?

Kudos to you if you actually periodise your nutrition training leading up to an event, my suspicion is that many of us (especially myself) dont do enough of this, so when a multi hour event doesnt pan out as expected, we might discount that we had actually not ever trained for that volume of exertion in the first place.

Heaven forbid you actually do put in the hours.  Work at getting the recipe right ....

Come race day a red mist settles in and all planning is forgotten, to bonk 2 hours later .. ...

Now I ride to the interval alarms on Garmin.

On 4/29/2024 at 5:02 PM, Pandatron said:

having ballooned to 107kg of extreme performance and then cut down to 79kg. Weight loss and trying to maintain some sort of performance was sucky and i was tired a lot. Then once at goal weight it took about 3 months to stabilize.

Its a tough road

Mate, that's a huge loss, congrats! What did you do?

On 4/30/2024 at 9:52 PM, DJuice said:

100 grams of these is 75grams carb.

@ChrisF lyk dit bekend.4EA35A25-DB83-4DDA-94BB-7EA7F7700F34.jpeg.c22e7d62d1dae2d2d20f122ff272b8fb.jpeg

I cannot stand this stuff. 

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

https://www.eatingbirdfood.com/date-energy-balls/

I really enjoy date balls, takes a little input to make but you can at least make them taste nice and vary the flavour a lot to not get bored of the same old flavour week after week.

My mother-in-law makes the date balls for us, packed in ice cream tubs.😀

Between myself and the boys, it is a race to the bottom.